Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

DPS Yards

IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hello everyone.

Couldnt be asked to read through all the comments on the DPS meter threads, but seeing there will be no DPS meters how about DPS yards? Its nice to track DPS from a personal or group standpoint, somehow.

Maybe having DPS yards in guild halls so guildies could work out DPS together more effectively as a group and individual tracking?
Izil.png

Comments

• What's a dps yard supposed to do? I never heard of that.
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    What's a dps yard supposed to do? I never heard of that.

Testing DPS on dolls basicly with diffrent armors, diffrent classes etc
    Izil.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    What's a dps yard supposed to do? I never heard of that.

Sounds to me like a non-decimal meter.
  • Izil wrote: »

So, target dummies? But several of them?
    edited August 2020
    Izil wrote: »

So, target dummies? But several of them?

Yep with diff armor tiers and classes and all
    Izil.png
  • I get why they wouldn't want dps meters, but I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing my performance in combat. Not just fighting and just guessing that i'm doing more damage. I like to see the numbers and experiment with stats, gear, and rotations to eek out abit more dps or hps. However I also get how this can create some elitism and gate-keeping with high level content :/ I'm down with whatever the devs choose but training dummies sound like a middle ground that i'd personally be happy with.
  • mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    starting to sound like dps meter talk

giphy.gif
    E6qgOoi.png
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    mrwaffles wrote: »
    starting to sound like dps meter talk

giphy.gif

Basically.

From Illegal Alien to Illegal immigrants to immigrants to undocumented worker... same shit, different word.

See George Carlin - Soft Language.

{UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Several people, including me, have suggested something similar. But despite me wanting something like this in the game, and wanting to achieve my class' full potential, having training dummies will only accelerate meta gaming, just like dps meters would. Meta gaming has been ruining games for a while, so it might be better to just avoid this idea entirely.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Maybe you could have training dummies in military nodes or guild halls
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Several people, including me, have suggested something similar. But despite me wanting something like this in the game, and wanting to achieve my class' full potential, having training dummies will only accelerate meta gaming, just like dps meters would. Meta gaming has been ruining games for a while, so it might be better to just avoid this idea entirely.

All games will have meta's though, whether you have dps meters and dummies or nothing at all.

In fact, I've seen many cases where a "meta" hasn't been set yet (for example a new expansion), but players are already set on what is meta and what is not, and exclude players who don't fit that narrative. Only thing is, in many of those cases, they are wrong, they just look at some damage numbers for abilities and assume X class is OP and Y class is horrible, when that might be very wrong.

So in those cases, dps meters and players who does actual testing on it, eventually provide the "real meta", but what difference does it make if people just make up their own meta anyways and exclude people for it.

I very much doubt there will ever be a game where everyone will just accept all classes etc. as equals whether they have any facts to back it up or not.
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Atiqa wrote: »
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Several people, including me, have suggested something similar. But despite me wanting something like this in the game, and wanting to achieve my class' full potential, having training dummies will only accelerate meta gaming, just like dps meters would. Meta gaming has been ruining games for a while, so it might be better to just avoid this idea entirely.

All games will have meta's though, whether you have dps meters and dummies or nothing at all.

In fact, I've seen many cases where a "meta" hasn't been set yet (for example a new expansion), but players are already set on what is meta and what is not, and exclude players who don't fit that narrative. Only thing is, in many of those cases, they are wrong, they just look at some damage numbers for abilities and assume X class is OP and Y class is horrible, when that might be very wrong.

So in those cases, dps meters and players who does actual testing on it, eventually provide the "real meta", but what difference does it make if people just make up their own meta anyways and exclude people for it.

I very much doubt there will ever be a game where everyone will just accept all classes etc. as equals whether they have any facts to back it up or not.

It delays it. Eventually even AoC will have a meta. But delaying it will go a long way and give Intrepid time to at least somewhat balance most of the classes. If you give people a definitive measure, then it accelerates meta gaming by a huge margin.

Yes somewhat agree with this, personally i would love it, but as you say its a way to figure out metas much faster which is not always healthy for the game
    Izil.png
  • If anything, training dummies should just be a target to test out your gear. No analysis tools, no breakdowns, just your animations and hit confirmations.
    Atiqa wrote: »

Difference is - w/o facts the meta is constantly changing and wont hold long. THAT IS GOOD. Yes metas will exsist and hopefully only for a short period of time.
    It's went meta becomes concrete and we are stuck with it for months until Dev does an update to break it which can be the next expansion, 3-6 months to 1 year timeframe.

I am all for the cookie cutter of the week then for the next 6 months. Make your claim, make your meta popular until someone can prove your meta sucks and is weak/wrong whatever.... metas cant be established with WHAT IF. We need concrete data - DPS meter/yard/chart gives concrete data. Concrete data is bad.
  • mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020

"Lets deny players information so we can fail for a longer period of time".

This community is something else.

At first i read your comment and was like "Man this dude got real out of no where" then i looked at your comment history and realized nope this guy just REEEEALY likes dps meters lol.

If the majority of the community doesn't want it, nor does the creators, and you are in the minority maybe YOU are "something else". Just because us "trash tier players" want to play a game without these features doesn't mean we are wrong. We are just wanting to play this type of game. Shoot text based rpgs are still a thing, but I don't go in their forum trash talking about their ideas being old school and they aren't a fan of the genre.

Flat out @cleansingtotem you are toxic and @LieutenantToast should step in. Calling people care bares, snow flakes, and other names is not going to help you get your way. Just makes your argument weak.

To everyone else let me point out again the mute feature: Click the persons name you want to block/ignore -> navigate to their profile -> click the person icon in the top right -> hit ignore.

E6qgOoi.png
    cleansingtotem be like

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png