Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Subscription

PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I might have missed this, but I'll ask anyway. I have some friends in other countries that are not as fortunate is the U.S. , my question is in time with there be a option like WoW where you can use in game gold to purchase some game time for those who might not be able to afford it?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sandman wrote: »
    I might have missed this, but I'll ask anyway. I have some friends in other countries that are not as fortunate is the U.S. , my question is in time with there be a option like WoW where you can use in game gold to purchase some game time for those who might not be able to afford it?

There are no plans for this, and it is unlikely that will change.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Nope. Using in game currency to buy sub time is a great way to introduce P2W to the game which Intrepid wants to avoid at all costs.

They could use the referral system in order to refer people to the game, then if they get 7 people to buy sub time, they can play the game for free as long as the 7 referred people buy sub time each month.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    Nope. Using in game currency to buy sub time is a great way to introduce P2W to the game which Intrepid wants to avoid at all costs.

They could use the referral system in order to refer people to the game, then if they get 7 people to buy sub time, they can play the game for free as long as the 7 referred people buy sub time each month.

That sounds like a interesting idea with the referal system, I understand the other concrn, just trying to think of something to let my less fortunate friends be able to play, other than having to pay for them myself.
  • Options

That sounds like a interesting idea with the referal system, I understand the other concrn, just trying to think of something to let my less fortunate friends be able to play, other than having to pay for them myself.

The game won't be out for another 2 to 3 years. If your friends are interested in playing, maybe they can start setting aside a little bit of money now so when the game releases, they will be able to try out the game for a few months.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    They are going to offer regional pricing on region locked servers.

But people always forget WoW doesn't sell game time for gild.

Wow allows one player to buy a wow token for cash and then sell it in game to another player for gold. That leads to straight P2W
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I feel your pain. I am from a third world country, and while I am fortunate enough to be able to afford my games and hardware many of my friends can't.

Our economy is about 4x weaker than the US economy so basically for people here to pay 15 USD a month it's the same as for Americans to pay a 60 USD monthly sub. It's a tough sale.

So believe me I know your struggle. My friends are like: "15 USD a month?! I can take my whole family to a fancy restaurant for that much!"

It will take a lot of convincing for them to come play with me but hear me out.

I don't know about your friends but mine like to party, and they like to drink, going to bars, playing pool, some times even betting.
    They can spend over 50 USD in a weekend out there. So my strategy is going to be paying for their first month, so they get to try the game and after that. I will convince them that it's more worth it for them to play this game than going out to drink. Or that it's more fun than playing billiard pool. Some will do the exchange, some won't but it's what I will try.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    Roko wrote: »

I feel your pain. I am from a third world country, and while I am fortunate enough to be able to afford my games and hardware many of my friends can't.

Our economy is about 4x weaker than the US economy so basically for people here to pay 15 USD a month it's the same as for Americans to pay a 60 USD monthly sub. It's a tough sale.

So believe me I know your struggle. My friends are like: "15 USD a month?! I can take my whole family to a fancy restaurant for that much!"

It will take a lot of convincing for them to come play with me but hear me out.

I don't know about your friends but mine like to party, and they like to drink, going to bars, playing pool, some times even betting.
    They can spend over 50 USD in a weekend out there. So my strategy is going to be paying for their first month, so they get to try the game and after that. I will convince them that it's more worth it for them to play this game than going out to drink. Or that it's more fun than playing billiard pool. Some will do the exchange, some won't but it's what I will try.

I think that's the easiest way of convincing them. Even in the US and central europe, people look at the monthly price tag and question whether its worth it or not. Then you tell them, that they spend more when they go to the movies (which is about 2-3 hours of entertainment) or substantially more on a night out (which is 4-8 hours of entertainment).

A game sub, for an outstanding game that will provide your with hours upon hours of entertainment certainly is not the one thing they should necessarily look at in regards to the price tag. On the opposite, a good mmorpg that captures you will most likely save you money, since you won't spend more on anything else while playing the game itself.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, I believe it will come down to they will have to play on their regional servers, it makes more sense. As much as I want them with me. it would be selfish of me to expect them to be able to pay U.S.Prices here. I just wanted to explore to see if there was any other avenue first. Thanks again.