Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I Want Democratic Guilds

JuvensJuvens Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I wish to create a guild where various decisions can be voted over anonymously by the members. Including elections for leadership of the guild!

I want to suggest an option when you create a guild to choose a democratic guild. The founder of the guild will be guild leader for the first period. Then a new (or the same) guild leader will be elected for the next period (1 month?) and so on. Everyone who wish to be guild leader can put their own name forward at any time before the next election. During the last week of the term, all members can vote for who they want as their next guild leader and have 1 vote per account. Anyone who wish to vote must have been a member for a certain time (2 weeks?) to get the right to vote, to prevent mass recruitment for votes.

If it turns out members are unhappy with the new person in charge, all members have the option at any time to issue a vote of no confidence. Once 60% of the members that have been online in recent days and have the right to vote is in favor, the guild leader has to go immediately. Also if the guild leader has been offline for too long this process will happen automaticly. A guild leader can also resign at any time with this result.
An election for who should lead for the remaining period will immediately take place with 24 hours to vote. In the meantime one of the runners up in the last election that's currently online will be randomly chosen and put in the vacant seat for these 24 hours.

There will also be restrictions in place to prevent tyranny, like only being able to kick a few players each day.

It would also be pretty neat to have the option where the guild leader and his advisors are able to customise their own straw polls to be used within the guild to get the opinion on small and large matters. It can be what the tax rate should be, what node to siege next or what to name your cat, the options are limitless.

Anyone else want a system like this within guilds? Let me hear your ideas!

Edit: If it wasn't obvious that I want this as a feature in game, here's why.

A guild where the guild leader passes for every election is too risky and everything you've build up can be destroyed in 1 day, without any mechanics in place to prevent it. This is more true the more influential the guild gets. It's too easy for other guilds to bribe their way to destruction of such a guild, or for the leader itself to seize power.
As there may be special perks like guild tools and flying mounts for guild leaders, I see the election of leadership important.

How do you make sure anonymous votes are real and representative if you were to use something apart from the game? There will be a voting system for the elections of mayors for scientific nodes, so I can't see why they can't implement it in guilds as well should they want to.

Without these functions in place there is no point of setting up a democratic guild.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Then make one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    As long as it is a choice during guild creation I am fine with it. I just don't see anyone creating a guild to choose this option. Most people who create a guild see it as their "baby" and dedicate many hours of work building it. And, as long as people are free to leave a guild at anytime and join another or create their own, why would this even be an option.

There does need to be a mechanic in place if the guild owner disappears from the game without giving someone full access to everything. This could be done thru an election process. But if the owner returns he still has complete access to guild admin and assets, include taking away the elected leaders full access role.
  • Options
    Just thought it would be fun to have guilds organised like this with built it mechanics like elections and votes.
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    Then make one

The dead are always the practical ones.

But yeah, how the internal mechanics of a guild are ran is completely up to the players. Intrepid won't have control over any guild's inner workings (although I'm sure tools to help run/organize will be put in place) , just the creation of them and how the size effects how they function in the world.

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Step by step guide to making this without needing special help.

1. You make the guild to make sure the democratic elections are upheld.
    2. Make a discord for the guild with different levels of members and a special officer rank which gives ALOT of power over the guild.
    3. Give the elected person said officer Rank in-game and discord role if they win.

That's about as close as you'll get.
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    I would love for the elected person to become guild leader so the guild can run itself, but if the elected don't respect future elections there is no system in place preventing them to do so.
    There is also a problem when it comes to voting. How do you make sure it's made only by people with voting rights within the guild? 1 vote each member is also a headache.

That's why I would love to see this as a feature in the game. It would add so much flavor.
  • Options
    I think most people just want a guild where the guild players are active and actually have a reason to help one another out. Democratic voting would be more internal in the actual guild rather then have a system built around that idea. We prefer to have a guild system where the guild leader holds all the power and all the decision making even if they haven't logged in for multiple months.
  • Options
    I'm for the guild leader being a monarch in everything but the Loot System.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I'm for the guild leader being a monarch in everything but the Loot System.

Trust me, we know your stance on the loot system.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Naxxaz wrote: »
    Step by step guide to making this without needing special help.

1. You make the guild to make sure the democratic elections are upheld.
    2. Make a discord for the guild with different levels of members and a special officer rank which gives ALOT of power over the guild.
    3. Give the elected person said officer Rank in-game and discord role if they win.

That's about as close as you'll get.

so many hours of coding saved, my hero
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I always said one thing to my raiders:
    "You may believe that you are a part of a democracy, but this is a dictatorship/oligarchy my friend."
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    MalcMalc Member
    May be wise to post your idea in the guild recruitment section, looking for those with equal desires to yourself and then form a Discord where you can formulate ideas and gain traction with others who wish for a similar experience within the game :)
    kNfIFH6.gif
  • Options
    AmelAmel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I vote against forming this democratic guild