Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should we have a minimap at all?

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
1. Should we have a minimap as well as a standard world map (by pressing M)

2. Should we only have a world map by pressing M?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I like both.
    Minimap so I won't have to fully open the map if I want to have a quick look and the full map (M) for a more detailed and wider look.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    I'd say you need both. But you could definitely limit the info you gain from either map, to a certain extent.

For eg, the minimap could show a lot of detailed info for the area around your character, while the world map only gives a general idea of where nodes are being built and what stage they're at.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    EQ style of Map.

Meaning - at the start, no map. But the moment you begin to move and explore, you begin to record and have a map. Not like WoW where you have a outline tho. It is completely empty until you explored that region.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    EQ style of Map.

Meaning - at the start, no map. But the moment you begin to move and explore, you begin to record and have a map. Not like WoW where you have a outline tho. It is completely empty until you explored that region.

That's what Ashes is going to do as well, fog of war.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    EQ style of Map.

So like GW2?
  • Options
    ScifiScifi Member
    edited August 2020
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map
    The world of Verra features an in-game viewable world map. This map is not randomly generated, and begins covered in a fog of war.[4] Players will not be able to see the world until they have explored it or gathered information about it. The world is also full of imperfect information, which will require the player to act on it for verification.[5]
    For example, you may hear a rumor in a tavern that tells you the location of a cave full of weak Kobolds, but this was not accurate as the rumor was started by well-equipped bandits in order to waylay overconfident adventurers.[5]

When information is gathered, or the player has successfully explored an area, points of interest are marked on the map.[6]

These points of interest are determined by Node progression; and not every server will share the same map, as player decisions will vary server to server.[6]
    In addition to node progression being a factor on map generation, zones in Ashes of Creation will cater to all levels.[7]

The map will have geographical choke points (such as Mountains) that are not traversable by players.[8]

Even though we're an open-world that doesn't mean that from a design perspective, especially with the way our economic systems work, that we will want to create Geographic choke points.[8] – Steven Sharif

This is from the Wiki. It sounds good what they have planned. I would like a minimap too btw.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Scifi wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map
    The world of Verra features an in-game viewable world map. This map is not randomly generated, and begins covered in a fog of war.[4] Players will not be able to see the world until they have explored it or gathered information about it. The world is also full of imperfect information, which will require the player to act on it for verification.[5]
    For example, you may hear a rumor in a tavern that tells you the location of a cave full of weak Kobolds, but this was not accurate as the rumor was started by well-equipped bandits in order to waylay overconfident adventurers.[5]

When information is gathered, or the player has successfully explored an area, points of interest are marked on the map.[6]

These points of interest are determined by Node progression; and not every server will share the same map, as player decisions will vary server to server.[6]
    In addition to node progression being a factor on map generation, zones in Ashes of Creation will cater to all levels.[7]

The map will have geographical choke points (such as Mountains) that are not traversable by players.[8]

Even though we're an open-world that doesn't mean that from a design perspective, especially with the way our economic systems work, that we will want to create Geographic choke points.[8] – Steven Sharif

This is from the Wiki. It sounds good what they have planned.

while the basic world map can be charted out I'm going to assume your world map will never be 100% accurate if Stevens vision is met. Nodes will level and de level so that level 3 node you ran passed through a few months back might be a village again or it could be a metropolis.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Just a miniature world map the size of the inventory tab, that we can keep open as we play.

Very basic info, like player direction icon, group member dots, general quest market (just pointing the general area).

I dont want a detailed minimap to entrap me, like all games use now (all mmorpgs, batman witcher rdd2 gta.........).

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface

It looks like we have both the minimap and the world map in the screenshots.

As to if we should? I always thought it did not make a lot of sense. It is like everyone magically has a GPS implant in their head. Realistically you would have to pay attention to your surroundings, and navigate from memory. It is such a expected thing in MMOs that I don't see any reason to fight it. It is one of those little things that I could see people loosing their minds over not being in the game.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    EQ style of Map.

Old-school EQ had no maps whatsoever, except for the maps on allakhazam all drawn by one dude lol
  • Options
    I like having a minimap, but not a detailed one. Group mates, discovered PoIs, direction, and basic geography.

Maybe master gatherers would be able to spot profession-relevant resources on it, but I hate minimap bloat. It eats on performance like nothing else.
  • Options
    I personally do like how they do the Map & Mini-map in Guild Wars 2, that might be something which would work well here as well.
  • Options
    CCCorpCCCorp Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I request Ubie tower to climb and place a crystal on to unlock map data :D
  • Options
    CC Corp wrote: »
    I request Ubie tower to climb and place a crystal on to unlock map data :D

Get out! :D
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I honestly might prefer only a compass when you don't have your map open, that way you can still call out directional information for teammates like "There's an enemy North, look 183!" But it doesn't hold your hand by giving you too much information for free. Mini maps are a slippery slope, and oftentimes they give the player too much information which can lead to autopiloting the experience.
  • Options
    I think a world map by itself would be good, maybe certain races or classes could edit the world map and make it more detailed. Have some maps be more rare or more expensive because they are detailed would be great.
  • Options
    always need both, i dont wanna get lost :cry:
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface

It looks like we have both the minimap and the world map in the screenshots.

As to if we should? I always thought it did not make a lot of sense. It is like everyone magically has a GPS implant in their head. Realistically you would have to pay attention to your surroundings, and navigate from memory. It is such a expected thing in MMOs that I don't see any reason to fight it. It is one of those little things that I could see people loosing their minds over not being in the game.

I agree.

Also don't forget about the Scribe Craft. How the heck is that going to work??? Will they just be limited to recipes and such or will they also be cartographers? Maybe you will get a generalized map of outdoor areas but if you want to go into a dungeon, you will have to purchase a map to get the mini-map to work (of course that begs the question.....does the Scribe have to go into a place first before they can map and sell it themselves?)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In a fully open world you need to have some way to navigate it, which is usually either a map or a compass. If you don't have either of those, questing becomes impossible, as does grouping with anyone intentionally.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »

I agree.

Also don't forget about the Scribe Craft. How the heck is that going to work??? Will they just be limited to recipes and such or will they also be cartographers? Maybe you will get a generalized map of outdoor areas but if you want to go into a dungeon, you will have to purchase a map to get the mini-map to work (of course that begs the question.....does the Scribe have to go into a place first before they can map and sell it themselves?)

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scribes

I did not even know scribe was a thing until you said it. Looks kinda cool.

I don't think we will be dealing with cartography. I did not see it on the wiki. I think it is just going to be fog of war. Which is a fair way to handle things.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    MinkkuMinkku Member
    edited August 2020
    1. Yes to a minimap. The minimap could be either a spell or a vision.
    2. Player made maps would be nice