Discussion: Limit the number of accounts to 1 per player and add an ID (Passport e.g.) to each

2»

Comments

• Samtrump wrote: »
    "Diablo is not a MMO, basically no comments made in general on these forums apply to it". Well, that statement is simply incorrect. The link between Diablo and an MMO is the economy, that is what those genres have in common. And the economy is what suffers the most, as you can read in my opening post. The more I read your comments the more I believe that it is simply an educational problem of some sort?
    Diablo doesn't have an economy? There is no trading (except for the short grace period on looting and only with players who were present during the item drop), and there is no auction house.

Diablo does not fit the MMORPG genre in a traditional sense. Sure you can argue that because it's an always online game, and therefore has massive online community, but that is not all it takes to define a traditional MMORPG.

an online role-playing video game in which a very large number of people participate simultaneously.

Perhaps even the shortest, most vague definition of an MMORPG even has a key definition that does not fit within the scope of Diablo: a very large number of people participating simultaneously. Unless your idea of very large is 4 people (8 if you're referring to Diablo II). Diablo 4 looks to be the closest resemblance of an MMORPG in the franchise yet, with seamless player transitions at certain areas.

And please get off your high horse. You're not better than anyone here nor are you more informed.

This is the sadest conversation I have ever had, noone reads the whole thing, random stuff thrown out of peoples anus, its just fkn sad. So please please please fkn read and try to understand what I'm saying before you answer.

Diablo3 had an economy, and botting ruined the economy completely. I you are unaware of the history of D3 your lack of knowledge shall be forgiven. It does not matter where people bot, as long as there is an economy it inflates the acquisition rate of items.

If you multibox and multiply the ammount of goods you get it is not as harmfull as botting is, not even close, but it does have a harmfull effect on the economy, and I do not want that.

Just having several accounts is not as bad as multiboxing, but it it makes it possible to go around the hurdle of not being able to store unprocessed goods (in this particular game!!!). From my understanding (I read it in another topic) you won't be able to store unprocessed goods, and for that, you simply have several accounts waiting at the crafting station or whatever to bring that crafter the required incredients.

And again, I did multibox every single game I have played, and that to an extreme extend. I will be the first to have 10 accounts if that gives me any advantage at all. I just know what it does to the game, its devastating, and the only reason I see for you complaining about people even bringing up the topic is that you want to abuse it.

For the 10000 players cap, somebody linked an explanation on how the cap works, and it is indeed not as bad as I thought that it would be. There can be 50000 accounts registered at a time, what makes the problem of deminishing population due to multiaccounting les urgent. It is still a problem, but not as big as I thought it would be.

I sincerely do hope that my effort to explain my standpoint to you has any effect at all, I am really trying my best.

To the ID topic: I repeat myself here as well, I totally get that people do not feel comfortable sending their ID to the developer, I really do. In my case, I gamble online, I play poker, I get my documents from the government via email, meaning I am not scared at all and I would willingly give my ID if there is any chance at all that the game benefits from it.

What I want is that this game is as awesome as possible, and that the vision that the developer has comes true. People here act as if I was the one suggesting that you should only have one mastery tree maxed out to keep the rare goods valuable, THAT IS NOT THE CASE, IT IS THE VISION OF THE DEVELOPER, NOT MINE!!!

So limiting alts in that way (from a progression standpoint) would be a good solution to bring the developers vision to life.

• screwtape wrote: »
    Limiting 1 account per person is a bad idea. Not only would it be horribly complicated to implement, there would still be ways to get around it. Real IDs can get faked, and actually in the US, might be illegal to try and implement.

Also, it would setup Intrepid Studio for bankruptcy. If their databases were ever hacked, the financial/legal impact would shut down the game for sure. I work in cybersecurity, and if any reasonably skilled hacker wanted to get in, they eventually would. A large majority of attacks are shotgun approach style hacks, and are prevented with common measures. But if someone targeted Intrepid specifically, it would just be a matter of time, no system is 100% secure, especially one where humans check their emails ;).

Also, if someone wants to pay for 3-10 accounts, but can only play them 1 at a time, that is 100% fine in my book. Personally I'll probably be buying ~3 accounts so that my wife and kids can all play with me at the same time. Does that give me an advantage because I can influence my kids with more computer time if they farm materials for me? Should I be banned too?

Next thing you know people are going to start asking that they limit everyone to only be able to play 3 hours a day, otherwise its not fair for everyone else that can't play 9+ hours a day. It's Pay to Win! Because I can afford in real life to spend that much time on a video game and stuff afford to pay for everything, while they have to work longer hours to support their gaming!

People need to relax and really think about what is realistic and remember nothing will be perfect. There will always be those that will invest more time, money, brain power, etc... into the game and they WILL have an advantage over those that do not.

I pay for faster internet = I have less lag and do better in PvP "PAY TO WIN!"
    I pay for a better computer = Game runs better and I get better fps and less lag symptoms "PAY TO WIN!"
    I pay for 3 accounts for my family and influence them to prop my main up (guild leaders do this to) = I have 2-3x the amount of materials/gold/xp because I have people DEDICATED to supporting my main "PAY TO WIN!"
    I pay my family to play my character for me while I work (or give them less chores, I love having kids) = My character gets more play time than the average person "PAY TO WIN!"

Get the picture? Just because someone has a different life situation, more friends, more family, more time, doesn't mean it's "PAY TO WIN!". Pay to win is when I pay Intrepid more money and they instantly give my character Max stats / max items / advantage that can not be achieved any other way than by paying them. The fact they are also including convenience items and not even items you can achieve in-game, is way more than 99% of the games out there.

Be happy with what they have done/said so far, and stop trying to limit the entire rest of the world down to mimic what you are able to do.

I am pretty sure that you did not read my post.

I multibox in every game that I can get an advantage in. And I do not only have 2 accounts, I have a lot more. And the ID thing would not affect you with your family members. It would have to be checked legaly if that is even possible in other countries, as you mentioned. I am no expert in that field, nor do I know the law in other countries. It was a suggestion, the best that I could think of, to protect the economy of this game. And I play a lot, you make a lot assumptions that are completely out of the air, that does not help.

And the argument that you can get fake IDs is true. You can, but you cannot get 10 fake IDs, or in the case of some extreme botting guys 100 fake IDs, that is a lot harder to do than installing a virtual machine and replicate a computer system, then use a vpn in that virtual machine and run as many accounts as you want on one pc. But again, all you had to do before you type your stuff is to read and try to understand, but you obviously got no interest to do that...

I still gonna try to explain my standpoint to the few ones that put in the effort to read my wall of text...

I know its impossible to get people that reply in that manner to be reasonable, or open minded, or at least read what I have to say, what makes it even more frustrating.

• Samtrump wrote: »
    screwtape wrote: »
    Limiting 1 account per person is a bad idea. Not only would it be horribly complicated to implement, there would still be ways to get around it. Real IDs can get faked, and actually in the US, might be illegal to try and implement.

Also, it would setup Intrepid Studio for bankruptcy. If their databases were ever hacked, the financial/legal impact would shut down the game for sure. I work in cybersecurity, and if any reasonably skilled hacker wanted to get in, they eventually would. A large majority of attacks are shotgun approach style hacks, and are prevented with common measures. But if someone targeted Intrepid specifically, it would just be a matter of time, no system is 100% secure, especially one where humans check their emails ;).

Also, if someone wants to pay for 3-10 accounts, but can only play them 1 at a time, that is 100% fine in my book. Personally I'll probably be buying ~3 accounts so that my wife and kids can all play with me at the same time. Does that give me an advantage because I can influence my kids with more computer time if they farm materials for me? Should I be banned too?

Next thing you know people are going to start asking that they limit everyone to only be able to play 3 hours a day, otherwise its not fair for everyone else that can't play 9+ hours a day. It's Pay to Win! Because I can afford in real life to spend that much time on a video game and stuff afford to pay for everything, while they have to work longer hours to support their gaming!

People need to relax and really think about what is realistic and remember nothing will be perfect. There will always be those that will invest more time, money, brain power, etc... into the game and they WILL have an advantage over those that do not.

I pay for faster internet = I have less lag and do better in PvP "PAY TO WIN!"
    I pay for a better computer = Game runs better and I get better fps and less lag symptoms "PAY TO WIN!"
    I pay for 3 accounts for my family and influence them to prop my main up (guild leaders do this to) = I have 2-3x the amount of materials/gold/xp because I have people DEDICATED to supporting my main "PAY TO WIN!"
    I pay my family to play my character for me while I work (or give them less chores, I love having kids) = My character gets more play time than the average person "PAY TO WIN!"

Get the picture? Just because someone has a different life situation, more friends, more family, more time, doesn't mean it's "PAY TO WIN!". Pay to win is when I pay Intrepid more money and they instantly give my character Max stats / max items / advantage that can not be achieved any other way than by paying them. The fact they are also including convenience items and not even items you can achieve in-game, is way more than 99% of the games out there.

Be happy with what they have done/said so far, and stop trying to limit the entire rest of the world down to mimic what you are able to do.

I am pretty sure that you did not read my post.

I multibox in every game that I can get an advantage in. And I do not only have 2 accounts, I have a lot more. And the ID thing would not affect you with your family members. It would have to be checked legaly if that is even possible in other countries, as you mentioned. I am no expert in that field, nor do I know the law in other countries. It was a suggestion, the best that I could think of, to protect the economy of this game. And I play a lot, you make a lot assumptions that are completely out of the air, that does not help.

And the argument that you can get fake IDs is true. You can, but you cannot get 10 fake IDs, or in the case of some extreme botting guys 100 fake IDs, that is a lot harder to do than installing a virtual machine and replicate a computer system, then use a vpn in that virtual machine and run as many accounts as you want on one pc. But again, all you had to do before you type your stuff is to read and try to understand, but you obviously got no interest to do that...

I still gonna try to explain my standpoint to the few ones that put in the effort to read my wall of text...

I know its impossible to get people that reply in that manner to be reasonable, or open minded, or at least read what I have to say, what makes it even more frustrating.

I read your wall of text, and you evidently didn't read mine. The moment a game starts storing things like Passport IDs, Driver license numbers, etc... is the moment they have signed their bankruptcy and criminal charges guarantee papers. Also, take 10 minutes to google how hard it is for even state governments to force people to provide identification papers to vote, a video game isn't going to get away with it. Also, like I said in my last post, the moment they store that info, the moment they are a bigger target for hackers. As soon as they are hacked is the moment the game dies.

1 account per person will never work in a western MMO. They are better off spending their development efforts designing ways in which the game doesn't reward a single person from having multiple accounts. There is already a mega thread about this topic and multiboxing. You can have 10 accounts, but you are banned from playing them at the exact same time (no 3rd party software). If someone wants to split 10 hours of play across 10 different accounts, one at a time, good for them. Doesn't hurt anyone else.
  • SamtrumpSamtrump Member
    edited August 2020
    Drek wrote: »
    As others mentioned already giving away your real world ID info isn't only really complicated with all the different laws they'd need to take into account but also it wouldn't be THAT safe.

With that said:

1) Not an issue, yes of course EVENTUALLY people will invest their time in alts to unlock more profession masteries, there's nothing you can do to prevent it nor any valid reason you'd want to prevent players from achieving it in a legit way. If someone wants to level one alt for each profession mastery so be it.

Limiting one maxed out profession per account would be the WORST decision since it EXACTLY gives EVERYONE a reason to get multiple account / multibox.

2) Nonsensical, also 10k ONLINE player limit is bigger then you think

3) Of course everyone wants a fair environment but requiring real life ID isn't the solution, and alternatives i won't go into as it would be offtopic.

I do understand your concern about the real ID linking to accounts, 100%. It would have to be legaly checked if it is possible and if it is a real option or not. It is clearly the best way to prevent people from building up fake population on the server. Is it a real option? That is not up for me to decide, it is nothing more but a suggestion, inspired by the Koreans. That it does harm the game to an unknown extend (depending on the aditional accounts per player on average, as I tried to explain in my opening post) is out of the question.

And again, limiting every player to one maxed out profession is nothing that I have come up with to bring it to the people of this forum. It is the vision of the developer, as I understand it. Making sure that the rarest of goods stay unachievable for the majority players, meaning very valuable, is what the developer had in mind. In his FAQ he made that clear. If he meant that you might have 2 maxed out professions in the end, I cannot say, he was not specific enough. Anyways I love the idea, and this is the first game where I would love not to multibox.

I only typed in the fairgame argument because I thought that people would be able to understand that better than the economy argument. For me the most important thing is that there is a well working economy in the game, for years, as I am going to nolife it. That means that the acquisition rate of items has to not be multiplied by a huge ammount and that there have to be enough real players to make the economy work.

I hope that clarifies it for you.