Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In Game Assets and Entity details read-only API

SorianLoreSorianLore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Planetside, EVE Online, WoW, Albion Online, and a few other games have external APIs to allow folks to do things like creating K:D and other stats signatures for forums, create kill feeds on their discord, etc.

Personally (been building web apps for a long time, including signatures and kill feeds for various games over the years) I think this would be very useful to have, and can be done in a way that doesn't give folks in-game advantages etc.

At the very least have a website that we can go to to look up various stats like killboard stats, or even live node breakdown by progression and ownership.

I think these types of tools go a long way to help maintain engagement with the game even when players are not in-game (like say while at work or on their phone, can still have some visibility on what's going on in-game).

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to be compiling a list of caravan campers so people can go grief them back. Eastern Coast Server.

I might also compile an excel sheet that tells me what drops where as I play.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    if I was designing the APIs, locations would not be a part of the data set you would have access to. The only "location" data you would have access to is the world map with node identifiers and metadata about it (like what you already would see from the in-game world map)
  • Options
    I'll find a way, but I probably don't completely understand the topic. I'm just throwing out what I'm going to do on a similar topic. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    This might fall under third party addons.
    I know the info you want is related to other stuff, but I think IS wants you to find out information through in game.
    If you have this you will see information that you shouldn't/couldn't know.

For example locations of nodes, or what types of nodes are around you.
  • Options
    I made similiar signatures for PlanetSide 1
    Quovatis.png

when a node advances you could post to discord something like
    unknown.png

Albion online has the full kill/death details (inventory details on death) and all, but I don't think we need that level of detail. just the who killed who, and how many kills/deaths (to players) someone has.

Hell I would even be cool with there needing to be an auth mechanism where users need to authorize an app to use their data (we had a similar setup in EQ2/Starwars Galaxies if I recall correctly)
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    This might fall under third party addons.
    I know the info you want is related to other stuff, but I think IS wants you to find out information through in game.
    If you have this you will see information that you shouldn't/couldn't know.

For example locations of nodes, or what types of nodes are around you.

right because initially, it's a fog of war... in that case no world map/node info :).

My main thing is being able to create signatures of k:d, arena rank for folks doing arenas, etc. hell I would be ok with it if we simply had a first party website that had this info out of game.
  • Options
    There probably will be a way to do it with map making though. They'll prob find a way to distinguish by using the in game profession of scribes.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    HighPalpatineHighPalpatine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    +1 for server side API like EVE Online, so useful it makes me wanna cry
  • Options
    Out of game guild api/management for example would be pretty nice. Or even guild and/or player pvp stats, kills, who killed who etc (kinda like eve online and Albion online actually). Would be cool I think!
  • Options
    A kill-board tracker would be a nice feature for the AoC mobile app. Leaderboards are often a sense of pride, for PvP'ers.

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    They are not planning on giving any API.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    I think it makes sense to make public (or a subset of) whatever APIs they use internally for their website as far as in-game info available out of the game. Maybe not right at launch, but planned at least.
  • Options
    I think it makes more sense to not have APIs. It is a game, so why do people need to know every gritty detail just by writing an app or data mining?

Just play the game!
  • Options
    I think it makes more sense to not have APIs. It is a game, so why do people need to know every gritty detail just by writing an app or data mining?

Just play the game!

As a guild leader, it's actually very useful to have management tools external from the game. Not to mention I'm a software engineer my self, so I'm very used to (and enjoy) creating tools to help automate repetitive tasks, and visualize data in a more organized way.

Some examples would be like answering the question: "who in guild in the game matches to a user on our discord server with a given role, and who doesn't?" or economy related info for traders seeking to plan their trade routes.