Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cheating corruption

What if i accrue corruption farming greens then have a friend kill me and give my drops back? Better yet what if that friend is a bountyhunter. Now we have a reward system for killing greens?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Then you still have the experience penalty to contend with.
  • Options
    BakuBaku Member
    noaani wrote: »

Not if you are level 50.
    At least I read that you can't get a level downgrade.
    So they could farm freely.

Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    Baku wrote: »

Not if you are level 50.

Or am I wrong?

You are wrong.
  • Options
    BakuBaku Member
    Oh okay. That's good!
  • Options

Not if you are level 50.

Or am I wrong?

You are wrong.
    Do u have a source for that?
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020

Not if you are level 50.

Or am I wrong?

You are wrong.
    I haven't seen that being mentioned anywhere. If deleveling doesn't happen, then I can see how the system can be abused by lvl50 players.
  • Options
    Jibblets wrote: »

Not if you are level 50.

Or am I wrong?

You are wrong.
    Do u have a source for that?

Why do I need one?

Have you looked at what experience debt in Ashes actually is, or are you secretly asking for information in a lazy, confrontational way where you ask for a source for the information you don't have, rather than just asking for the information?
  • Options
    BakuBaku Member
    Well that would be a little bit... bad.
  • Options

Don't worry, @CaptnChuck is wrong.
  • Options

@Baku makes a valid point. You say that he is wrong without any proof. Why don't you give proof first? Here I'll do it for you.

We don't have deleveling, instead what we have is experience debt. Now the more experience debt you accrue, the greater the detriment to your character; not to the point where you can not get out of the debt. There will always be a way forward to remove your debt. – Steven Sharif
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

@Baku makes a valid point. You say that he is wrong without any proof. Why don't you give proof first? Here I'll do it for you.

We don't have deleveling, instead what we have is experience debt. Now the more experience debt you accrue, the greater the detriment to your character; not to the point where you can not get out of the debt. There will always be a way forward to remove your debt. – Steven Sharif

What exactly is this supposed to be proof of?
  • Options
    This post wasnt intended to start a needless flame war but to bring a highly likely abuse of the system to light 🤣
  • Options
    Jibblets wrote: »
    This post wasnt intended to start a needless flame war but to bring a highly likely abuse of the system to light 🤣

Except as I said, there is still the experience penalty to contend with.

There is also the item durability penalty, if you want to carry it on even further - but since no one seems to understand the relavence of the experience debt, i'm not sure there is any point going in to that.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Its proof that you should have used to justify why baku was wrong. Experience debt reduces your combat effectiveness. So even a lvl50 character, despite being max level, will still be affected by it.
  • Options

Its proof that you should have used to justify why baku was wrong. Experience debt reduces your combat effectiveness. So even a lvl50 character, despite being max level, will still be affected by it.

I don't feel the need to provide proof of things that are common knowledge.

While it is entierly possible people may not be aware of what experience debt is in Ashes, as soon as it is mentioned, there is no reason for someone that is wanting to know more to not look it up to find out about it for themself.

As such, why would I - or indeed should I - provide "proof" or a "source" for something that is both common knowledge and easily searchable?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

While it is entierly possible people may not be aware of what experience debt is in Ashes, as soon as it is mentioned, there is no reason for someone that is wanting to know more to not look it up to find out about it for themself.

As such, why would I - or indeed should I - provide "proof" or a "source" for something that is both common knowledge and easily searchable?

Its common knowledge to you since you've been here for a long time. With all the new hype around the game recently, you should be clearer when you tell someone they're wrong, as the majority of people posting right now have just joined recently.
  • Options
    BakuBaku Member
    Maybe in our case it would be good to ask how the Experience Debt system works.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Its common knowledge to you since you've been here for a long time. With all the new hype around the game recently, you should be clearer when you tell someone they're wrong, as the majority of people posting right now have just joined recently.
    Except no one actually asked.

Go through the thread. The OP put forth a scenario, I pointed out that he was missing a portion of the penalty.

Baku said they didn't think it would apply if they were at the level cap, and asked if they were wrong. I said they were wrong.

Then I was asked for sources, which I noped out of.

No one actually bothered to ask exactly what the experience debt penalty entailed, until the post quoted below - although technically Baku is suggesting someone should ask, rather than actually asking.
    Maybe in our case it would be good to ask how the Experience Debt system works.

Sure, since you almost asked.

When you die, you gain an amount of experience debt.

This debt has to be worked off before you can gain any more experience on your character, which is obviously only an issue if you are not at the level cap.

However, for all players with experience debt, it functions as a stat and skill debuff, meaning you are less effective at everything you do, and your equipment is also less effective. On top of that, any mobs you kill while you have experience debt have their drop rates lowered (and this is averaged out in a group setting).

So, if you have experience debt, you are less effective in combat, and gain fewer rewards.

All players gain experience debt when killed, it is actually the basic fundamental block of the games death penalty. However, if you are killed while corrupt, you gain all death penalties at 4 times the rate of non-combatants.

This means if you are in the situation in the OP, where you have so much corruption that you need to be killed many times to get rid of it, you are going to have a debilitating experience debt.

The other major component of the death penalty is gear degredation, which is also multiplied by 4 when killed while corrupt.
  • Options
    BakuBaku Member

This debt has to be worked off before you can gain any more experience on your character, which is obviously only an issue if you are not at the level cap.

However, for all players with experience debt, it functions as a stat and skill debuff, meaning you are less effective at everything you do, and your equipment is also less effective. On top of that, any mobs you kill while you have experience debt have their drop rates lowered (and this is averaged out in a group setting).

So, if you have experience debt, you are less effective in combat, and gain fewer rewards.

All players gain experience debt when killed, it is actually the basic fundamental block of the games death penalty. However, if you are killed while corrupt, you gain all death penalties at 4 times the rate of non-combatants.

This means if you are in the situation in the OP, where you have so much corruption that you need to be killed many times to get rid of it, you are going to have a debilitating experience debt.

The other major component of the death penalty is gear degredation, which is also multiplied by 4 when killed while corrupt.

Okay now I get it and I think that system is a good one. At least I am fine with that.
  • Options
    I can visualize the loophole you are proposing, basically creating a corruption farming loop that would possibly bypass the down side of being corrupt while also boosting a collaborating Bounty Hunter's status while still retaining all the ill gotten loot.

While an interesting idea I agree with others that we really have no idea at this point what will happen to the corrupt person once they have been killed by a bounty hunter or even what the Bounty Hunter will gain.

The other thing is, I would bet there will be something in place to flag people for participating in suspicious activity of this sort similar to botting. So if the system notices that X player has been killed by the same Bounty Hunter 5 times last week, you both may be flagged and scrutinized.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options

Okay now I get it and I think that system is a good one. At least I am fine with that.

Also don't forget that when you die, you're supposed to randomly respawn. You don't go back to your corpse. This means no corpse camping and also having to travel back to the Bounty Hunter.
    We still don't know what happens about resurrection in this scenario.
  • Options

All I am hearing from this guys is "HOW DARE YOU EXPECT ME TO PROVIDE SOURCES FOR KNOWLEDGE I POSSESS! I KNOW WHAT I HAVE READ AND THEREFORE EVERYONE SHOULD JUST ACCEPT WHAT I SAY AS CORRECT!"
    Get over yourself man, the guy brought up a good point and simply wanted a source for your response.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    This thread is a hot mess, and could have been easily avoided by the simple sharing of knowledge. We're all in this together, and posting the right wiki link takes 30 seconds of your day.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death
  • Options
    One quick trip to the wiki explains everything about experience debt. Stop being lazy, it takes literally 30s to look something up before making posts using incorrect information.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    This ^^

So much easier to just check the wiki. There have been many new threads that all I did was a quick search of something like the thread name and then I posted the link. How hard is it to just check first? Or a search of existing threads...
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here we go again
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To any new people looking in,
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Get over yourself man, the guy brought up a good point and simply wanted a source for your response.

Some of the people responding to you have been on some version of these forums posting and debating for years. If you ask something and someone tells you something, it's ok if you don't believe them, but then do the minimal amount of legwork to satisfy your curiosity and check the wiki, or the extensive info sources that community members have put together. It'll speed things along.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

All I am hearing from this guys is "HOW DARE YOU EXPECT ME TO PROVIDE SOURCES FOR KNOWLEDGE I POSSESS! I KNOW WHAT I HAVE READ AND THEREFORE EVERYONE SHOULD JUST ACCEPT WHAT I SAY AS CORRECT!"
    I answered questions as asked.

If someone asks for sources, that is them saying they do not believe you. If someone is asking for sources on something that is easy to find (especially if they ahve just been given the term that they were missing) that says that this person doesn't believe you, and is lazy.

In all cases, it is far better if people look up information directly from the source themself, and form their own opionion about what all the pieces of information on the game that we have actually mean.

It is also in peoples best interests to learn to actually ask reasonable questions if they want answers - something this thread is still sorely lacking.

I don't want players to accept what i say is correct, I want players to look the information up for themselves so I don't need to say it in the first place.