Why will it be worth it for players to assault and bring a metropolis down?

SquirrelTeamSixSquirrelTeamSix Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Hey folks, I am a huge enthusiast of MMORPGs and Ashes in particular and I was curious what people's thoughts were on the topic of node sieging. I understand the concept and the mechanics pretty well I think and I wanted to discuss it with other people.

I am curious as to what the exact benefits to assaulting a node will be. It seems pretty detrimental to the region as a whole to try and destroy a city that players can use as a hub just to level another node nearby, so there must be a good and convincing reason to do so. But what is that reason?

It has been discussed that dungeons and quests will be tied to the nodes and their progression, which is awesome. My concern here is that if the devs are reliant on us taking each other's cities down in order to progress a new city for new quests and maybe a new dungeon, how rewarding will it be? How is gear going to differ dungeon to dungeon? Are certain dungeons going to provide better gear or is the gear going to be stat-scewed based on the dungeon it is (ie dungeon X gives more melee dps stats than mage stats). If not, why would we change our node? Just because? From what has been said in AMAs and interviews and such that node sieges are going to be time intensive and costly for the assaulters, so I am really just curious how they are going to make it worth doing.

Also, have they said how many node-locked dungeons can be on the map at one time, how many static curated dungeons? I am also concerned that there won't be enough variety of dungeon content in the game without nodes falling all the time.

Sorry got a bit long winded, but in essence, I want to discuss nodes and their impact on the content tied to them

Comments

• HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    because another community will always want what someone else has, and believe they can run it better. It's in our nature to take what others have.

And don't forget about all the loot that's in there.
  • SquirrelTeamSixSquirrelTeamSix Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sandman wrote: »
    because another community will always want what someone else has, and believe they can run it better. It's in our nature to take what others have.

And don't forget about all the loot that's in there.

Fair point, but have they discussed the loot? I haven't seen anything stating what rewards will be given
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There will be rewards given, and the longer a metropolis (or any node, I believe) stands, the greater those rewards will be.

We don't currently know what those rewards will consist of, or how they will be divided between the players taht successfully siege a metropolis, all we know is that there will be a reward.
  • SquirrelTeamSixSquirrelTeamSix Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    There will be rewards given, and the longer a metropolis (or any node, I believe) stands, the greater those rewards will be.

We don't currently know what those rewards will consist of, or how they will be divided between the players taht successfully siege a metropolis, all we know is that there will be a reward.

Thanks for the response. Do you know of anything regarding the dungeons tied to a node?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    noaani wrote: »

Thanks for the response. Do you know of anything regarding the dungeons tied to a node?

There isn't a whole lot of information on that right now.

I am would assume that there will be times when a node is sieged to alter the dungeons and other content that is available, but that is based on the idea that there will be different rewards to that content, not just different content.
  • HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also you can loot houses, apartments and freehold houses.
  • Besides what people already told about resources and loot, IS didn't really confirm what all the rewards will be AND if the attackers can establish themselves there, replacing the current owners; or the metropolis/city will be completely, or partially, destroyed and you have to build it again. In which, if you can do it, there will be long term rewards such as owning the city and taxing the residents of the same and so on.
  • ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Sandman wrote: »
    Also you can loot houses, apartments and freehold houses.

Apparentely freeholds also "decay" for a week or so before being removed as well, so new freeholds could be built by new people in the nodes area of influence after a siege. If i recall correctly they spoke about the mechanic during one of their live streams. Not sure if people will have the opportunity to repair and reclaim their freeholds after a node is sieged, or if they will need to start a new one. Your progress/layout will supposedly be saved in the form of a "blueprint" when it gets destroyed.
  • LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are some pretty massive benefits to sieging a node, however, those who could benefit the most from said siege are not actually allowed to siege their parent node, I am speaking about those nodes vassalized under the parent node whose progress is directly blocked by the expansion of a higher tier node.

Additionally, parent nodes are able to levy taxes and other systems onto other nodes in their zone of influence without the consent of child nodes.

Once a node has been declared the target of a siege, storage in that city is locked, and if the attackers win, they will be able to pillage the city and get those goods. ( I am not yet sure what type of items are going to be locked down like this, but probably all of them, or incomplete items like reagents.)

There is a lot of good reasons to siege a node, resources, rivalry, expansion, etc.
  • JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    It's all about content. Leaders need to keep their minions busy or they stop playing.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The primary advertised reason for sieging a node is to open content that is currently locked by the presence of the node. However, groups that are not in power may band together to take out a metropolis and seize control of an area.

Additionally, a percentage of the stored crafting materials contained in banks will be distributed among the attackers if successful.

FYI, once a node siege is declared, the banks will lock and crafting materials cannot be removed until after the siege. However, crafters will still be able to use those materials to craft while waiting for the siege by using a crafting table.