Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Perma Death for Kings and Queens...

Admired by many and hated by others, centers of attention, magnanimous and diligent leaders or cruel and tyrant dictators.

Great strategists who managed to open the doors of the great hall to occupy the desired throne and thus become the bearers of great power and great responsibility.

But power and great benefits require great sacrifice and the ability to balance on the edge of a sharp sword where death has no return ...

Mistakes, defeats, and falls on the way to the throne become heavier and heavier, and only those elect who make it to the top can experience in person the true terror of knowing that there is no longer room for error.

Conspiracies, betrayals, ambushes, whispers and shadows in every corner are the prelude to the imminent ...

They come for them ...
2fdR01O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    There are going to be systems to knock them straight out of power, so no but I do support a hard core option if people want it. I'm just not going to use it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    People would just send assassination teams after them day and night.
    Camping their castles, and rogues were said to get grappling hooks to scale walls.
    No fortress is invincible for a single determined person.
    Guards can be killed, walls scaled, wells poisoned and arrows fly high.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Seems a bit extreme to me. /shrug
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited August 2020
    If you mean that character is wiped from the game upon the death of a king or queen then, no. A big no.

I'm all for making the game demanding and promoting risk versus reward, but I lump permadeath in the category of a huge no-no.

Anything can happen while playing a game, from lag or a power outage, to bugs or, god forbid, a home emergency.

Unless people sign up for it and are OK with it, I guess. But I can't see that being a popular server, so what's the point?
  • Options
    If monarchs could be perma killed, they would never log on and just play on their phones or an alt.
  • Options
    In the face of a surprise attack within the walls of the big city a defensive buff could be activated, let's call it "Long live the King / Queen" with a short duration during which the game alerts the allies about the imminent danger of their monarch.

Enough time to demonstrate whether loyalties exist and the required union between them and their people.

This included many other alternatives and options that can be implemented both inside and outside the cities.

After all, it is to be expected that such a prominent and relevant figure will not be wandering alone through the dangerous forests and roads, much less within the walls of her own reign.

Apart from this, I found it interesting to see the comments and assess the mettle of future candidates.

How willing are they to sacrifice for their people?

Let's see how it evolves.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    If monarchs could be perma killed, they would never log on and just play on their phones or an alt.

In this case, a minimum connection time requirement should be implemented for the character during his reign.

After all, being King / Queen requires great responsibility and commitment, with glory and honor!
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah this just seems silly
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

A dead who fears death?
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    He has no pocket necromancer to help with that.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Maybe a mixed system.

The possibility of choosing to return from the shadows for less power on the throne or unleash the maximum potential as an elect achieving maximum personal benefit and for his people but in exchange for a certain death on the battlefield.

For those who do not feel comfortable they can always choose for a safer reign, for those who want to take the risk in search of the maximum benefit the option would be within reach.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Even in the case of a King or Queen who has chosen the hardest path, the developers could create a chain of missions to complete after their death by the players to bring it back to life and demonstrate their loyalty.

Of course, it should require a great deal of commitment and dedication, no simple missions to kill sheep and collect wool.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't their term limited to one month as is?
    Did I miss something?
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    Did I miss something?

In a month everything can happen.

And as I commented in the last contributions, the incorporation of exclusive benefits could be enough reason for some to want to try it.

Titles, mounts, monuments, bonuses and other types of things only accessible to the most committed and risky monarchs.

It can be a great spice to the PvP look and another addition or extra layer of difficulty / challenge for those who like this style of mechanics.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Elder Soul wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

A dead who fears death?

I fear the waiting time at the market
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    LuthienstormLuthienstorm Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perma death, no however. An absent ruler. I completely agree. Let it go to the steward or next in line who doesn't quite have all the power and capabilities of the actual ruler. The former queen/king/lord can then continue their play without the title and may attempt the next election. It would promote pvp and make the game more realistic, however even my suggestion might be too realistic for a game.
  • Options
    Did I miss something?

And as I commented in the last contributions, the incorporation of exclusive benefits could be enough reason for some to want to try it.

Titles, mounts, monuments, bonuses and other types of things only accessible to the most committed and risky monarchs.

It can be a great spice to the PvP look and another addition or extra layer of difficulty / challenge for those who like this style of mechanics.

Ok, but your subject line says perma-death.
    Traditionally that means that character is gone forever, i.e. can not be resurrected - Delete! Is that what you mean? If so, I can already see how this conversation ends.

But I feel like a month is no time at all.

Why force it to be shorter and force a disruption in the economy more frequently?
    Wouldn't forcing economy issues lessen everyone's enjoyment of the game?
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    Did I miss something?

Ok, but your subject line says perma-death.
    Traditionally that means that character is gone forever, i.e. can not be resurrected - Delete! Is that what you mean? If so, I can already see how this conversation ends.

But I feel like a month is no time at all.

Why force it to be shorter and force a disruption in the economy more frequently?
    Wouldn't forcing economy issues lessen everyone's enjoyment of the game?

Ideas, when shared, evolve.

At first I thought of it as permanent death, as it is known, goodbye character.

But then, and seeing that perhaps for some it is too much, I came up with the possibility of assuming this risk with the possibility of being returned by the allies who were reigned.

So the idea evolves from something very restrictive to an option to be taken voluntarily by those who want to take the risk in search of extra benefits and a place in history.

The idea of ​​topics in a forum is to propose them, share them and together evolve it into something better, whenever possible.

The reason for doing it, well, perhaps there are players who are looking for greater challenges and an additional option never hurts.

On the side of the economy and the period of duration, perhaps taking the risk has its economic benefits in the short term, which can be inherited to the next monarch.

In this way, in short terms it is built with a long-term and future perspective.

It is no longer about focusing on the reign of oneself, as something individual but as a process of collaboration between different members in search of perpetuating a legacy.

In this way the 30-day periods become a part of something much larger.

The monarch must no longer think in the short term and in his own interest, but how he can enhance his legacy to his successor.

It is no longer about being elected and enjoying the throne sporadically but about forging true alliances to guarantee protection and future success in the line of succession.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Well in my apparently unpopular opinion I find your suggestion incredibly intriguing. However, I will likely never have the time or influence to attain such a title so perhaps my opinion is moot.

Still, great suggestion. I would love to see some banter in support.
  • Options
    Of course, once the risk is assumed, of falling into an honorable battle or being killed from the shadows and not being recovered by his people through the mechanics imposed at the expected time, death becomes permanent and effective.

It would be a kind of permanent death sentence with a latent last resort life insurance. :#
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Warhog53 wrote: »
    Well in my apparently unpopular opinion I find your suggestion incredibly intriguing. However, I will likely never have the time or influence to attain such a title so perhaps my opinion is moot.

Still, great suggestion. I would love to see some banter in support.

In my case, I also do not have the time to assume a position of such demand, but I would gladly offer my services to deal the mortal blow to the enemy King or deliver my weapons in search of the recovery and redemption of my fallen leader.
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    Going a little deeper and looking for a less penalizing alternative, imagine the following.

The elected King / Queen decides to opt for an extreme reign and accepts the challenge.

Automatically her presence on the throne grants exclusive benefits to her and her people.

If he is assassinated during his term, the bonuses are removed and a debuff is applied on the progress of his reign, let's call it "Echoes of an empty throne".

At the same time those who are part of his death will win a buff, let's call it "No King / Queen rules forever."

At this point 2 options are presented for the weakened reign.

On the one hand, an organized group of loyal monarch followers can enter the depths of a specific dungeon to reach the final Boss and free the soul of their fallen leader. Doing so restores the benefits of the Kingdom and removes those of the enemy.

On the other hand, the King / Queen can choose to make a pact with death to return immediately to their throne but they must pay the cost of said transgression. Her Kingdom will earn an additional debuff, let's call it "The Pain of a Forgotten Monarch" for the rest of her term and her enemies will earn an additional buff, let's call it "The Truth Has Been Revealed."
    2fdR01O.jpg
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah this is a hard no from me. This just does not sound fun and too time consuming for this suggestion to make any sense. You don't want to play the role....but you are willing to go and kill the person who does? This is a ridiculous suggestion on your part.
  • Options
    Terrible idea
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Elder Soul why is it I find you at the topics that are ridiculous in premise and nature?

Thats like asking for every other player character killed by the king/queen to lose their account for dying.

Risks and rewards right? I'm starting to suspect @Elder Soul is an account for a person who's looking to stir up players in the pursuit of personal entertainment or trolling from another game.

On a actual serious note. No this suggestion is dumb.
  • Options
    SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    There are going to be systems to knock them straight out of power, so no but I do support a hard core option if people want it. I'm just not going to use it.

I would love a perma-death ironman mode for idiots such as myself.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • Options
    MalcMalc Member
    edited August 2020
    Those particular players would never get to enjoy the game, under constant harassment and ganking at all hours. It's hard enough work to actually become a King/Queen. You certainly should get rewarded for said work, not further punished.
    kNfIFH6.gif