Give me the option to play with a believable Sword

The aesthetics of the swords is the only thing that bothers a bit. I don't like the oversized handles and complicated designs even on the lower qualtiy swords. Intrepid has their artstyle and won't change it because of me, which means I'll have to deal with these eyesores on other players. Fine.

But at least give me the option to change the look into something that could be wielded efficiently. They have even designed stuff that looks cool and believable, why not more of this?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/425688172752666624/738866417046388816/114ef4ba65.png

Please Intrepid, make more of these kinds of weapons that aren't just simple and practical because they are "eastern." Give me the chance to play a swordsman, not a guy flailing with a glorified paddle. I don't want to have to buy a Katana with real money in the cosmetic store because everything else doesn't look right.

Comments

• I wouldn't mind seeing some 'simple looks' in the cash shop, or obtainable somewhere in game. I'm pretty sure I wore the 'Rags of the Spoonlord' in Archeage for like two years.

ucB2jHj.png

• I mean, murderhobo is a fun option for sure! But simplicity doesn't have to mean *not badass* as is the case with the "Samurai Orcs". I'd like some variety, so that sword enthusiasts like me don't have to pick clumsy designs.
  • Steven gives his intent in this May 2019 Development Update video that he's with you on this design idea. You may have seen some items that were too flashy but his overall intent is to make things more realistic.
    Timestamp 54:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-swmpaW8Y
  • It's good to see that Steven has this design philopsophy and I agree with him 100%. But the images speak another language.

450px-Longsword1.png

This is what's used in most gameplay videos and looks really clumsy and overblown to me. It's even called a longsword, which in reality denotes a 2 handed sword, but this is singlehanded.

Also this one:
    450px-sword_and_shield.png

Maybe this isn't immersion breaking to steven, but to me it is. I'd love to see weapons or at least skins that allow me to wield something like this:
    db80a8w-3c1bf1c8-ccf7-498c-9dd9-0eaa6c7511de.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDhkYmZjNzAtYThlYi00MDI4LWI0ZDctMDk2NjgxMzU3ZmZlXC9kYjgwYTh3LTNjMWJmMWM4LWNjZjctNDk4Yy05ZGQ5LTBlYWE2Yzc1MTFkZS5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.5dYJ-i7yKn1YPARrJJPwOYFtclhbRi_KfGuHPBCZ5s0

(models taken from the ashes of creation wiki, Last picture from Super-Furret on Deviantart.)
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steven already said something about this in one of the earlier streams concerning the weapons and armor seen in apoc.
    Most of the shown armor and weapons are remnant assets from the apoc battle royale testing, that was done last year.
    They explained it by saying that the weapons and armor used there will be something that does no exist anymore except for being found in ruins of the old world.
    Most of the weapon skins we will be getting ingame will most likely be pretty basic until we get into epic territory.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I'd love to see weapons or at least skins that allow me to wield something like this:
    db80a8w-3c1bf1c8-ccf7-498c-9dd9-0eaa6c7511de.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDhkYmZjNzAtYThlYi00MDI4LWI0ZDctMDk2NjgxMzU3ZmZlXC9kYjgwYTh3LTNjMWJmMWM4LWNjZjctNDk4Yy05ZGQ5LTBlYWE2Yzc1MTFkZS5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.5dYJ-i7yKn1YPARrJJPwOYFtclhbRi_KfGuHPBCZ5s0

(models taken from the ashes of creation wiki, Last picture from Super-Furret on Deviantart.)

Those look great.
    Dark Knight
    ufuyomxeubws.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @MisterAssassin I love all the swords in the top row! (Especially the third from the right and the rapier in the middle)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • @Damokles I believe you that those are outdated assets, but I hope you can understand my worry that the final designs will be all to similar. I'm glad I'm not alone in liking these practical fantasy designs. I'd personally go for the top leftmost.
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Pretty sure you can apply the cheap ugly sword skin if that is really what you want
  • I tend to like the realistic looking and sized weapons. That being said, I would imagine that in a reality where you are frequently fighting massive bears, dragons, and magically enhanced creatures, weapons would naturally become larger and more robust to suit the purpose. Like I said I prefer realistic sized and styled weapons but I can accept a little size increase. Hopefully we never see giant great swords and massive hammers though.
  • JuvensJuvens Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm so happy they won't go for the unrealistic oversized waepons. Simple and practical are also keywords. I hate when games gives you weapons and armor that belongs more to an emperor on parade than a warrior/adventurer.
  • I'm totally with you on the over elaborate and blatantly impractical weapons thing. I remember seeing the pics of the first weapons appear, especially the bows and I was like........ummmmmm, really?

I will be able to live with it if that's the aesthetic because the longer I play, the less the visuals matter to me and it becomes all about the gameplay.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • I'm happy with them. I think WoW screwed up on this front by either making stuff too flashy or too plain. Those look like a good middle ground. Even if they look like something only a king would wear.

I'm sure there will be more plain options. The game is going to have transmog so the likelyhood of liking the looks of nothing in the game is nearly impossible.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, I hope that the good stuff isn't too flashy or that the transmog system is really good myself. Swords usually bump into an issue where artists want to do something special with the blades of weapons to draw attention to them, so the blade gets bigger. I'm hoping it was just an apocalypse thing with the swords.

They've had a lot of weapons in their costume concepts that I liked. They didn't pull too much attention away from everything else, but were cool to see characters posing with.

Here's some basic swords in 3D that I like the shape of so far:
    jon-arellano-sword.jpg
  • Hartwell wrote: »
    Here's some basic swords in 3D that I like the shape of so far:
    jon-arellano-sword.jpg

Those look amazing as well.
    Dark Knight
    ufuyomxeubws.gif
  • Yes, this looks really amazing. Hopefully this is what we have to expect <3
  • Did I miss how this is a medieval simulator and not a fantasy world? Impractical flair is irrelevant if your sword is magic. I think the world should support both looks. Not talking wow levels here but 'ceremonial' armor and weapons are valid if they are enchanted. Maybe having them be looks available to magic items only.

I prefer something in the middle, I don't want to look like an actual knight from the middle ages, but I also don't want to look like a wow clown.
  • Zenrage wrote: »
    Did I miss how this is a medieval simulator and not a fantasy world? Impractical flair is irrelevant if your sword is magic. I think the world should support both looks. Not talking wow levels here but 'ceremonial' armor and weapons are valid if they are enchanted. Maybe having them be looks available to magic items only.

I prefer something in the middle, I don't want to look like an actual knight from the middle ages, but I also don't want to look like a wow clown.

Soooo not this then?
    ffvii_bfs.png
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • DummoDummo Member
    edited August 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Zenrage wrote: »
    Did I miss how this is a medieval simulator and not a fantasy world? Impractical flair is irrelevant if your sword is magic. I think the world should support both looks. Not talking wow levels here but 'ceremonial' armor and weapons are valid if they are enchanted. Maybe having them be looks available to magic items only.

Soooo not this then?
    ffvii_bfs.png

I do be liking giant greatswords, looks badass.
    Dark Knight
    ufuyomxeubws.gif
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited August 2020
    I like normal swords and gigantic swords, and yes longswords are one-handed.
  • Let me stack only str and duel wield cloud busters
  • PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Zenrage wrote: »

Soooo not this then?
    ffvii_bfs.png

Can't say no to a buster sword, would accept it in any game
  • I am all for more believable weapons. I would love a morningstar kind of weapon.
    I do love a nice shiny sword but maybe this could be limited to an enchantment on the sword, maybe optional to be cosmetic only?

It would be cool if certain weapons "larger" weapons could only be equipped by certain classes or by players with X amount of strength. Such as Great Swords / Great Battle Axes / Great Maces by players with x amount of strength.
    On that topic, I am wondering if we could have dual-wielding warriors such as WoW has with Titan Grip which allows warriors with that talent to wield 2x 2h.
    Signature-member.gif
  • Personally, I dont care much for swords as that is standard MMO fantasy fare (i acknowledge that it is for food reason) and if you have seen one youve seen a million imo.

I would like some elaborate looking polearms, spears, and great axes with awesome skill animations to go along with them. since you dont see those as much.

I do hope they at least look into your request though as that means they are interested in providing a wide array of weapon styles.
  • I hope you're able to get skins for your swords that make them look really nice and you really enjoy, but I also hope I'm able to make my swords look like something unpractical and stunning.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶