Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Instrument playing in ashes of creation

Some MMO's out there (GW2) have communities dedicated towards playing instruments to form an orchestra/band. It's a cool nifty feature I was wondering if Steven would consider adding this system to Ashes of creation? (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IMqSAoijbE)

The players actually press their keys to create their own songs or play existing tunes (I know scripts exist but theres no fun in that!)

It's 100% an activity that would bring in the crowds at taverns or a town square, it fits perfectly in its own little niche in an MMO world.

Comments

• Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited August 2020
    Be really cool if it were a bard only feature. As long as it doesn't give any party buffs like it did in Star Wars Galaxies. It was a class in that game, but a feature like this really thrives when it is community driven and not buff driven.

I just want it to be bard only because they are the instrument players. Class fantasy thing. That said I would not be opposed to a system either that using a system like this can create custom songs that grant buffs. Just single character hour long buffs though that is shared with consumable buffs.

There is no reason why it can't do both as long as the actual gameplay side effect is extremely minor.

I go to larry for his custom mana regen buff and go to moe for his custom health regen buff. Kind of demographic among bards. Since they are actual songs as well it will be more fun to listen to than the screeching of a banshee murdering a harpy to the tune of scraping nails on a chalkboard.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Something that I would really like to see would be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCt8wbZBUjU
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbjbNGgL8p8

I want to play this if we were to get such a thing. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The have the same thing in holdfast and mordhau
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFXIV and LOTRO have good instrument systems. FFXIV tried to make it so that you can't script it as well, but it is really just a extra step to google how to get around it. Honestly I think LOTRO did it better. You can have save files with all of the songs you have made. Nothing beats playing a hobbit with a over-sized bass lute.

My hobbit was named: "Afro Grooves, father of rhymes"
    I had to make my friend make a character named rhymes to get that above my head.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2020
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Be really cool if it were a bard only feature.

Instruments for bards would be cool. Instruments for everyone would be annoying; it's easy to ignore people emoting all the time in town but not when they're constantly playing instrument sounds.

• Options
    I think it's thematically fine for non-bards to play instruments, any child can pick up a drum and bonk it. Bards can just turn music into magic, that's their unique thing.

It's just recreationally fun if I can relax under a tree after a quest and play a little tune on my flute. And the more reasons the game has for players to stick around, the livelier the world will feel.
  • Options
    NypamNypam Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    I think it's thematically fine for non-bards to play instruments, any child can pick up a drum and bonk it. Bards can just turn music into magic, that's their unique thing.

It's just recreationally fun if I can relax under a tree after a quest and play a little tune on my flute. And the more reasons the game has for players to stick around, the livelier the world will feel.

Couldn't agree more.

Something that Sea of Thieves implemented properly.

• Options
    BoomBoom Member
    @rockett A bard after my own heart. Nothing would make me happier with the bard than to be able to actually perform your own music. Not quite sure how the poetry is going to work out :blush:
    Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen