Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Inquiry of Skill and a Suggestion: Player World Bosses

I’ve only been recently been introduced to this game but have, now, complete buy-in. To this point I’ve watched most if not all of the important content. It has left me with only a couple of questions.

I’m extremely curious what part skill will play a factor in the combat system. With skill mashers like MMOs you see metas surface really quickly. Certainly with so many variations of classes it will take longer for players to find what works best for each class. It will eventually come, however.

With the right development and involvement of skill as a factor you can create wonderful experiences. It is not a common theme in MMORPGs for it to be implemented. In my imagination you would have to paint a scene such as dark souls (obv a non mmo) where you could complete a difficult game, with little to nothing, if you have the skill to do so (see speed runs). I cannot provide a perfect example of how this would be well implemented. But i can provide a sense of what could be avoided.

A lot of people love to play for the sake of role playing to an extent. If i want to play a mage for example i want to feel powerful, as a mage would. I would want my skills to feel impactful. I can remember a time in diablo 3 where I really wanted to play a mage a particular way, because the fantasy of it seemed appealing. However, based on the Meta, there was a particular set of armor i had to wear and mash a particular set of skills in order. While fun for a bit to absolutely demolish things. It eventually got boring.

So the real question ends up being: How could skill be introduced as a factor which would trump optimized Metas.

Suggestion: Implementing player Bosses. Such as World villains and World heroes. Imagine having to build up an amount of negative world reputation. Joining a Public faction where you could enlist as a minion. The leader of it all receiving buffs which would make them the equivalent of raid boss or otherwise. (Implement this in castle sieges?). You could equally do the same in regards to heroes, who they themselves could fight the evil world boss. This giant and massive battle could involve massive amounts of combat on both sides. Maybe lasting as a world boss for X time will produce something rare. Defeating such a boss provides something semi rare. This could drive unique and unpredictable content based on each players class acting as the world boss. Imagine the fun of that person being a summoner with minions the size of a building. Or an archer where each arrow has AOE.

Comments

• Options
    No. You're encouraging negative behavior, whilst rewarding it at the same time.
  • Options
    I don’t believe that would be negative behavior. Accumulating corruption is just a set of behavior which has consequences. It is a risk vs reward system, for example. Only in this case there’s more risk than there is reward.