Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wouldn't it be in node's best interest to prevent PVP while inside the node?

daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I bring this question up after asking the discord if NPC guards would prevent PVP in town, the answer was that guards would only attack red (corrupted) players on sight, but will not stop purple (combatants) vs purple PvP.

This makes me think of games that have lawless free cities, which is fine to have, but having no city enforce civility while inside? It doesn't make much sense to me. I would think guards would attack any instigators within the walls.

I'm not saying to make cities absolutely a safe space, keep it so that players can still attack each other, but have guards act realistically, maybe even based on the node type?

Maybe I was misinformed though.

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't sound correct to me. I heard steven himself say that you can fight in cities, but there are guards around. Implying that they will stop pvp if they see you doing it.

Still not out yet so we'll see how it ends up. I'm for town pvp if the guards have a chance at stopping it at least.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Doesn't sound correct to me. I heard steven himself say that you can fight in cities, but there are guards around. Implying that they will stop pvp if they see you doing it.

Still not out yet so we'll see how it ends up. I'm for town pvp if the guards have a chance at stopping it at least.

Okay if this is true that sounds much better :) . Otherwise we have another Mortal Online or Darkfall online.
  • Options
    Think about it this way. If you have a guild whos collective thought is to keep order within the city you can ask the mayor of that city to be the active city guards. He can make announcements that no pvp is allowed and any combantent will be slayn on sight.

Then your guild is in charge of keeping that order while at the same time you could ally urself with other guilds to help you out to keep that order.

If the "fun" is stopped right after it started people wont be doing it anymore. and you get resources and payment for that work. I think open systems like that can breed all kinds of oportunitys.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Think about it this way. If you have a guild whos collective thought is to keep order within the city you can ask the mayor of that city to be the active city guards. He can make announcements that no pvp is allowed and any combantent will be slayn on sight.

Then your guild is in charge of keeping that order while at the same time you could ally urself with other guilds to help you out to keep that order.

If the "fun" is stopped right after it started people wont be doing it anymore. and you get resources and payment for that work. I think open systems like that can breed all kinds of oportunitys.

Sounds like this would be a hassle considering mayors potentially change month to month. So those rules would change frequently. I'm still in favor of having NPC guards handle it vs players.

Plus having players handle those rules and having big guilds as enforcers I feel like can really ruin the game for a lot of players.

Whose to say that those alpha guilds don't start demanding payment for any combatant who enters the city, or face death? Camping? Specially if they're already a citizen. Doesn't seem right
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Every mmo city I have ever entered had purple on purple pvp. There is always that guy standing in front of the tavern challenge everybody that passes by to a duel.

Now if a green is attack in city limits the guards should respond immediately and eliminate the threat otherwise what is the point of having them stand around in the first place.
  • Options
    jubilum wrote: »
    Every mmo city I have ever entered had purple on purple pvp. There is always that guy standing in front of the tavern challenge everybody that passes by to a duel.

Now if a green is attack in city limits the guards should respond immediately and eliminate the threat otherwise what is the point of having them stand around in the first place.

"/duel" is different than open pvp though
  • Options
    well for your mayor changing situation. if the mayor does a good job and you have an agreement you, your guild and your allies could vote for him again. having a big impact on continuity. i do see your point though.

then again just think about it. the corrupted player will lose a lot when he dies. so starting fights within the city with someone doesnt benefit him at all because if the other person doesnt even fight back he gains nothing. frankli kill other players doesnt gain you anything as far as i know except maybe some dropped resources but then again its not even worth it becoming corrupted in a BUSY city and lose more than you gained so i think the system itself will sort that out
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some kind of 'challenge' type PVP in cities would be great but un-provoked PVP should be punished by guards since it makes sense.