Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Attribute points

13»

Comments

• Options
    I am also all for stat allocation, and I think @Vio explained very well where the beauty of stat allocation comes from.

For people who are against -- it would be interesting to hear which specific MMOs they played which had stat allocation and where they did not enjoy it, and why.

I do get a feeling that maybe the difference of opinions comes more from personal experiences -- older MMO players experienced old MMOs with stats, and newer players only experienced ones without, and people like what they are used to. However if I am wrong and there are specific grievances that people have with stat systems in games they otherwise enjoyed (rather than theoretical grievances they never actually experienced in a game, or grievances about a game they disliked overall) -- we could think together how these could be alleviated while still keeping this versatile tool of character customization available.

Unfortunately it seems that Ashes are already firmly on the way of not allowing stats distribution by a player, so these are likely to be idle musings.

Uniqueness of character builds in general doesn't seem to be the goal of Ashes (even skills and second archetype can be reset, yesterday's pure damage ArchWizard is tomorrow's buff-slave Acolyte), which is fair enough, but certainly robs some older MMORPG players of some enjoyments they came to associate with MMORPGs.

Cheers from a 70+ Luck Priest of Ragnarok Online.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Tyrantor wrote: »
    Has it been said anywhere if players will get control on how to allocate attribute points (Str, dex, int, etc)?

It seems like the skill trees are going to allow a lot of freedom with creative builds however if we're not able to also adjust our own attributes it seems like we're only getting half the ability to create characters.

I wish, but no. No dice there.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rinta wrote: »
    For people who are against -- it would be interesting to hear which specific MMOs they played which had stat allocation and where they did not enjoy it, and why.

I generally don't like stat systems because of the whole illusion of choice thing as well as they cage you into a playstyle.

In most of them, you are just dumping your stats into 1 maybe 2 stats with little too no thought put into it. I like the idea of growing my characters attributes, making them stronger or smarter but in most of the system i've played, i think it looks silly as these numbers get bigger and the discrepancies between my stats get larger.

I didn't play a lot of RO but i did take a second to watch a video on it and from what i saw, i liked at least how i perceived it working. The important thing to me isn't as much the attributes but how they effect your performance and how things start getting capped/diminishing returns. I think that is almost where the system needs to start, find interesting stats for attributes to impact. If my strength only effects my melee damage, then i'm bored.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Rinta wrote: »
    I am also all for stat allocation, and I think @Vio explained very well where the beauty of stat allocation comes from.

I do get a feeling that maybe the difference of opinions comes more from personal experiences -- older MMO players experienced old MMOs with stats, and newer players only experienced ones without, and people like what they are used to. However if I am wrong and there are specific grievances that people have with stat systems in games they otherwise enjoyed (rather than theoretical grievances they never actually experienced in a game, or grievances about a game they disliked overall) -- we could think together how these could be alleviated while still keeping this versatile tool of character customization available.

Unfortunately it seems that Ashes are already firmly on the way of not allowing stats distribution by a player, so these are likely to be idle musings.

Uniqueness of character builds in general doesn't seem to be the goal of Ashes (even skills and second archetype can be reset, yesterday's pure damage ArchWizard is tomorrow's buff-slave Acolyte), which is fair enough, but certainly robs some older MMORPG players of some enjoyments they came to associate with MMORPGs.

Cheers from a 70+ Luck Priest of Ragnarok Online.

Yea, Ragnarok Online did it so well. Luck Priests for Turn Undead. I was a ME Priest, so mostly Dex. I also had a full support priest. The build variety was actually incredible. It was such a shock to me, when I went from RO to WoW to see that when my Undead Mage levelled up it just gave me stats.

I've also never seen Elemental attacks/types/weaknesses etc done so well as they did in RO, it's too bad the later content was designed with having a buff and heal slave open on another account, and more often than not Endow slave too :3
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif