Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Does this game have scyhte as a weapon?

randomrandsrandomrands Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
i just wondering if this game has schyte as weapon, bc not many games have those. so just curious about this.

Comments

• Scythe? A different image comes to mind with Schyte 😅
  • For some reason I just pictured him running around slapping people with a dildo.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • "harvesting scythes" as a weapon
  • Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    For some reason I just pictured him running around slapping people with a dildo.

that would be funny
  • i just wondering if this game has schyte as weapon, bc not many games have those. so just curious about this.

Its not listed under weapons in the aoc wiki. So no idts.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I myself always thought scythes to be quiet anime.
    Yes, there were cases were scythes or war scythes were used by farmers that were drafted, but they were then replaced by helbards.

FNS8455b.png?v=1595614493
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • well this game is so medieval fantasy
  • I think scythes are cool and am all for variety. Scythes don't really fit historically but this is a fantasy, and it's not unprecedented.
  • YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited August 2020
    War Scythes do, but he actually was just talking about a weapon I never heard about. I can see there being swords that are probably close to being one, but halberds will probably be the preferred form. I'm not really against more cool weapons, but seems unlikely.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Maybe as a staff
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Animal husbandry can make a scyther
  • lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not confirmed but you may see one that looks similar under the polearm category or staff category.

Personally, I'd like to see them as they create a bada** silhouette imo. They remind me of the Dark Knights from Final Fantasy XI, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, and Dark Souls games. It feels like the perfect weapon for a dark heavy armor class along with Great Swords.
    signature.png
    The thing with the scythe design, is that it is not really realistic. Steven already once said that they want to go with a realistic approach concerning proportions, and a massive head on top of a large stick is not really good for fighting xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • BeateerrBeateerr Member
    edited August 2020
    I think he thought of like Grim reapers' Death scythe
  • I definitely wouldn't see the scythe as much of a weapon itself, but it would be cool to see something like it as a staff for mages/necromancers/death cultist type characters. Just holding one and doing some kind of death magic would be good enough for me.
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't see the scythe as much of a weapon itself, but it would be cool to see something like it as a staff for mages/necromancers/death cultist type characters. Just holding one and doing some kind of death magic would be good enough for me.

They could go with the GW2 design. Take a normal staff, and then give it a scythe blade if you cast magic.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't see the scythe as much of a weapon itself, but it would be cool to see something like it as a staff for mages/necromancers/death cultist type characters. Just holding one and doing some kind of death magic would be good enough for me.

They could go with the GW2 design. Take a normal staff, and then give it a scythe blade if you cast magic.

I did always like that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Beekeeper wrote: »

well that sounds amazing, never see game that uses scythes as staff instead melee weapon
  • I would like to see the 1 handed variant of scythes, maybe even a chain attached with an iron weight for maximum damage. If this game takes on weapon type damage resistances and weakness, a weapon with dual weapon types depending on which end connected would be amusing, such as in this case crushing and slashing.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

well that sounds amazing, never see game that uses scythes as staff instead melee weapon
    DC Universe Online certainly does.

Hhak63P.png
  • lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Atama wrote: »

DC Universe Online certainly does.

I think I've seen it in FFXI, FFXIV, WoW, and GW2 (temporary effect)

The necromancers getting in Guild Wars 2 was a very cool effect so that's a plausible way if they won't implement it as a full weapon class of its own.
    signature.png
  • War Scythes were a real weapon used in wars. Used in many Uprisings in Europe for about 500 years. They are not structured as a Grim Reaper design though. They are more along the lines of a Single or Double pronged Pike.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • I would like to see the 1 handed variant of scythes, maybe even a chain attached with an iron weight for maximum damage. If this game takes on weapon type damage resistances and weakness, a weapon with dual weapon types depending on which end connected would be amusing, such as in this case crushing and slashing.

You're talking about a kusarigama. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, since none of the races seem to have any Japanese/Korean vibe to it as far as I can see. Putting in ninja weapons would feel off without the right cultural backdrop. With how many Asian mmo's left a bad aftertaste in many players' mouth, I can't help but feel that this omission is intentional.
  • They could give elves Japanese weapons due to it being a naturally agile race in fantasy.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
    I would like to see the 1 handed variant of scythes, maybe even a chain attached with an iron weight for maximum damage. If this game takes on weapon type damage resistances and weakness, a weapon with dual weapon types depending on which end connected would be amusing, such as in this case crushing and slashing.

You're talking about a kusarigama. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, since none of the races seem to have any Japanese/Korean vibe to it as far as I can see. Putting in ninja weapons would feel off without the right cultural backdrop. With how many Asian mmo's left a bad aftertaste in many players' mouth, I can't help but feel that this omission is intentional.

I think that one of the orcs had Korean/Asian influences.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    png-transparent-weapon-character-weapon-fictional-character-rwby-weapon.png
    scyth weapon and doubtful as they apparently only want small weapons
  • Beekeeper wrote: »
    I would like to see the 1 handed variant of scythes, maybe even a chain attached with an iron weight for maximum damage. If this game takes on weapon type damage resistances and weakness, a weapon with dual weapon types depending on which end connected would be amusing, such as in this case crushing and slashing.

The one handed version of the scythe is the sickle, I included an image below, as both are primarily used for harvesting. Both the sickle and scythe were make-shift weapons - with both only being effective in the forward swing, as only the inside edge is sharpened, and the later being quite unwieldy in even experienced hands as it is designed for a low swing for cutting at the base of grain stalks.

The Kusarigama, with the counter-weight and chain, takes the Asian version of the sickle and attaches a weighted chain to make it a less predictable weapon than the sickle alone. The Kusarigama was fashioned with the intent for use as a weapon.

While I could see the scythe and sickle in-game they would be very lack-luster weapons.

Non-Asian Sickle
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg0.etsystatic.com%2F040%2F0%2F9184374%2Fil_570xN.631962190_tmml.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
  • Sickles will probably be used as tools for herbalism or something. Possibly as a dagger equivalent (as they are in DnD).
    Aardvark wrote: »
    scyth weapon and doubtful as they apparently only want small weapons

That's just not true, the wiki outlines all kinds of two-handed or large weapons. Just because they're not going for oversized manga sword aesthetics doesn't mean "large" weapons won't be included.