Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Online Giants

perseus01perseus01 Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I just want to exercise this thought for a minute. I hope people will see the significance of just how many casual players there are versus clans that make up an online community. I think it effects the game commercially eventually making it unplayable. There is new found love for some of these communities, but according to some quick google searches, they are quickly falling into descent.
I just want to point this out now rather than later, for creative purposes.

Happy Gaming!

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    :|

Huh?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    That is literally all I have to say about it.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    What are the online giants of ESO and ffxiv that prevent you from playing?
  • Options
    Don't play those games.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @perseus01 Sure the more hardcore base of MMO players is receding and decreasing in population but Steven has committed to provided a game for both casual and hardcore players. His current model will likely not sit well with a significant portion of the casual market as they won't be able to get certain things because they are not hardcore enough but he has stated on many occasions that this game isn't for everybody. I don't think they would adjust things too much to better service casual players.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    Gotcha
  • Options
    It's usually more sustainable to target a loyal niche than a curious crowd. A strong core audience can generate long-lasting interest and draw more similar audiences, while a large, but only mildly-interested majority will buy into the hype, but quickly move on.

The question of audience is a moot one anyway since that was exactly why the kickstarter campaign was held. It was a success, so the assumption is that there is enough of an audience to sustain the game.
  • Options
    97349734 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't really see much that would exclude casual players right now. There's lots to do for a solo player as well as for a group of casual players. The content casual players would be lacking generally pertains to opt-in PKing and potentially the highest tier of 40-person raids if only for a period of time.

Though, it would do you good to understand that the siege of nodes and raiding of freeholds isn't anti-casual. It's not even pro-hardcore. It's the natural flow of the game, following the motif of creation, destruction, and rebirth. Ashes of Creation. Get it? Your house getting burned down because you decided to set up shop in the middle of a war between two Alliances is par for the course. I'm positive there will be many, many casual and solo players able to fulfill their expectations with AoC without suffering unduly griefing or feeling left behind. However, that pertains to casual players with realistic expectations.

Being a Mayor of a T4 or above node, Royalty of a Castle, a highly decorated bounty hunter, dominating a leaderboard, or otherwise expecting some kind of great feat specific to a casual player is not something that I believe a casual player can or should be able to achieve. I don't think it's exclusionary either. Effort in, results out.
    An Esoteric Lynx!
    Discord: https://discord.gg/Axiom
    8zze0395w28i.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    perseus01 wrote: »
    I just want to exercise this thought for a minute. I hope people will see the significance of just how many casual players there are versus clans that make up an online community. I think it effects the game commercially eventually making it unplayable. There is new found love for some of these communities, but according to some quick google searches, they are quickly falling into descent.
    I just want to point this out now rather than later, for creative purposes.

Happy Gaming!

Be honest. Did you get this text from google translate?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.