Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Arachnaphobia option

This is a bit niche, and could be annoying to add, but old wow did it, so I think it might be ok, anyway, I wasnt going to bother asking till I saw the model for one of the spiders when asmongold was reacting to it, so I just came to ask that mabye we could have an arachnaphobia option? Mabye changing them from spiders to another type of mob visually, keep the name abilities the same, idk , I wouldn't mind them saying spider and looking out of place on a different mob, but idk how it would work, but just a suggestion.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only thing we have to fear is fear its self and if that fails use fire, lots and lots of fire
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    This would be a very demanding requirement, but only because of where would they have to stop. Would they stop at arachnophobia, or would have to extend this courtesy to other types of phobias as well. It's best they not even tread in this territory, and just focus on making the best game possible. The only time I see something like this even be considered is with colorblind mode...........?????????......... After thinking about it, I'm not completely certain, but I think altering a game's content for the sake of something like a phobia can lead to bad places. Colorblindness is adjusting the colors so those afflicted can see the intended content as best as possible.
  • Options
    Drag13 wrote: »
    This would be a very demanding requirement, but only because of where would they have to stop. Would they stop at arachnophobia, or would have to extend this courtesy to other types of phobias as well. It's best they not even tread in this territory, and just focus on making the best game possible. The only time I see something like this even be considered is with colorblind mode...........?????????......... After thinking about it, I'm not completely certain, but I think altering a game's content for the sake of something like a phobia can lead to bad places. Colorblindness is adjusting the colors so those afflicted can see the intended content as best as possible.

Yes... I was going to say something similar. I really don't mean to come off as inconsiderate... but there are hundreds if not thousands of different phobias that people can potentially have... and it can be a slippery slope if game developers start to accommodate every phobia request that is presented to them.

First it's arachnophobia... and then it could be acrophoboia (the fear of heights)... And then requests come in asking that mountains and flying mounts be removed/replaced in the game.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    HamletHamlet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    There are other games i've played that have had the option, Satisfactory is one. I feel like it was maybe added as joke? they replace spiders with a generic sprite that just follows you..

I will agree and give props to the art team, those spiders are scary AF. I am def not a fan of spiders in RL but at least for me seeing them in a game isn't anywhere near as bad. I like that there will be area's infested with creepy spiders, gives another level of immersion for me since I will want to go there even less than some other people!
  • Options
    It wouldn't be taxing at all to change the model from the client's end, they should totally do what Blizzard did with bones in China and change all the spiders into loaves of bread though.
  • Options
    I'll zoom it out enough so that spiders aren't a huge issue. I don't like spiders quite a bit, but if I can deal with them then everyone else should too. I'm against adding systems of little value in the long run because then the game takes longer to make. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Namil wrote: »
    It wouldn't be taxing at all to change the model from the client's end, they should totally do what Blizzard did with bones in China and change all the spiders into loaves of bread though.

It's quite a bit taxing to remove all bones from a game and the only reason they did it was to accommodate a population of 1.4 billion people.

Having replaceable models for a very small subset of players doesn't seem realistic to me. And as mentioned before, where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    It's quite a bit taxing to remove all bones from a game and the only reason they did it was to accommodate a population of 1.4 billion people.

Having replaceable models for a very small subset of players doesn't seem realistic to me. And as mentioned before, where do you draw the line?

I was just joking lol, and I know they replaced the bones because of their censorship laws.

If we're talking about just switching models out it would be as easy as grouping models together and having a toggle-able switch specifically for the client, this wouldn't be taxing at all and would more than likely take less than an hour to even implement.

But, I don't think it's a good idea anyway lol.
  • Options
    daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
    edited August 2020
    Namil wrote: »

I was just joking lol, and I know they replaced the bones because of their censorship laws.

If we're talking about just switching models out it would be as easy as grouping models together and having a toggle-able switch specifically for the client, this wouldn't be taxing at all and would more than likely take less than an hour to even implement.

But, I don't think it's a good idea anyway lol.

Oh hah, I apologize. It does seem trivial, but I can't help but think that there's more to it than just swapping out models. Model skeletons should be similar to account for the animations, for example. Also, I'm sure the implementation would involve planning, the implementation itself, testing / smoke-testing, etc. And any other mob that may be a phobia in the future would have more overhead involved because of this as well.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For the Chinese WoW, they didn't just remove Bones, they removed any references to Death.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif