Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Flying Mounts Expiring

GravityGravity Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I agree that flying mounts should be a rare thing, BUT I don't agree with them unavoidably dying. How about adding a system that allows people who have Mastered Animal Husbandry to "repair" the mounts. It would be expensive and cost lots of rescource, but I feel it would be better than working hard for it, just to know that it's going to disappear later anyways. I don't feel that there is a point to getting a flying mount, as it just dies later. And, obviously, if someone in Inactive they aren't going to a Master Breeder so the egg will expire. This would allow active members the chance to keep they're mounts through hard work, but not let them go inactive and still keep it.

Comments

• Gravity wrote: »
    I agree that flying mounts should be a rare thing, BUT I don't agree with them unavoidably dying. How about adding a system that allows people who have Mastered Animal Husbandry to "repair" the mounts. It would be expensive and cost lots of rescource, but I feel it would be better than working hard for it, just to know that it's going to disappear later anyways. I don't feel that there is a point to getting a flying mount, as it just dies later. And, obviously, if someone in Inactive they aren't going to a Master Breeder so the egg will expire. This would allow active members the chance to keep they're mounts through hard work, but not let them go inactive and still keep it.

If a mount can be repaired, as the server gets old, there will be even more mounts. Since they won't die, eventually many will have a mount.

The idea mount is a special status for extremely powerful people in the world. The fact that we can get one as a drop is just a bonus
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Nope, because within a couple years everyone would have flying mounts to epeen over, whether they could use them or not. Rarity increases value and worth in gaming. If everyone can have it, then no one wants it.

If you are lucky enough to get access to a flying mount. Take screenshots and video for the day you can wax nostalgic about the time before Grognar (or whatever you name it) died.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • GravityGravity Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not necessarily. First of all, it's a rare drop, from a rare boss, that people are RARELY able to fight. you would need a guild to fight it, and then to keep repairing it is very expensive. yes, it might bring a few more flying mounts into play, but the Majority of people aren't going to have them still.
  • GravityGravity Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't mean a one time repair, Say it last 24 hours. You repair it before it expires for another 24 hours, then again at the end of that 24 hours. You would have to continuously work to keep it alive. and only people who have Mastered Husbandry will be able to repair it, so you would have to seek out help if you haven't mastered that skill.

I agree with the part that flying mounts, from dragon eggs, shouldn't die. I instead want the option to release them and watch them fly away. That would be awesome.
  • Nah, it then forces you to upkeep the mount. Its like those stupid daily quests. In theory it looks great, I get to do stuff every day and get some rewards. But once you start doing, it feels tiring and you feel like you need to log in to do that daily, because you will fall behind.

I believe the same thing would be with mount repair. You feel, like you are forced to do it, or else you gonna lose it. When you know you gonna lose and there is nothing you can do about it, then you are not forced to do anything.
  • Are you suggesting, or have you heard somewhere, that all players will eventually be able to have flying mounts?
    My understanding is that there are only 10 or so per server for the elites.
    "Don't be hasty."
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    There are rare egg drops that have a timer on the egg. You take them to someone with Animal Husbandry to hatch them. Depending on the their level of mastery the egg will hatch into a mount with 15-30 days of life. Once you activate the mount the timer will start ticking down, then it dies. It has all the restrictions like timed use and having to be launched from a Royal Stable just like the ones for Mayors/Kings/Queens. @IllusionTokomi
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • ah. Gotcha.
    Thank you @unknownsystemerror
    "Don't be hasty."
    I don't mean a one time repair, Say it last 24 hours. You repair it before it expires for another 24 hours, then again at the end of that 24 hours. You would have to continuously work to keep it alive. and only people who have Mastered Husbandry will be able to repair it, so you would have to seek out help if you haven't mastered that skill.

I'm not really in favor of this but I understand your plea.
    We're so used to having everything in a game, that the idea of not being able to access something makes us think it's not fair
  • WiplasherWiplasher Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    You're idea at first glance is obviously enticing but as unknown said everyone would have one.

You talk about repairing them... Well just like that more and more people would be able to repair them easily due to inflation.
  • I think the current system will probably make flying look stupid as is. I think they should make flying mounts permanent, but the better ones can fly higher. The crappy ones should have a height limit, so that flying in a fleet looks better. Right now it's just going to be 1 guy flying by himself using abilities. I'm fine with either though. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do see merits in the current plan for it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East