Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Netcode (Animations)

EffluvikoffEffluvikoff Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
The 4k footage they released is great (and I think you've all done fantastic work so far) but the most jarring thing to me was the player / other player movement. There was a lot of rubberbanding, small jittery teleports and sliding. Yep the game is Alpha, that's understandable but I think it really needs to be tightened up a lot. I also want collision to be removed, I think it's far too restraining when it comes to other players movements.

I understand something like this would be worked upon constantly almost, and if there's a developer response, is there any plans to do an overhaul or something along those lines, and if not, is this because you feel like it's fine and that it's really just an issue of matching animations to it etc.

I'd just like to hear more on the subject, this is probably the most important thing to playing any video game whether it's an MMO or not. It's gotta have fluid movement.

Comments

• Options
    Still in invite only alpha, so I can almost guarantee that the rubberbanding and movement glitches will be patched up within the next 2-3 years. It's already been said that collision movement is based off inertia and momentum, so no one will be restricted.
  • Options
    Looking for more concrete information, sorry.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    My dude, the game is literally 2-3 years from release and isn't even in alpha yet, of course the animations are subpar.

Also, unless something goes horribly wrong and they find out that collision is really bad in-game, it's not going away.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    My dude, the game is literally 2-3 years from release and isn't even in alpha yet, of course the animations are subpar.

Also, unless something goes horribly wrong and they find out that collision is really bad in-game, it's not going away.

Mostly talking about Netcode. The only time animations would be relevant is if they're matched incorrectly. Netcode is typically done earlier in development. Collision hasn't helped any game. There's not a single one it has worked for. Just looking for concrete information though, sorry. If there's none then that's fine.
  • Options
    There's just no pleasing some people.