Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The art of seduction and the settlement of words in stone in video games

Elder SoulElder Soul Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
With the passage of time, the use of predetermined phrases became a trend in order to appeal to different emotions or feelings in consumers, but they rarely have to do with the final intention or the result achieved.

If you want, you can contribute with some epic phrase commonly used and that has captivated you but that had little to do with what you ended up finding or experiencing.

It is not uncommon to find phrases such as:

- "You can do what you want when you want"
- "Rewards according to your effort and dedication"
- "Without you this would not be possible"
- "A form of play for each style of player"
- ¨A vast universe to be explored¨
- "Your future begins"
- "Your opinion matters to us and has great value"
- "We are against a toxic environment"
- "We are lovers of video games"
- "A balanced and fair game environment"
- "Forge your Legend"
- ¨Options without limits¨
- "Your actions have an impact on the game world"
- "Write your own story"
- "We belong to the old school"
- "Be part of a huge community"
- "Alliances between players make the rules"
- "Discover the secrets and mysteries of an unexplored land"
- "Hundreds of possible combinations to create a unique character"
- "A world full of riches, dangers and adventures"
- ¨Clame your destiny¨
- "You are all amazing"

It is understandable that the industry tries to captivate the consumer by appealing to emotions, feelings and desires through the exaltation of certain aspects of the game, but expectations are generally raised above the true result to be achieved and in this way discontent and frustration come .

It is also logical to think of positivism and all the energy put into the project by each member who acts as an intensifier of emotions, but in the long run it is best to be a little more realistic in terms of generating expectations and raising them too much high.

Not being able to reach that height becomes a blow too strong to resist, especially in cases such as that of a video game which lasts for years from its conception until it can be completed.

On the other hand:

¨Do not settle words in stone¨

No one has the ability to see the future or to predict the need for necessary changes over time.

Experience shows in long-term projects that it is always necessary to make changes, reorient the course, adapt, correct and keep moving forward.

This becomes somewhat conflictive when one set firm and immovable bases and made commitments generating expectations.

If changes are generated, those who have joined in the beginning of the project may feel disappointed.

If the necessary and / or claimed changes due to new incorporations or irl needs are not take into account, potential consumers may be defrauded or current needs may not be met.

And this is how without even having reached the end point, without a product to offer, a conflict is already created between the potential customer base.

Those who are worth more and have more rights and those who are not.

Those who can have a greater sense of belonging and those who do not.

And all this without even having a product to consume.

As an example we can cite the case of foundation/baker programs, in this type of practice a great expectation is generated by appealing intensely to emotions, desires and needs in search of support and to achieve this, strong promises of limited time are made ensuring exclusivity, ¨words in stone¨.

With the passage of time and without a final product to offer, more potential consumers approach, eager to access similar benefits and with the same intentions, support and contribute economically to the project in a new phase and receive the same exclusive recognition in return.

It is where the dilemma breaks through.

Grant them the same benefits and opportunities, give them something of less value and relevance or reject them?

Is there no way to satisfy both groups equally, betray the first promise or ignore the claim of a new one leaving them excluded or segregated to a lower category?

It is in this way that the segregation of the community begins to take shape and the sense of equity or brotherhood is diluted, which at some point was used as a pillar of what they wanted to build.

That is just one example of many and a reminder that there is no such thing as equality, absence of toxicity, fair treatment, and unconditional group love on any social basis.

That reality is exactly what millions of consumers end up finding in the final product, far from what is promised or dreamed of.

It is this reality that unleashes an eternity of conflicts and claims which does not end up leading to any good place.

It is up to each of us to know how to handle expectations, realities, successes and frustrations and not to be hypnotized by the skillful and elusive practice of mass seduction.
2fdR01O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So do you multibox?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    So do you multibox?

Nope!
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    So do you multibox?

To be honest, I don't think they can avoid it in any other way than with battalions of GMs patrolling the servers and delivering Banhammers in real time and it is highly unlikely that something like this will happen.

Any other restrictive measure as mentioned in other threads can affect the gaming experience of families, friends or co-known people who share the same connection.

And this topic relates very well to the thread.

They have to be careful not to ¨set in stone¨ measures that cannot be effectively implemented over time or have to be removed because they are more harmful than beneficial.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Elder Soul wrote: »
    So do you multibox?

To be honest, I don't think they can avoid it in any other way than with battalions of GMs patrolling the servers and delivering Banhammers in real time and it is highly unlikely that something like this will happen.

Any other restrictive measure as mentioned in other threads can affect the gaming experience of families, friends or co-known people who share the same connection.

And this topic relates very well to the thread.

They have to be careful not to ¨set in stone¨ measures that cannot be effectively implemented over time or have to be removed because they are more harmful than beneficial.

I really agree with this: Many would like to hear "there will be no multiboxing in our game" but how can you really guarantee that? I don't think you can.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Am I meant to feel seduced now?

I know what you're saying. Don't get hyped by the promised features. What I'm not sure of is if you're new and wanting radical change, or an original pre-kickstarter fan that wants alterations.

I think we all need to let the developers make the game and just give them feedback that is constructive. Of course we shouldn't expect every idea to work, but newcomers also need to understand this game was funded for a reason.
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This read like a freshman that just took a psych 1 class and feel enlightened and obligated to share their deep wisdoms. Had a roommate years ago that used to smoke pot and "tell me how it is" and sounded very much like the OP. James that you?
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    nidriks wrote: »
    Am I meant to feel seduced now?

I know what you're saying. Don't get hyped by the promised features. What I'm not sure of is if you're new and wanting radical change, or an original pre-kickstarter fan that wants alterations.

I think we all need to let the developers make the game and just give them feedback that is constructive. Of course we shouldn't expect every idea to work, but newcomers also need to understand this game was funded for a reason.

Without the founders and Kickstarters there would be no place for the new ones to come and join.

Without the new ones that arrived and joined, there is no future for founders and Kickstarters.

The presence of the first push at the beginning, the newcomers the growing present and a sustainable future.

How would founders enjoy their privileges without a game in which to use them?

It would not be the first case of a game that never sees the light or succeeds but falls into the shadows and oblivion shortly afterwards due to the lack of that much-coveted and necessary influx of newcomers that never arrives or dissipates.

How could newcomers join a new adventure if is not there?

Who is more important?

Who is worth more?
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    This read like a freshman that just took a psych 1 class and feel enlightened and obligated to share their deep wisdoms. Had a roommate years ago that used to smoke pot and "tell me how it is" and sounded very much like the OP. James that you?
    mrwaffles wrote: »

Perhaps your comments when analyzing my person are not an attempt to share your wisdom over mine?

Surely you were not the one who frequented these habits and thought you were accompanying someone else?

In any case, no, never take psych 1 accompanied by a waffle.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Longest bunch of nothing I ever read. As long as the decisions they make are done for the sake of making the game better I will probably be happy with the result if there are a proper steps taken to limit griefing in the game.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Longest bunch of nothing I ever read. As long as the decisions they make are done for the sake of making the game better I will probably be happy with the result if there are a proper steps taken to limit griefing in the game.

Sometimes it is good to read something that in itself is nothing.

Just to relax for a while.

As for decisions vs. success, well, time will tell.
    2fdR01O.jpg