Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mules for Transport Questions

I am curious about Mules for a variety of things.

1. What type of creatures ares Mules? Are they all considered ridable mounts and do they include horses, donkeys, camels, elephants, pack rhinos, fantastic creatures besides Moonstriders and Daystriders such as giant turtles, etc.
2. Will carrying capacity vary between mules?
3. Will husbandry allow players to breed or crossbreed better mules to improve a player's chance of having a Mule that can survive a ganking corrupted player's attack. That is.... Can we be breed faster Mules at the expense of carrying capacity or stronger Mules at the expense of speed? Can we breed unique Mules that are both strong, fast, and have offensive/defensive abilities of their own? ie Shell Armor for Giant Turtle Mules or Stomp Attacks for unique Moonstriders.
4. Will there be specialized Mules for environments such as Water based Mules for over water transport? Can Mules have a favored climate where they move faster? ie Camels in the desert or mammoths for the arctic cold.

Very respectfully,

MIB

Comments

• Options
    HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to see mules that could only be raised, this would create you from having them to early and bringing further use the a skill and the economy.

Also I don't think it should be rideable and would like to aslo see leatherworkers be able to make custom Bags varying in sizes again helping crafting and the economy.

Also blacksmiths could make Donkey Shoes :) to maybe provide small speed boost.
  • Options
    MIBMIB Member
    Sandman wrote: »
    I would like to see mules that could only be raised, this would create you from having them to early and bringing further use the a skill and the economy.

Also I don't think it should be rideable and would like to also see leatherworkers be able to make custom Bags varying in sizes again helping crafting and the economy.

Also blacksmiths could make Donkey Shoes :) to maybe provide small speed boost.

It would make sense for them to be rideable. Afterall the pony express in the wild west made deliveries and they are called saddlebags for a reason. There could be different tiers of saddles and saddlebags for crafters. However, that being said I think if you were riding it that your weight should be subtracted from the max carrying capacity. So.... You can ride it but it won't be able to carry as much as you do. The penalty of this would vary on the mount. A light riding horse wouldn't be able to carry much additional if it is also your transport but carrying you would barely have an impact on a huge animal like an elephant. The elephant would theoretically have a higher carrying capacity so even with your weight included it won't matter. However, elephants move slower than horses which might make it hard to get away from attackers although specially bred war elephants might have attacks of their own and strong health.

• Options
    MIB wrote: »
    3. Will husbandry allow players to breed or crossbreed better mules to improve a player's chance of having a Mule that can survive a ganking corrupted player's attack. That is.... Can we be breed faster Mules at the expense of carrying capacity or stronger Mules at the expense of speed? Can we breed unique Mules that are both strong, fast, and have offensive/defensive abilities of their own? ie Shell Armor for Giant Turtle Mules or Stomp Attacks for unique Moonstriders.

The possibilities with husbandry really are endless. Very exciting stuff to talk about.

Perhaps Elephants or Mules that give a "herd buff" if they're next to other animals. Speed/Defense/Carry Capacity.
  • Options
    MIBMIB Member
    Bearheart wrote: »
    MIB wrote: »

The possibilities with husbandry really are endless. Very exciting stuff to talk about.

Perhaps Elephants or Mules that give a "herd buff" if they're next to other animals. Speed/Defense/Carry Capacity.

They may be borrowing some ideas from the Star Wars Galaxies Creature Handler for the Artisian Tamer and Husbandry professions which is good since they had the best system. Although Star Wars Galaxies allowed for some really huge mounts that shook the ground like a T-Rex when you rode them so not sure if they will go that far. Mounts which I hope include Mules can have a lot of customization from other professions since you can have saddles, saddlebags, and horseshoes. Perhaps cooks can even make specialized feed that gives mounts a buff.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    MIBMIB Member

I should of posted this in the beginning and although the link does lead to the information on Mules it is still very vague. It says carrying ten backpacks worth yet if there are tiers of craftable backpacks then that can have all kinds of meaning. Ashes of Creation should scrap that idea and go with carrying capacity being based on the species of the Mule and whether it has any perks bred to increase that capacity which normally should be what I assume to be is 10 starter untiered backpacks. It also says Mules are mounts and are breedable but doesn't go into specifics or if they will be able to have crossbreeds like other husbandry animals. So.... We don't know if we can tweak their species, speed, capacity, or defensive and offensive capability if any. Not much mention is made about what happens to a Mule when it reaches water although we know there are water based mounts such as the otter and turtle. Can otters and turtles function as Mules? I tend to doubt that the only Mules are the Daystrider and Moonstriders which makes the husbandry skill kind of useless for them unless you just want a carbon copy mount and want to breed them like a Xerox copy machine. Those choosing the husbandry profession are going to want to do more than make carbon copy clone mounts just like weapon and armor makers are going to want to be able to make unique weapons and gear.