Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Poll: Gauging Interest in Requested Special Server Types

daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
This poll is to get an idea of what share of the forum population supports special server types and what share are against them. You are able to select multiple options. Please feel free to reply here with your thoughts.

https://www.strawpoll.me/20737878

I purposely did not describe any of the server types in detail on the poll because people have different ideas of what they could be. I'll detail what I believe these server types mean below:

- Corruption-Lite: Corruption becomes a gameplay mechanic instead of a punishment mechanic.
- Casual Only: Weekly playtime caps.
- Roleplay Only: A server with an RP tag on it.

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    While I applaud you for trying to do this, you have to realize, that these changes cannot be made to Ashes of Creation.

All of the systems are integrated into other systems. You cannot simply pluck out a system like the corruption system, as that then leads to the bounty hunter system being rendered useless, which means that horizontal progression path is closed, and all of the augments/enchants/gear tweaks that go along with the Bounty Hunting system are removed.

The cascade of this is that that military nodes lose one of their advantages and now become unbalanced as they are weaker in bonuses and buffs than the other three. This then causes changes to how the world will develop as people will less favor military nodes and more favor the other three.

You also have to realize, that these types of servers can't just be done. No open world PvP would remove the Caravan system, and that would then remove two additional horizontal progressions.

I don't want people to get their hopes up, because you aren't getting any of these things.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    @Jahlon These are the kinds of discussions I'd like to see. I agree that most of these would be unrealistic to apply. This post isn't a plea to add these servers to the game, but to foster discussion as to why people want them, why they support one over the other, why they can or cannot be implemented, if they're worth the time and effort, and the real risk of fracturing the community. It's also to provide a visual indicator of how many people in the community actually want these servers vs ones that don't.

• Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    As Jahlon said, the mechanics of Ashes need PvP, PvE and corruption to function. Without any part of the puzzle the game just won't work as intended.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nidriks wrote: »
    As Jahlon said, the mechanics of Ashes need PvP, PvE and corruption to function. Without any part of the puzzle the game just won't work as intended.

Agreed. To have the rest of the systems function while removing other core functions would require a lot of rework, testing, etc., which can drastically change the way the game is played (or completely ruin it).

RP servers would be the only one in my eyes that wouldn't suffer from the mentioned technical problems, but would have different challenges.
  • Options
    I'm not sure on the specifics, but as Paradox said, I don't think they can take out entire systems out of an server. So the corruption option is most likely redundant.

For the Casual and PvE, personally I don't see the need for these. The server pop is immense and I wouldn't be surprised if certain regions will automatically favor towards certain playstyles. For example the North has heavy world PvP and down south somewhere the "casuals" can thrive with little interference.

The RP server, I understand and wouldn't mind seeing that option. My only concern is that those servers will have a way lower pop compared to the normal servers.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How does a casual or an rp server work? What's stopping somebody that is neither from joining that server and dominating?
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    How does a casual or an rp server work? What's stopping somebody that is neither from joining that server and dominating?

The Casual one would have a monthly time cap each account is allowed to play (15 hours for example)
    (if people wanted to, they'd simply use 2 accounts to play 2*15 hours each)

The RP one would not change the rules at all. The RP Tag is mostly used to herd RPers into the same server based on their common interest to RP.
  • Options
    UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020
    I've said before that playing as your character is an RP in itself. But after seeing the IRL related toxicity in Albion Online, I take it back.

RP server would be nice for sure to keep unrelated IRL conversations and toxicity away as much as possible.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    You won't want to have a server designated as RP and here is why.

If you put all the sheep in one place, its ringing the dinner bell for the wolves.

If Intrepid designates a RP server than RPers will assume there are some protections for them. The problem is, that there aren't going to be any protections for them.

While there are some people who RP and excel in PvP, let's be honest and realistic here; the average RPer isn't a paragon of RP efficiency.

What you would have is a group that goes to the RP designated server just to laugh at ganking all the RPers having their tea parties.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Even without Jahlons very solid argument, i would say no for the simple reason that this would split the playerbase.

No matter how large a player base is, splitting it into something you cant merge at a later date is pure madness.

53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »
    let's be honest and realistic here; the average RPer isn't a paragon of RP efficiency.
    What you would have is a group that goes to the RP designated server just to laugh at ganking all the RPers having their tea parties.
    Let's be honest and realistic here, who would waste their time on a lower population server full of weirdos just to bully them? They won't fit in. They'll feel like playing with NPCs walking slowly and emoting to each other.

As long as IRL conversations get ignored there(I'd assume), anything that happens in RP server is RP.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

While there are some people who RP and excel in PvP, let's be honest and realistic here; the average RPer isn't a paragon of RP efficiency.

That's a little naive. There are MMORPGS that have RP PvP that do well. Your scenario reminds me of that scene from "The Other Guys" where Mark Wahlberg's character learns ballet just so he can mock the sport. Its silly and a waste of time. It requires a group to dedicate their time to level on an RP server just so they can gank, by which the corruption system will kick in anyway.

I don't doubt there are people like this, but the corruption system should keep these activities to a minimum

People seem to conflate RPers with Non-PvPers as well, which is overall incorrect.
  • Options
    This poll so far warms my heart.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    If Intrepid designates a RP server than RPers will assume there are some protections for them. The problem is, that there aren't going to be any protections for them.

Why would RPers want PvP-protection?
    They'll want their Roleplaying protected. This is maybe the only counter argument, as you need pretty active GM's and a wide set of rules that apply only to RP-Servers.
    And assuming, that Rpers are incapable of PvP is a pretty short witted statement. As stated by others there are several games which have lively RP-PvP Servers.

RPers first of all want to appreciate the world and immerse in it. As PvP is a "major" foundation they'll be up for it.

I love Servers where I will never see "ShadowASSaSSin69"

• Options
    Not even surprised None winning by a landslide. Aside from those options being absolutely terrible. the game is designed around some of them existing.