Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will dungeons work if they're open-world/non-instanced

Hey all,

So from the July Dev Update we saw Steven, Toast and Margaret go explore a dungeon on their flying mounts when (I believe) non-instanced and just exploring the world (I think the 90 minute Pre-alpha footage showed it too). So I started to wonder, how would this work when you have 1000s of people wanted to take on the same dungeon?
This led (naturally) to other questions:
  1. Are some dungeons going to be instanced? (I haven't seen any mentions of this, so if anyone can point me to the right direction, I'd appreciate).
  2. How would the "open-world" dungeons work exactly when it comes to loot, teaming and exp?

Looking forward to hear everyone's thoughts (perhaps this has been answered before? Idk).

Comments

• Options
    I belive they said that if your grindspot in the dungen is contestet you kill your competition.
    It will be nice to know if you can work off your corruption before the guys you just killed come back.

That beeing said i would only gain corruption if my victims dont fight back.

So dungens as i understood are more like grindspots with bosses rather then the typical dungen from World of warcraft.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Instancing is only going to happen in certain dungeons where the desire is to have greater narrative appeal. Outside of these and arenas there will not be too much instancing anywhere else.[6]
    There will be an 80/20 split between open world vs instanced encounters.[12][8][9]

This is what we have from the Wiki.
    The real dungeons/raids will be open world.
  • Options
    Xenotor wrote: »
    I belive they said that if your grindspot in the dungen is contestet you kill your competition.
    It will be nice to know if you can work off your corruption before the guys you just killed come back.

That beeing said i would only gain corruption if my victims dont fight back.

So dungens as i understood are more like grindspots with bosses rather then the typical dungen from World of warcraft.

Hmm, yeah I see your point. I don't know how I feel about that LOL but will certainly be different and thus interesting!
  • Options
    AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's sort of a throwback to old school MMOs. If you've ever played EQ, you'd know that, while the dungeon is it's own zone, it's still a full zone and not instanced, so there would be many parties in the dungeon. You'd have to find and carve out your grind spot to get XP, and in many cases get specific drops... that might take a long time to get. (Damn you Cazic Thule!)