Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Naming nodes.

I recall seeing a vid, possibly featuring the ability to rename your node to a preset list of names.

As much as it sounds cool, I believe it will cause some confusion.

As we all know, castles and nodes will be in static positions on every server. So we all know where they are, no matter the server we are observing (another feature, including phone) or occupying. Yes, the node levels will vary server to server, but the nodes are static.

So, if Mayers were allowed to rename a node, it will cause confusion when trying to discribe where that node is on your server, more so server to server (eg. Comparison). You can't invade Paris if it's in France on my map, but on your map it's in Russia.

As much as I like this feature ( I so wanted to name my town Sheldonville.), I believe it will cause confusion and perhaps some emersion.

Comments

• Options
    NaxxazNaxxaz Member
    edited August 2020
    Don't think it will create too much confusion tbh, maybe in the few cases where it's server to server, but there is already talk of people making sites to keep track of server progress, so you could just check that out.

On the other hand i would hate having a mansion in Ridgewood turn into Coc'n'balz xD

EDIT; Except if it were a Dwarven style node, that would be classy.
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Everytime I think of having to name something this quote from Armegeddon makes me laugh :)

Karl: Sir, I'm retired navy, I know all about classified. But one more thing. The person that finds her gets to name her right?
    Dan: Yes-yes that's right, that's right.
    Karl: I wanna name her Dottie after my wife. She's a vicious life-sucking b*%$#@ from which there is no escape.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    In Star Wars Galaxies we could create a player city almost anywhere we wanted to and could name it anything we wanted. It was never an issue. In Ashes it’ll be even easier since they won’t be located in arbitrary places.

My prediction is that nodes will have some sort of naming system by Intrepid, maybe even something as simple as a number. So Node 48 might be a city on my server and a dungeon in a swamp on yours, but if I say I’m at Node 48 you know where to go.

Again, just speculation but it’s a very easy way for them to do it. And I guarantee you that Intrepid at least has an internal method of keeping track of them, it’s just a question of whether they share it with the players or not.

Worst case scenario, if Intrepid doesn’t give us a way to keep track some player group will do it. There will be a cartographical group that maps out the globe and comes up with their own notation system. It’s inevitable.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Since the game will have GM's on the servers. I assume picking a name when we build cities and a GM checking for it to be OK first should work. to avoid some stupid stuff like ISIS HQ or whatever. as names
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Names will be chosen from a selective list, not custom entries.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png

I'm glad that seems settled. I've wondered about the naming of settlements for a while now, and usually come to the conclusion that it should be the name of the node.

For one thing, who names the settlement if contribution is made by hundreds.

There will be enough contention with the name of guilds, players and possibly mounts.

I suspect we'd probably end up with Legolasville or Aragorntown, if past MMOs are anything to go by.

They might let us name freeholds, within reason.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Worst case scenario, if Intrepid doesn’t give us a way to keep track some player group will do it. There will be a cartographical group that maps out the globe and comes up with their own notation system. It’s inevitable.

That's a cool thought. An alternate-reality hopping cartography guild.