Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Mandatory Surnames (or at least spaces). Thoughts?

AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
As the hype for the game has been growing, I'm sure i'm not the only backer that's returning to the community to see how progress has been going. One thing that's been sticking with me when viewing the recent streams is that their character names are usually simple single names. The recent stream from Friday however, I noticed Steven's name now said StevenShariff and not say, Steven Shariff.

Something I enjoyed about FFXIV and ESO, is that in 14, you're required to choose a first and last name, and in ESO, you're allowed to use spaces. This allows you to be creative with your name without constantly being bombarded with "This name is already taken" messages.

We all know that feeling when you keep coming up with name ideas, and it keeps telling you that it's taken, so you keep coming up with alternatives that are further and further from what you wanted, until you just run out of ideas and start modifying the spelling of your name choices until something fits

Like, if a person wants to name their character Karion or something, but it's taken, and so they try Gideon, and then Farion, and so on and so forth, and after like 20 names give up and go back to Karion but keep modifying the spelling until finally the game accepts "Kaereeeonn" and you look like a moron.

At least in the video, he was able to make a name long enough to look like a good enough first/last name, but it would look quite a bit better if we are at least allowed a space or two, and maybe a hyphen.

Games like wow, bdo, archage, all are limited to one continuous string of letters, which makes character name diversity really suffer. Whereas FFXIV and ESO have a breadth of diverse character names. Sure even those games have their share of... weird ass names, but they aren't particularly difficult when it comes to choosing a name you're happy with for your character for the vast majority of people.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Naming systems should allow spaces and minor punctuation like apostrophes and dashes by default. It gives a lot more freedom in naming.

Big no to required surnames though. That’d be a hassle
  • Options
    Over1anderOver1ander Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Hated it in BDO, at least the family name part. There will be other forms of RP, we don't need required names.
    If I can't just be Over1ander I don't want it.

Punctuation should be allowed and most likely will though.
  • Options
    I think it should allow spaces, but there should be 1 name option and about 20 characters. They can do what discord or Blizzard does and assign a number to your name. So let's say there are two people named Rick. Well one is Rick#794 and the other is Rick#382. That way people can have the same name, like you can in real life, and be identified in game separately. What will display when you mouse over them is just Rick though. To add to your friends list equivalent you will need the number though.

I think this is just the best way to do it so everyone can have whatever name they want. People can even have rivalries or bonds with other people who share the same name.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Having the option for both a Single name and a First and Family Name would work well and increase the available name's (and combinations) to players
  • Options
    There's a family system already planned for the game, which enables you to join families with friends, so it would be cool to see names tie into that, so that a family name can be shared between more characters if they belong to the same family unit.

As an example, Steven would make a character called "Steven Sharif", with the family name Sharif. Once he meets a new friend called Steve X, of the family X, he can invite Steve into his family, making him henceforth "Steve Sharif".

Or when "StevenSharif" creates a family, he calls it "Floorgang", so he is henceforth called "StevenSharif Floorgang", and all members of the family also have the " Floorgang" suffix. Less static, but obviously puts the importance of a unique first name back on the table.
  • Options
    Yes, I absolutely FOR it.
    I've even created a thread in the past that was bashed by the community BTW.

Have a character have a mandatory surname that has to be unique to your account (several characters on your account can share it, but other people can't take it). Then have a first-name that doesn't have to be server-unique at all.

In fact, allow alts on your account to have exactly the same name, if you want to.
  • Options
    Allowing spaces and surnames - yes.

Making surnames mandatory - 1000% no. A lot of people proudly go by a single-name gamer tag.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    As long as I don't have to type all kinds of crazy shit to get someone in my party. In FFXIV with surnames and the obnoxious implementation of cross server. To invite someone on the same server its like: "/invite Name Surname @ servername". When "/invite name" would work fine for the 10% of the server whos first name is not "Cloud".

I just give up every time and make the person start a party finder party.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    As long as I don't have to type all kinds of crazy shit to get someone in my party. In FFXIV with surnames and the obnoxious implementation of cross server. To invite someone on the same server its like: "/invite Name Surname @ servername". When "/invite name" would work fine for the 10% of the server whos first name is not "Cloud".

I just give up every time and make the person start a party finder party.

That's also a problem with single name games though. When you want to invite lsIldorrrrrrrGraetmerrrrrr, you better have a way to copy and paste, or it's going to take ages to figure out the cryptic writing.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Naming systems should allow spaces and minor punctuation like apostrophes and dashes by default. It gives a lot more freedom in naming.

Big no to required surnames though. That’d be a hassle

Have to agree, completely.

It's not something I would make use of generally, but it's absolutely a good idea.
  • Options
    I like how GW2 has done it. every account has a name and number tied to it, such as name#1234. and character names you have complete freedom to use whatever you want. so you could run into a character named john, and another character named john, but when you mouse over their name it shows the account name. so the first john is name#1234 and the second john is smith#6789.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I hate name rules of any form, except "No special characters !@#$%&&**"
  • Options
    MeiraMeira Member
    edited August 2020
    Aisa Aax wrote: »
    Yes, I absolutely FOR it.
    I've even created a thread in the past that was bashed by the community BTW.

Have a character have a mandatory surname that has to be unique to your account (several characters on your account can share it, but other people can't take it). Then have a first-name that doesn't have to be server-unique at all.

In fact, allow alts on your account to have exactly the same name, if you want to.

I'm strongly against it. It's a poor option for roleplay, I believe.
    1. What about characters that don't have a last name? If I wanted to create, say, a bounty hunter known only by their vaguely menacing pseudonym, it would look somewhat silly if they had a last name attached by default.
    2. In fantasy games different cultures often have different naming conventions. If my first character is an elf and I give them a proper Empyrean surname, there is a good chance it might look ridiculously out of place on a Vek alt.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gods no, I'm Nagash and that it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would allow for more Names of the same kind, no one would be able to steal my name.

@Nagash Just go for "Nagash the Necromancer" if they allow more then one Space.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can see where people would have a problem with mandatory surnames in particular if they just want to be known by a single name, for the same reason someone might have a problem with being restricted to a single name.

I don't think mandatory family names in the way that Aisa brought up is in any way a good idea. Since that in and of itself would be restricted on creation in the same way any single name generation would be restricted, it would fall to the same problem. my FFXIV example due to the fact that each individual character is required to create two unique "names" so that the combination of these names greatly opens up the probability that either one is available, which makes it much easier for people to create a name they are happy with.

It seems like the best way to go would be punctuation afterall. That way someone who wants to name themselves just a single name can, and if someone wants a double name, they can too.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Adlehyde wrote: »
    I can see where people would have a problem with mandatory surnames in particular if they just want to be known by a single name, for the same reason someone might have a problem with being restricted to a single name.

I would just go with Damokles Damokles.
    a6XEiIf.gif