Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Some things I really hope they get right.

HubrisHubris Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Just a quick list of things I'd really like and I'm curious on everyone's opinions!

- CLASS IDENTITY
There are some games who really lack this such as ESO.

- DPS/HPS CHARTS
I know many people are 50/50 on this idea , but hear me out for a second.
I feel having such charts are crucial to bettering oneself. Yes sometimes you can be left behind on some content because of your damage or heals, but that's honestly because you're not prepared for that content. Charts are a very solid resource that also helps you figure out ways to improve personally.
I personally love seeing how I match up to my friends and others. If anything make it to where you can at least see your own and can link it in a chat if you wanted.
A huge turn off is when doing a boss fight and not knowing how well you're doing.

- CORRUPTION IDEAS
When I sit here and review this corruption system I like it more and more.
But I feel like there is absolutely no reason to go corrupt unless otherwise to be a dick. What if there was a small benefit to being corrupt?
When I say that I think of like a small 5-10% exp gain buff. Since you lose combat skills and you're now being hunted by bounty hunters you are somewhat enabling a HARD MODE to get a little buff. We all know what happens once you die corrupt so I won't get into it that much, but that's just something I thought would be kind of neat. "Should I go corrupt and risk being hunted and risk losing everything for a 5-10% exp boost?" . What are your thoughts?

- CORRUPTION ZONES
1 thing I've always loved and was a highlight in my childhood was the wilderness from RuneScape back when it was a 2d game.
Exploration for items and minions to kill knowing that I could get into a fight at any moment and lose everything. I've had fond memories of guild wars and trying to kite enemies across the map just so I could get to a safe place.
Division has attempted this and it wasn't all that bad and gave a ton of pvpers a lot of content to play with.
You could go as far as adding mineral veins and such to reward the risk and have your guild backing you. I don't know just something I think a lot of people may enjoy in the future. Or even a castle , entering you become flagged right away but what treasure lie deep in the castle? Thoughts like that really make me think of possibilities for PvP content.

-NO ADDONS
I really hate add-ons that effect game play.
Other than charts I really feel like there should be no place for addons. I really hate watching people play these games knowing the dragon is blowing fire in 5 secs. Takes away from the challenge and the experience .

So those are just a few thoughts of mine, I'm curious on what you guys think!

Comments

• Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Class Identity - We don't know yet but you can expect solid archetype identity. As for all classes, its difficult to say. How would you give the tank+fighter class and the fighter+tank class completely unique identities? Most likely they'll just be slightly different in gameplay with a significant difference in flavor.

DPS/HPS Charts - Why not use time as a measure instead of dps/hps meters?

Corruption ideas - Corruption is not encouraged as killing innocent players should never be a way of playing the game. Low levels of corruption don't really harm you too much, but if you kill TOO MANY non-combatants, then you risk losing gear etc. I personally think that this is fine.

Non-corruption zones - It would definitely be an interesting idea to turn resource locations into PvP zones. However, this should ONLY apply to large vein gatherables, as otherwise it will be too difficult for anyone to gather resources alone.

Addons - I agree as well. When addons exist in the game, developers are forced to design the game around those addons. This is specifically true when it comes to high level raiding in WoW. Due to the significant advantage that having addons gives you, raid designers have to assume that you have that addon while designing hard content. This puts players who don't have such addons at an inherent disadvantage.
  • Options
    DummoDummo Member
    edited August 2020
    I like the 'corruption ideas'.
    I don't see how bounty hunters will even be a thing if no one has any real reason to go corrupted.

I'm against dps meters and agree on the no addons.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I hope they manage to make dual wielding abilities work well. Many games fail recently, or have very silly animations.
  • Options
    I hope they manage to make dual wielding abilities work well. Many games fail recently, or have very silly animations.

Do you mean like skills and animations for two daggers or so for example? I agree with that , the animations for duel wielding classes have been pretty meh. I'd love to see how they do it, it's something a lot of creators don't give much thought to I feel.
  • Options
    Dummo wrote: »
    I don't see how bounty hunters will even be a thing if no one has any real reason to go corrupted.

Yeah that was my exact thought process. No one is gonna go corrupt if there isn't any point to it. But I'm sure once we get in game our eyes will open to it and we'll understand more.
    As of right now though I don't see any reason to go corrupt and risk it.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hubris wrote: »

Do you mean like skills and animations for two daggers or so for example? I agree with that , the animations for duel wielding classes have been pretty meh. I'd love to see how they do it, it's something a lot of creators don't give much thought to I feel.

I hope swords and daggers get seperate playstyle, since the one is for rogues the other for warriors.
  • Options
    Dummo wrote: »

Yep this is my only real gripe with the design choices so far. Why even waste time making a bounty hunter system, and I assume benefits of ranking up as one, if being corrupted is entirely negative.

Corruption is the only system so far described that has zero reward for the risk. Hopefully they will give us some better info about corruption and bounty hunting soon that sheds some light on how they think it will actually be a useful interaction.
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not knowing DPS on a Boss is not a huge turn off for me, people who are so used to DPS meters need to let go of the blanket. I don't want them, don't need them. I would never judge a MMO on the basis of wether it had a DPS meter or not. MMO's survived for years without all the min/max tools people have grown used to.

As far as corruption, dropping gatherable will be enough for people to gank you, and people will and can be a dick for no loot at all, reference the Archeage Community and you will understand.

I agree on the add on's, except for No add ons, not even meters.