Suggestions - increasing AoC player base post-launch

LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I would like to make 2 simple suggestions, as someone that really wants to see Ashes of Creation succeeding

1- I believe getting the game on Steam will be an excellent way of bringing a huge amount of players to the game - I have experienced myself talking with a few friends about Ashes, and one of the first questions that pops out is: "will it be on Steam?" - Or maybe (this one many people might disagree) having Ashes' alpha 2 as early access on Steam, since it will remain playable as alpha 2 to up until launch, this is something many successful games have done. And this might be a deciding factor on many players trying out the game and increasing its popularity - and that brings us to my second suggestion

2- A 3 or 7-day free limited trial - or a first-month refundable subscription. This is self-explanatory, people will want to try out the game, before committing to paying for a subscription.
img]
Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    AA:U is available on steam. Most players use Glyph and not steam. I don't think 35% of the earnings should go to steam. I would want my investments to assist IS to improve the game experience through DLC etc
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Console version would also be a huge population inclusion.

But I'm not sure this game could be implemented that way without signifigant money revenue and the game would have to prove to be successful on pc launch before a console version could be considered due to the obvious time sink and development needed to make the game compatible.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Neurath wrote: »
    AA:U is available on steam. Most players use Glyph and not steam. I don't think 35% of the earnings should go to steam. I would want my investments to assist IS to improve the game experience through DLC etc

well, AA:U isn't a good example of a successful game... there's many other examples where games increased over 50% of its player base after releasing on steam, If steam will help IS to gain more players, and make ou game as popular as ESO, BDO, and FF14 on steam then I dont mind the 35% :)
    img]
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes has AA elements so your assessment of AA doesn't bode well. AA had problems but it is bigger in the east than the west.

I would rather have steam than My.Com, but, ultimately it's Steven's decision. Apocalypse was hammered on Steam.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • MrScrewtapeMrScrewtape Member
    edited August 2020
    Free trails = even more bots (even without free trials, some of the more sophisticated operations simply use stolen credit cards, but a free trial just makes it easier)

Steam = less revenue for Intrepid. Early access on Steam also seems to indicate an end of a game. I've seen very few Early Access games on steam successfully go to Full Release. Steam is for when populations are declining and you want to grab the people who just troll steam store for the next 2-3 weeks of entertainment. BDO, ESO, FF14, others, all went to steam after initial release to try and support/grow player populations.

Console = a lot of extra work for cross platform compatibility. I'd also hate to see design limitations for an MMO because it wouldn't work with an Xbox controller.

The real way to maintain and grow population is an amazing product. If the game really is a amazing to play, then people will come. If the game is amazing, streamers/content creators/influencers will rave about it to their followers, friends will tell friends, and population will grow.
    edited August 2020
    screwtape wrote: »
    Free trails = even more bots (even without free trials, some of the more sophisticated operations simply use stolen credit cards, but a free trial just makes it easier)

Steam = less revenue for Intrepid. Early access on Steam also seems to indicate an end of a game. I've seen very few Early Access games on steam successfully go to Full Release. Steam is for when populations are declining and you want to grab the people who just troll steam store for the next 2-3 weeks of entertainment. BDO, ESO, FF14, others, all went to steam after initial release to try and support/grow player populations.

Console = a lot of extra work for cross platform compatibility. I'd also hate to see design limitations for an MMO because it wouldn't work with an Xbox controller.

The real way to maintain and grow population is an amazing product. If the game really is a amazing to play, then people will come. If the game is amazing, streamers/content creators/influencers will rave about it to their followers, friends will tell friends, and population will grow.

My idea was a Limited free Trial, no access to market, global chat, maybe level 25 cap, and other restrictions to prevent bots

Eso, BDO and FF14 have been maintaining a regular, active and dedicated player base for years, so I disagree
    img]
  • arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Steam doesnt benefit ashes at all. Here is why i think that´s the case.
    Steam is a good platform for smaller games to gain traction, the devs don´t need to setup the whole client and payment infrastructure connected with it.
    The biggest titles on steam are from valve themselves, no game outside of valve with huge ambitions will want to share this huge cut of revenue with them.
    There are many games such as swtor, bdo, bless online and so on that decided to go on steam for the reason that they realized that their product actually lacks the quality and appeal that people go out of their way to install a client. People see that game on steam and say: "Well fuck it, i might as well try it out and refund it if it sucks."
    I think none of those points are true for ashes.
    The population boost would be miniscule.
    Furthermore they would have problems with their european publisher.

To your second argument:
    I can definitely see the point of a trial version, but a game that has no box cost and is relying on a sub fee needs to make money at some point.
    Also the sub fee is a huge treshhold for botters and cheaters , without that those kind of people would make 10 accounts every week to funnel ressources to their main character and skew with the game as a result
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Console version would also be a huge population inclusion.

But I'm not sure this game could be implemented that way without signifigant money revenue and the game would have to prove to be successful on pc launch before a console version could be considered due to the obvious time sink and development needed to make the game compatible.

Explain to me how you use the 30 active skills we will have with a console controller. Also lots of pc players will avoid anything console as they don’t want the games dumbed down to have to work with just a controller
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some of these may happen a year or two down the line after launch but not before then. There's no need to launch on steam since steam takes a percentage of sales. Most AAA quslity mmos dont go to steam until their population starts to drop. Same can be said of free trials. There's no need for a free trial when every server is packed to the gills.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    The only mmo's that launch on steam from what I've seen are the P2W free to play Korean cash grab mmo's that have a total player base of around 300 within a month of launching
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2020
    Neurath wrote: »

IS is allowed to charge more for Steam subscriptions/hats than they would charge otherwise through their website, right? $15/month through AoC's website and $20 through Steam. That should somewhat ease your concerns, if I understood it correctly.

I like Steam and I think it's undeniable it would bring a lot of attention to the game, however I wonder if this wouldn't be a problem for EU players because of my.com and some idiotic laws in place over there.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • If you build it, they will come.
  • Steam would definitely benefit Ashes by giving exposure. It is a newer studio with 0 major releases under it's belt. Steam is a major PC gaming client if not THE PC gaming client. Anyone saying there is no benefit from Steam might be letting their feelings cloud their vision lol..

Will those benefits outweigh adverse effects is the million dollar question though. IS is a small
  • HiddenDaggerInnHiddenDaggerInn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Liniker wrote: »
    I would like to make 2 simple suggestions, as someone that really wants to see Ashes of Creation succeeding

1- I believe getting the game on Steam will be an excellent way of bringing a huge amount of players to the game - I have experienced myself talking with a few friends about Ashes, and one of the first questions that pops out is: "will it be on Steam?" - Or maybe (this one many people might disagree) having Ashes' alpha 2 as early access on Steam, since it will remain playable as alpha 2 to up until launch, this is something many successful games have done. And this might be a deciding factor on many players trying out the game and increasing its popularity - and that brings us to my second suggestion

2- A 3 or 7-day free limited trial - or a first-month refundable subscription. This is self-explanatory, people will want to try out the game, before committing to paying for a subscription.

I don't really care if it's on steam or not, and the other player is right I don't think they deserve 35% that's a large cut.

Also when you're only paying for the sub if you wait until release then I think most people can risk $15.00 to try it, if you're still not sure watch streams to see if it's for you.

They have sunk a lot of money into the game, and honestly after years of work they deserve at the very least a monthly sub.
    I appreciate all the comments, I do understand the whole situation with the 35% and of course I would prefer if all my money would go directly to Intrepid as well... however I still feel like the exposure gained through Steam would be beneficial, even though steam gets a part of it, if the game gets more popular that means more money for intrepid :)
    img]
  • AeriAeri Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Explain to me how you use the 30 active skills we will have with a console controller.

Not commenting on anything else, but you could look to the system Final Fantasy 14 uses. Most classes in that game have ~21-22 class skills, plus a few archetype skills, and there are tons of other things you can set to ability hotbars. Can't say if it would work perfectly for AoC, but 30 skills wouldn't be too much of a stretch for a controller.