Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will, or should, there be a Role play editable template in game, viewable by other players?

NyxxaNyxxa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I am a Role player coming from World of Warcraft where a role play template is not available in the base game, it was added by the use of an add on. Many may know of the TRP3 (Total Role Play 3) Add-on used in WoW.

I personally would love to have something similar to it available in Ashes of Creation, as an example:

Name: (Be it the characters name, edited to a cover up name, a nick name, or alternate personality)
Title: (In-game title, edited to a custom title, status title, job title, common used alternate name)
Birthplace: (Place of characters story origin)
Residence: (Current or most common character living, also could be used to describe ones way of living, example: Vagabond/Nomad)
Description: (A brief or more in depth description of the character in the players imagined image)
History: (A brief or more in depth history of the character in the words a player has thought up for the character, be it like a journal or short story)
At a glance: (a few mentions or descriptions of things that would be easily noticeable about the character, such as smell, posture, items/imaginary items note worthy and noticeable, armor/weapon durability or look, general facial expression, how one might feel around them, or how one may know the character)
Currently: (what the character is currently doing, feeling, looking, or D&D health pool/injuries In Character)
Other Information (OOC): (details such as role play availability, the types of role play one does or doesn't accept, players personality, and/or other information.)

Other options included in the WoW Add-on are Guild Membership: IC/OOC, Roleplay Battle Resolution: Roll battle/PvP/ Emote battle, In-character frequency, accept character injury, accept character death, accept character romance, family name, honorific/prefixed title, character age, motto, piercings, tattoos, eye color, race, class, body shape, relationship status, personality trait sliders, theme songs from in-game library, BBCode and images usable in description/history images being available through in-game library, and a personal notes section.

I understand many of these will be unnecessary for Ashes of Creation as it will in general have a more in depth Role play element than most MMOs. This is just one page, or a RP template, that I would like to see in game. I also know that Ashes of Creation currently is on the stance against Add-ons of which I agree with, but with that being said things like this, used by thousands of people, may be good to implement, to a point. In this case specifically, the TRP3 add-on for WoW has been downloaded 2.4 million times on Twitch alone, not including all other downloading origins or methods.

All I have seen so far for Ashes of creation has been the phrase "Character's back story via journal entries (that are shared publicly by the player)." found on the AoC Wiki -- https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character_page

This makes me hopeful and curious, I would just like this to be looked at in the future, and perhaps parts of this suggestion deemed able to be implemented and further implemented in-game. Even if the in depth Role play Community must wait until after the game has lunched in a future patch, we would greatly appreciate it.

Will this be in some way implemented?

Would you like to see something like this or similar implemented?

If you have any ideas to add to or change this suggestion, please post them!

Thank you!
StagAxiomSigCleaned.png

Comments

• Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a fairly simple thing to add, and since there will be no plugins allowed, I would hope they add some sort of "journal" where you can write and share your characters profile with other roleplayers, even if it's just a text box.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think it would hurt the game unless it was mandatory to fill out a character sheet. I would imagine that if it was available a lot of sheets would be empty, or just have meme responses. A compromise would be what Dungeons and Dragons Online does with the "Bio" Feature. It's just a free page of text for other players to see when they inspect you. Even in that game, which I believe has a sizable RP community. The BIO is mostly filled with Non-RP character information, or just a list of alts or other contact information.

I don't think getting the feature is a huge ask, but getting the community to use it seems like it would be,
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Have to agree, as long as it isn't required, this is an easy thing to add that a lot of people would use.

EQ2 also has a similar system, though it is much smaller in scope.
  • Options
    Very much agree that this is desirable. Champions Online had this exact feature. As a creative writer, I thoroughly enjoyed forming a backstory to my character for others to read as they please. Even if I never really participated in active Role-play.
  • Options
    Ooo I like it! It adds cool flavor to our character and story building.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wouldn't mind it but I also have no need either
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    MoMeme6701MoMeme6701 Member
    edited August 2020
    It would be a better idea to give those tools within a quest where the game teaches you how to RP (help a lot of new players who like to RP but they get confused by going over the internet and read a lot of random article about RP), and after work, you will get RP titles and a complete notebook about your story. On the other hand, it won't add a lot of useless tools for none-RP players on default.

Guild Discord: Here
    RP Community Discord: Here
  • Options
    KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I would love an option in the UI to turn on a role-play feature. I did it a lot in my younger years, but have thought about starting it back up in Ashes. I would like it to be a simple template: Character Name and titles they may have, generic description of them, maybe some connection they have with other players and that's it. I personally dislike Backstory, but I wouldn't be opposed to having journal players could write in to not only keep the story in order, but also allowing other players to read it at their own peril.
  • Options
    From the wiki:
    Character sheet
    A character web page (character sheet) will be available closer to live launch that shows the following:[69]

What a character looks like.[69]
    Achievements and server firsts.[69]
    Info on a player's class.[69]
    Character's back story via journal entries (that are shared publicly by the player).[70][71]
    Traits can be applied that describe a character's history.[71]
    You will have a unique homepage for each character and that homepage will be able to be customized by the user to display unique information. It will have a small out-of-game RPG component where you can construct background and traits and stuff like that.[71] – Steven Sharif

The character page will be accessible in game by opening a browser through the UI.[70]

That's part of the character sheet desire for us which hopefully will be accessible in game as well by opening a browser through our UI where you can get back history of a character that that character has input themselves into journal entries that they may choose to share with others... For role play perspective we want people to be in depth with their characters.[70] – Steven Sharif

The player can manage what info is shown on the character page.[69]
  • Options
    Steven thought of everything, the little rascal. Would definitely be more than enough for me.
  • Options
    NyxxaNyxxa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caeryl wrote: »
    From the wiki:
    Character sheet
    A character web page (character sheet) will be available closer to live launch that shows the following:[69]

What a character looks like.[69]
    Achievements and server firsts.[69]
    Info on a player's class.[69]
    Character's back story via journal entries (that are shared publicly by the player).[70][71]
    Traits can be applied that describe a character's history.[71]
    You will have a unique homepage for each character and that homepage will be able to be customized by the user to display unique information. It will have a small out-of-game RPG component where you can construct background and traits and stuff like that.[71] – Steven Sharif

The character page will be accessible in game by opening a browser through the UI.[70]

That's part of the character sheet desire for us which hopefully will be accessible in game as well by opening a browser through our UI where you can get back history of a character that that character has input themselves into journal entries that they may choose to share with others... For role play perspective we want people to be in depth with their characters.[70] – Steven Sharif

The player can manage what info is shown on the character page.[69]

I would be content with that! I suppose now just waiting to see it in action after launch, any ideas further to it can always be added in the future :smile:
    StagAxiomSigCleaned.png