Mount Summoning

It looks like summoning your mount is going to be similar to how it's done in WoW. I don't know about anyone else but I don't like seeing mounts poof out of thin air, or seeing people riding through town on some giant worm. I prefer how it's done in BDO, by going to the stable and getting your horse.

unknown.png
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts#Summoning_mounts

Maybe if they add a more detailed animation, rather than just pop and suddenly you're on your mount, it will be a bit more realistic. Example being: You throw the item into the air, there's a flash and your mount lands on the ground, it walks up to you and you climb on.

Thoughts and opinions on mount summoning?

Comments

• I prefer it the way it is.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like how Darkfall online did it. You have the item. When you use it, the mount is summoned in front of you. You then have to mount it manually. Then when you are done, you dismount. Then summon it back into the item. If it dies or gets stolen in the process so be it. Don't ride what you can't afford.

I think we are just getting a more forgiving version of this where the mount will not have perma death or be able to be stolen. Which is a fair compromise between what I want and what the today's spoiled MMO players want.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • AeriAeri Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    I could be wrong, but from what I took away from a recent interview, while mounts will be summonable via an item; once they are summoned they persist in the world. They aren't going to be like mounts in WoW that just pop in and out of existence completely.

Pretty sure Steven also said that, while there won't be mounted combat, mounts can be killed once they are actively summoned.
  • Any idea when Steven said that? It seems to contradict the wiki.
  • AeriAeri Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    edited August 2020
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    Any idea when Steven said that? It seems to contradict the wiki.

Took a bit to find it, looks like it was during his interview with Asmongold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0LQSMT83L0&feature=youtu.be&t=1h05m41s

"Mounts can be separately targeted when you're on them. They can also follow you. So you can be dismounted and the can be summoned. And essentially they can be targeted and killed. If they're killed, there's a cooldown time before they can be re-ridden."

However, watching the video again, looks like I was wrong in that they would persist in the world once summoned. Seems that once he dismounts his horse, it stays there for a few seconds, then despawns. He does move his character a decent distance away from the horse before it despawns, though, so I don't know if it that plays into any sort of persistence.

It would be kind of nice to have the mounts more of a toggle-able persistent ability: Cast time to summon it, and it appears behind you and walks up ready to be mounted. When you dismount, it will follow you around, but stay persistently in the world. Recast the mount ability to have it stop following you and despawn, or if it gets a far enough distance away from you (i.e. gets caught on terrain while following) it will automatically despawn.
  • Thank you!

Hmm, interesting. Cooldown doesn't mean death though, which makes me wonder how the market is supposed to absorb all the extra mounts from husbandry artisans.

If mounts are such entities in the game though, that gives me hope for summoning to become a lot more interesting looking in the future than simple pop ins.
  • I assume it means that animal husbandry artisans can either give mounts extra stats, like running faster, or they can breed better mounts than what you can buy from the local stable. While you could buy that horse at the stable, who wouldn't want that toad looking creature with +5 running speed and 20% more health? That's how I assume it's going to go down.

I also have high hopes for summoning, I think it would be super cool if depending on the level of the summon you have smaller/larger magic circles and shorter/longer cast times in terms of how it looks to summon the creature, instead of it just popping in,
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    Thank you!

Hmm, interesting. Cooldown doesn't mean death though, which makes me wonder how the market is supposed to absorb all the extra mounts from husbandry artisans.

If mounts are such entities in the game though, that gives me hope for summoning to become a lot more interesting looking in the future than simple pop ins.

• Seems it should be easy to add a horse whistle sort of situation where you call your mount and it comes running from some distance away, far more immersive. It could still mechanically be an item in your inventory but now it doesn't seem ridiculous. Could be cool too, classes could have different summon animations, mage advantage to summon it more quickly the old goody teleport way.

Your basic horse is a whistle and it takes some time (if despawned) for it to catch up to you. mages can summon, some mounts are like burrowed for example and can arrive faster etc. Makes animal husbandry and class effects part of more than just stats.

• From what has been described it seems like a system somewhat similar to how mounts work in archeage is the intent.
  • rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Yea idk how you would make a stable to keep a dragon in... the stable system works in BDO because of the limited mount options.
  • I'm with the OP BUT, it's something I have gotten used to after playing MMOs like WoW and ESO. It's the way it is and while I don't necessarily like it, It's not going to keep me from playing the game.

It would be cool however if you had to go to a stable to deliver / pickup your mount.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Zenrage wrote: »
    Seems it should be easy to add a horse whistle sort of situation where you call your mount and it comes running from some distance away, far more immersive. It could still mechanically be an item in your inventory but now it doesn't seem ridiculous.

They could do it like the Witcher or Assassin’s Creed games where it works like that, or like Lord of the Rings Online where your mount does just “poof” out of nowhere but only after you whistle, then it appears and you climb onto it. Either way is more realistic but not a pain for players.

Hhak63P.png
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I 100% prefer the summoning of mounts. One of the reasons I could never get into BDO is I fucking HATED having to go to stables just to get mounts, as well as trying to whistle for my mount to come to me only to be told "it's too far away" even though it was like a 10 second run from me.

nI17Ea4.png
  • KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I think a good middle ground to this system would be players can summon and dismiss their mounts at will. Players can decide to keep them out for aesthetics, or maybe there is a reason to keep them out such as inventory bags on said mount.
    As for being able to target/kill a mount, or have yours targeted/killed, I think instead of having a cooldown you should have to go to a stable, be it on your own freehold, in your node, or at a local Tavern to "revive" it. To me, this adds the element of risk v.s. reward that Steven preaches for the game and something I can see happen.

This also begs the question of how does this interacts with the husbandry artisan? So far, the artisan classes remain relevant due to everything being degraded to the point of uselessness, forcing players to buy new armor and weapons. If this remains true with mounts, what happens to mounts? Will they be on a timer and when that timer expires you have to go buy a new one or will the mount remain yours unless killed X amount of times? If I had to pick something that I would prefer to see, it would be a timer, which means players who pick animal husbandry would want to master their craft to have the best looking mounts so their players return after those timers are up. I may be getting a little off-topic, but something that came to mind while typing this.
  • Sort of a minor note but in terms of requiring a stables to get on your mount... Royal mounts (the flying ones) require a royal stables to get on them, which should add an interesting obstacle to overcome during sieges.