Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In game write able books/journals?

TheBlackLambTheBlackLamb Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I hope to see in game write able books/journals in the game at some point, so then I could make it my black book on people I want to hunt as my personal hit list, could be used as a note pad for farm spots/trade routes, or could also be a story that someone could write,
Maybe allow this item to have a chance to drop upon death in pvp, allowing this to become a trophy for collectors if someone so happens to have it on them, also could be used as a troll item for those who happen to pick it up.
F6lQFCc.png

Comments

• KohlKohl Member
    Its useful for many other things.
    Also, add calculator.
  • Smart 🤔
  • In game write able books/journals?
    I hope to see in game write able books/journals in the game at some point, so then I could make it my black book on people I want to hunt as my personal hit list, could be used as a note pad for farm spots/trade routes, or could also be a story that someone could write,
    Maybe allow this item to have a chance to drop upon death in pvp, allowing this to become a trophy for collectors if someone so happens to have it on them, also could be used as a troll item for those who happen to pick it up.

Real world Pen and paper would do the same thing wouldn't it?
    save on having something trolled, lost or stolen and save on tremendous amounts of required development time to work on it. Just saying, I think many of us over the years used to keep a notpad of kill onsite names.
  • TheBlackLambTheBlackLamb Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sendbackup wrote: »

Real world Pen and paper would do the same thing wouldn't it?
    save on having something trolled, lost or stolen and save on tremendous amounts of required development time to work on it. Just saying, I think many of us over the years used to keep a notepad of kill onsite names.

I find it funny on how many people assume simple things like this is super hard to make, its like how people believe in game npc names being changed is hard, maybe in 2000 it would have been hard to make, but those who are great at coding and making games with the technology that has came along so far since, which I believe Intrepid has, they would be-able to put this together in there sleep, and all this is, is a more of an extra item, so its definitely not a priority but an idea for the future,

I knew someone like you would comment in such a way lol, don't get me wrong, I understand the whole pen and paper or even your computers notepad/google docs, but this is more of an extra Item that I have mentioned saying "at some point" would allow for some immersion and even in game information trading and what not
    F6lQFCc.png
  • mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I find it funny on how many people assume simple things like this is super hard to make, its like how people believe in game npc names being changed is hard, maybe in 2000 it would have been hard to make, but those who are great at coding and making games with the technology that has came along so far since, which I believe Intrepid has, they would be-able to put this together in there sleep, and all this is, is a more of an extra item, so its definitely not a priority but an idea for the future,

You sound like every BA I've worked with. From a developer IRL let me tell you no feature is easy. Yes initial creation is super simple but it's the everything else. I could mention the SDLC in it's entirety but I'll talk about just a few thing you so quickly glossed over. They now have to support the featue for life. Is it character or account specific? Can they have multiple sheets or is it just one long sheet? Are there formatting options (even the basic ones)? Support for features like this are a nightmare for companies and always end up costing more to maintain then it's really worth. Support tickets alone for "can you recover my lost KOS list!? PLS HELP” can cost companies loads because the answer is almost always the same but they have to respond / open a dialogue.

"I knew someone like you would comment in such a way lol"

This should be the that line for every client I have to talk to about realistic expectations.

That all being said using existing systems to get what you want is what users do best. In lineage 2 they allowed macros and my KOS list was in one entry there. They later interfaced with MSN chat and I created a second account, friended it, and would send messages to my self. AoC might have what you need already we'll just have wait and see.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • @featherfoot1 Yikes, wish I had been able to reply first to prevent all the blow back you got. Whether or not writing in books is more coding effort than it's worth is a moot point, because it's been in the game since the early days. Jeff already confirmed it in 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtG9mB2bREI&feature=youtu.be&t=51m37s

At this point so little is known about Scribes / Map Makers as it was only hit on by one Q&A. All we have confirmed at this time is that you can write in a book and trade that book to others to read. (though when it comes to the personal hate list that you brought up, I hope that is a built in tool in the game that anyone I put on the list then has a unique colored text in their name plate)

But the skill has huge potential if the devs wanted to dedicate a lot of time towards it, maybe something we get in the first expansion after launch? For instance instead of just making isolated books, you could make a map with markers on it and your own notes added in, and you would be able to upload that map to the Library (or even to a Freehold's Tavern Bulletin Board) and then anyone from that node can now go to the library and get that map with the exact location of the gold mine. IF they did allow players to create maps though, I wonder how the game's mechanics will get rid of out-dated maps? Hopefully it can detect that in any of the maps in the library.
    https://aocwiki.net/Scribes
  • loghan wrote: »
    @featherfoot1 Yikes, wish I had been able to reply first to prevent all the blow back you got. Whether or not writing in books is more coding effort than it's worth is a moot point, because it's been in the game since the early days. Jeff already confirmed it in 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtG9mB2bREI&feature=youtu.be&t=51m37s

At this point so little is known about Scribes / Map Makers as it was only hit on by one Q&A. All we have confirmed at this time is that you can write in a book and trade that book to others to read. (though when it comes to the personal hate list that you brought up, I hope that is a built in tool in the game that anyone I put on the list then has a unique colored text in their name plate)

But the skill has huge potential if the devs wanted to dedicate a lot of time towards it, maybe something we get in the first expansion after launch? For instance instead of just making isolated books, you could make a map with markers on it and your own notes added in, and you would be able to upload that map to the Library (or even to a Freehold's Tavern Bulletin Board) and then anyone from that node can now go to the library and get that map with the exact location of the gold mine. IF they did allow players to create maps though, I wonder how the game's mechanics will get rid of out-dated maps? Hopefully it can detect that in any of the maps in the library.
    https://aocwiki.net/Scribes

If you do not start with an in game map we really should be able to make our own.