Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Big guilds raiding servers

LeroherLeroher Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I guess a lot of you have seen Asmongolds vids about Ashes, saying he would come to the game with the viewers and be the Mayor of a sci node. That's a problem Steve already said it can't be helped (atm at least). But that's not my concern. My concern comes from the server capacity and extremely big guilds coming together. If (f.e.) Asmon's followers go to one server and let's say they are over 15k, how will they fit in the server, and worse, what are gonna do the few people on the server that are not part of the guild?
This is ofc the extreme case scenario, where a full server is occupied with one community and no one is gonna fight against the other. But this concern also applies to big guilds (not that big) that can outnumber other smaller ones making alliances. Because as I know, there will be two types of guilds, one with a few people but big buffs, and other that exchanges those buffs to make the guild bigger. What if hella people just make alliances and break the balance?
Am I making sense?

Thanks in advance.

Lero

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mega Guilds will always be an issue. If a Mega Guild of 15,000 goes on the same server the game would be boring for them. There won't be sieges, there won't be contestation, it would be like a PvE Server lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    This will happen. Thank goodness for multiple servers. If you're not happy with the situation on your current server move to one that fits your desired play style. The serves will eventually die due to people moving to other servers or not logging on because there is nothing to do.

Or the big guild and node leaders will create false content to keep the players active and involved. Like they do in Eve.
  • Options
    HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    if they in fact have servers guilds can sign up for early, I'm hoping they will make 1 alone for content creators. I will be avoiding a streamer server like the plague I want no part of the que's and nonsense that comes with it.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Sandman wrote: »
    if they in fact have servers guilds can sign up for early, I'm hoping they will make 1 alone for content creators. I will be avoiding a streamer server like the plague I want no part of the que's and nonsense that comes with it.

I agree. I will go no where near a server with a content creator on it or anyone live streaming. I have no aspirations to be twitch famous.
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    I suggest reading this post.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44956

The world will be dynamic. Yes, initially when a 15k guild joins the server, it will be boring. But that boredom will soon come to pass. Guilds that are that large, especially streamer guilds, will have a ton of drama going on. Drama is fun, it will create change.

Also, a server has 50k players. Yes, 15k is almost 30% of the population of a server, but remember, the remaining 35k can still oppose the other guild.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    I suggest reading this post.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44956

The world will be dynamic. Yes, initially when a 15k guild joins the server, it will be boring. But that boredom will soon come to pass. Guilds that are that large, especially streamer guilds, will have a ton of drama going on. Drama is fun, it will create change.

Also, a server has 50k players. Yes, 15k is almost 30% of the population of a server, but remember, the remaining 35k can still oppose the other guild.

True, I was wrong here, I thought that there were only 10k on the server, I guess it will be 50k with only 10k playing at the same time.

And yeah, I thought about the drama too, it will make things fun anyways, and also at least they would compete between them to see who has bigger "keyboard".
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The good news is most of the massive streamers are American. Pleased to be UK/EU.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    XenantayaXenantaya Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Does anyone know how many players Asmongold had in the various Olympus guilds after WoW Classic launch? Might be an indication of how many guild members he'll bring to AOC.

On server size, Steven talked about servers having 50,000 total players and 8,000 to 12,000 concurrent players. The 50k sounds like a cap; unclear whether the concurrent player number is a cap or just an estimate. I'd expect there to be far more players active at launch on each server.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    Mega Guilds will always be an issue. If a Mega Guild of 15,000 goes on the same server the game would be boring for them. There won't be sieges, there won't be contestation, it would be like a PvE Server lol.
    You say that like it’s a bad thing. Lots of people would like a pve server lol
  • Options
    while I do not mind streamer guilds I do think that X amount of slots should only be available for guild pre-registration. This to not just have 1 or 2 streamers filling 10-15k slots.

40-50% should be for pre-register guilds.
  • Options
    If Asmo joined a singel server with all his followers it would be pretty booring for them.
    In Ragnarok online the worst times were when your guild dominated the others. Fun comes mostly from even fights while stomping your enemy become stale really fast.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Xenotor wrote: »
    If Asmo joined a singel server with all his followers it would be pretty booring for them.
    In Ragnarok online the worst times were when your guild dominated the others. Fun comes mostly from even fights while stomping your enemy become stale really fast.

Which is why being the worst player from the get go and getting Corrupted as fast as possible is valuable.
  • Options
    I think he said something closer to 12 000 being a cap. We definitely won't know the caps outside of their testing though for sure. I am for server caps though, but a streamer owned server won't become a pve server like you think.

Especially Asmonbald. There aren't factions so anyone can do just about anything. I'd imagine that his own fans would make a Revolution of Asmonbald guild that is just as big as his own guild to oppose him.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    I guess I don't quite understand how or even why a "Mega-Guild" of 15k would come to be in AoC considering the guild cap is 300 and you can only have 3 other alliances. Even if all 4 were run by the same person that would be 1200 max. I guess you could continue recruiting and making new 'sub-guilds' and coordinate outside the game but at some point it just seems so unmanageable and, well, pointless from my point of view. If EVERYONE is in the same freakin' guild then that removes the antagonistic element and it just becomes a boring PvE server. Why would anyone want to do that when one of the focuses of the game IS PvP?

Plus there is also the consideration of guild skills. If you always go for max size, you will be missing out on the skills smaller guilds will be able to take advantage of. Yes I know that zerg > skill most of the time but again...boring.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    He's currently got about 14 sub guilds in classic WoW.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Xenotor wrote: »

He will most likely join a server with other streamers like shroud, summit, tim and mcconnell. Its going to be a lag fest.
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    I guess I don't quite understand how or even why a "Mega-Guild" of 15k would come to be in AoC considering the guild cap is 300 and you can only have 3 other alliances. Even if all 4 were run by the same person that would be 1200 max. I guess you could continue recruiting and making new 'sub-guilds' and coordinate outside the game but at some point it just seems so unmanageable and, well, pointless from my point of view. If EVERYONE is in the same freakin' guild then that removes the antagonistic element and it just becomes a boring PvE server. Why would anyone want to do that when one of the focuses of the game IS PvP?

Plus there is also the consideration of guild skills. If you always go for max size, you will be missing out on the skills smaller guilds will be able to take advantage of. Yes I know that zerg > skill most of the time but again...boring.

I didn't know there was a maximum of 3 alliances. In this case, I don't think it will be that much of a problem, and as some of the comments said, even some guys from Asmon's community will probably antagonize him to bring some fun to the server.
  • Options
    Don't forget you have to be a citizen of a node to partake in elections. This means that if all of the steamers followers don't signup for citizenship right away it will fill up before they can get onboard. This means they can't vote for science nodes, quest for religious, or train their gladiator (assuming intrepid goes with this plan) for military. They will still be able to funnel money for economic elections as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Leroher wrote: »
    I guess a lot of you have seen Asmongolds vids about Ashes, saying he would come to the game with the viewers and be the Mayor of a sci node. That's a problem Steve already said it can't be helped (atm at least). But that's not my concern. My concern comes from the server capacity and extremely big guilds coming together. If (f.e.) Asmon's followers go to one server and let's say they are over 15k, how will they fit in the server, and worse, what are gonna do the few people on the server that are not part of the guild?
    This is ofc the extreme case scenario, where a full server is occupied with one community and no one is gonna fight against the other. But this concern also applies to big guilds (not that big) that can outnumber other smaller ones making alliances. Because as I know, there will be two types of guilds, one with a few people but big buffs, and other that exchanges those buffs to make the guild bigger. What if hella people just make alliances and break the balance?
    Am I making sense?

Thanks in advance.

Lero

First of all, if he gets 15000 people to join into a server and play "let's go zerg around"....I would be happy for IS to accept at LEAST $150000 for their subscriptions assuming they only play that month and don't buy anything else.

Second, I don't think a zerg would do much other than lag everyone out and spam chat at this point. Guild size and alliance limitations will help against this kind of garbage.

Third, Some guilds (like mine) will do everything in our power to prevent zergs from being successful. If there is a guild of 100 taking over an area, we will be focused on taking down the 3 guild alliance of 900+. I prefer quality organization and meaningful memories from my MMO's and taking down the giant sounds like my kind of fun.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I see it as free bodies and xp. Time to hunt nooblings
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

I'll go purple to slay a bunch of zombies who follow streamers around.

Me when the server starts lagging - "Rally behind me and unsheath your blades!"
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »

it would be a node event "The coming of the stream" :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »

You may even convince me to go red for that...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    honestly this post brings me back to the days of Age of Conan (another AoC game hehehe) where big guilds dominated the land. The game (imo) promotes these mega guilds. While i'm not going to worry too much about the ingame life balance because those things tend to work themselves out, i'm more concerned for the cluster that will be discord. You will not be joining a guild you will be joining an army where a single voice or a group of a few will control your fate.

here is the interesting part. the disgruntled soldiers of big guilds will be free to create alts to grief their own guild. Oh the drama that will unfold!
  • Options
    Leroher wrote: »
    Am I making sense?

Thanks in advance.

Lero

Leave them to fuck around on their server. Don't merge and bank the cash they will pay each month?

New players can just dodge that very server.
  • Options

Unless someone staged a coup.... >:)
  • Options
    OnlyOne wrote: »

Unless someone staged a coup.... >:)

Viva la Revolution
    nJ0vUSm.gif