Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Trails behind caravans?

Are there any plans on making the caravans leave trails behind? And if not what do you guys think of that?

I feel like it would introduce a lot of immersion even if the trails don't last that long, same thing would go for stuff like the spiders feet, like the ones shown in the last stream, leaving little marks on the ground for a few seconds/minutes.

Of course thats not pre-alpha or even beta goal type stuff but I thought I throw this idea in the room since I didn't hear it anywhere so far and I think that would be pretty cool! :)

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It did look good in Conan Exiles but Conan Exiles had dynamic weather and better graphics.

Ashes is not at the release stage so such aspects wont be present until later in development. Ashes does have dynamic weather and seasons. It would be nice to see footprints in sand and snow like in Conan Exiles.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Well, rangers have tracking, and that feels like an immersion ability. So far Intrepid have aimed to make things super immersive, so I don't see why not.

We have footprints left in sand and snow in other games, so why not in Ashes.

The only thing we have to consider is that textures can cause lag with a lot of players. That's just a thought though. I'm no video game engineer.
  • Options
    nykznykz Member
    nidriks wrote: »
    Well, rangers have tracking, and that feels like an immersion ability. So far Intrepid have aimed to make things super immersive, so I don't see why not.

We have footprints left in sand and snow in other games, so why not in Ashes.

The only thing we have to consider is that textures can cause lag with a lot of players. That's just a thought though. I'm no video game engineer.

Can see you point there, could be a possible option to turn them off I guess.
  • Options
    nidriks wrote: »

Cool idea. But I would rather have a stable gaming experience than footprints, if I had to choose in certain situations.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Just a consideration: it would detract from the utility of certain class skills.
    (This is mentioned above.)

I feel the best compromise would be that the trail is left only as far as the caravan is still in render distance (i.e. in view). This would add the to depth you are looking for, while preserving the usefulness of other players' who can track for you/your party.
    "Don't be hasty."