Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lessons I've learned from D&D/games, it doesn't really suck as a player to get into trouble.

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I really root for the bad guys. I loved the addition of the Monsterous Races to D&D and I played a kobold beast master ranger named Flip, whom rode a giant hunting spider, and used a whip, he was "neutral" but tended towards being petty.

I also really enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons Online's inclusion of traps and lock picking, I think that made being a rogue really feel like you got the flavor of being a rogue. An element that's hard to do, because robbing NPCs in a game is hard to balance well, and takes a lot of resources to really fulfill that flavor.

The fun of being a rogue wasn't just that you were good at being a dick, but you were good at all sorts of things that involved dickery, whether or not dickery was the flavor for you, it was a flavor that rogues were especially good at taking on.

Dickery is something I think can be very fun and when you face consequences for it, done well, its really fun!

I love systems like that, where, for instance, you're sent off to an island or a new place as a prisoner. Elder Scrolls Morrowind you arrive and its from a prison ship that you get your start in Morrowind. I think that's a very (cost) effective way to punish an action and an economical way to do so within a coding environment, because placing a player in a new location, and that location existing anyways, is interesting.

Think if you were at war with a Node and you had evil players, and you exiled them, and dumped them off in your Rival's Node, or into a neutral node, and boom suddenly this causes stuff to happen in the world.

I find that interesting.

I find that punishing players, doesn't have to always be with a stick. Making someone go through a prison, or being stuck in forsaken lands, isn't necessarily a bad thing. Conan (the survival crafting game) starts you off as a person crucified for their actions against w/e state it was. Then a passing stranger (I think its literally Conan in the game) saves you and has mercy on you and sets you off on your new adventure stuck in those lands.

Being persecuted being cast down, all these things that are in life terrible things to actually experience, can actually in games be the seeds of very promising experiences that's so cool I wish more people were allowed to embrace that.

Comments

• Options
    As long as the Rogue's Dickery is mirrored in concept for other classes. There already is going to be unique reasons to have each class. I just don't know what they all are yet. Rogues are going to be able to access rooms in a dungeon parties without Rogues won't be able to. I just want every class to be that useful in other ways.

That said I don't think putting players in prison is a good idea. XD The game is going to already punish you for being a dick because other players are just going to kill you.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East