Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Husbandry/breeding/taming specialization

WeavingFlowWeavingFlow Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Hello,

First post here. So hey guys !

I'm really interested in the breeding/taming/husbandry profession. But i'm also fairly interested in alchemy and cooking which are my usual go-to professions in most games, and i'm trying to figure out which of them i'd prefer specializing in.

While i can kind of imagine what i may be missing if i don't specialize in alchemy or cooking from other games (like the best potion/food recipes), i'm not sure what would be the actual benefits or drawbacks from specializing in taming/breeding or not. What would you gain from it ?

Would you have better taming possibilities, like more different animals to tame ? Would you have more breeding options ? Or is it just a matter of speed or convenience ?

Also i heard on YT that races influence your possible mounts. Anyone know details about this ?

Thanks

Comments

• loghanloghan Member
    edited August 2020
    Welcome!
    Here's some reading homework.
    https://aocwiki.net/Animal_husbandry

Taming is a skill to advance in and like you would imagine, low skill means you're only taming normal horses, but at a masters skill you're taming massive creatures with big teeth and wings.

And breeding also has a skill level that at low level you can practice animal husbandry on your freehold and breed two types of horses to create a unique new horse. But top tier breeders will be raising dragon eggs or breeding a Gryphon with a Winterhawk to get a unique new epic creature.

Each race will have a unique mount themed after their society, but from everything I have heard any race and ride any mount, there's no restrictions there.

"masters of the animal husbandry profession may then use to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities. Mounts play a large role in Ashes of Creation, and animals like the horse are an early gateway into the unlimited possibilities that await those skilled in the arts of husbandry."

"If you need to tame a giant beast for husbandry as an example, it will be nice to be able to handle yourself in combat should that beast want to eat you instead. -Steve "

"Royal mounts (such as Dragons) are dropped as eggs that can be cultivated by Animal husbandry artisans with a high enough stable upgrade on their freehold"
  • Also do not forget the Trinity of the professions
    Gathering , processing , Crafting

You can only Master a certain number of professions ( 3? not sure) in one of the tree schools.
    So you could be a master Herbalist but would not be able to be a master Alchemist or the other way around.

53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    @WeavingFlow

Mounts have different abilities/stats. You get to breed whatever you want and sell them for gold. The greater your proficiency with animal husbandry, the rarer the mounts that you can breed/obtain as a result of breeding.

You'll be able to raise dragon eggs better than others, resulting in the dragon having a greater lifespan. So players will pay you a ton of gold to do so.

Also, you can get combat pets from the animal husbandry profession.
  • MalcMalc Member
    Do we have any information on mount stats? I spent a lot of time taming and raising babies on Ark and I loved the idea of being able to balance stats to get dinosaurs which are desirable due to their incredible stats. To me this seems like the profession I will go to, but it also depends on how in-depth the mechanical side / thought side of this goes to.
    kNfIFH6.gif
  • Honestly I would of liked a class focused on this. Not just what the summoner does. Like a ''Beastmaster class''. Who relies heavily on mounts and monsters for fighting. Even can mount and protect yourself with them.
    Basically a class that would be like a Pokemon trainer, or Dragon Quest Monsters tamer. Where your monsters PVE and PVP for you. A limit of 3-4 out at a time maybe depending on size and strength. That would of been really unique and awesome.
    I'm excited to see what this will be like and what we can breed for stats and looks.
  • Honestly I would of liked a class focused on this. Not just what the summoner does. Like a ''Beastmaster class''. Who relies heavily on mounts and monsters for fighting. Even can mount and protect yourself with them.
    Basically a class that would be like a Pokemon trainer, or Dragon Quest Monsters tamer. Where your monsters PVE and PVP for you. A limit of 3-4 out at a time maybe depending on size and strength. That would of been really unique and awesome.
    I'm excited to see what this will be like and what we can breed for stats and looks.

I mean, we have a class called Beastmaster.
  • I believe I remember reading somewhere that you can unlock skins for certain summons through animal husbandry, maybe on the wiki.

Taming and animal husbandry go hand in hand. Taming is like the 'gathering' part of the process, where one goes to tame a wild creature. At lower levels this will be something like taming a horse or maybe a cow like creature that is in a herd, cause herds will be a thing, and at higher levels this may look like venturing up to a cave, finding a Manticore, and possibly through subduing it or feeding it a food it likes (who knows, the actual process of taming isn't specified yet).

Animal husbandry is the 'processing/crafting' bit of the process, where you take those creatures that have been tamed and breed them together to make fun and unique mounts, and sometimes even combat pets. Mounts will be an important part of the game (or so it's been said) so I'm sure you'll have iconic players in a server recognizable be a unique mount they have. What's important to note, however, is that you can take the traits of unique and possibly variant creatures, say a Manticore with added flame damage, and now when breeding that Manticore with another creature, it may have some sort of flame aesthetic and/or deal flame damage (because some mounts will have abilities). This also applies to pets to.

Now, if you look at the business side of things, say I'm an owner of a freehold trying to get a business going with my animal husbandry skills. At the beginning, there will probably be a lot of horses going around, so I'll probably get a horse or two to breed and make a potentially better horse, to sell to someone. With that money, I can now hire someone else who specializes in taming, while I specialize in animal husbandry, to catch creatures for me to breed, saving me both time and effort. (Maybe I'll throw in a bonus if they get a unique monster). I then breed these creatures for a new and improved mount, sell it to an adventurer, who gives me more money for the better mount, and now I have even more money to upgrade my freehold or to continue hiring the tamer. You can really see a beautiful system they've designed here with the economy, and this goes for most of the other lines of professions as well.

P.S. You will be able to experiment in the beginning with different professions before investing in one or another, so if you want to see how it feels in game you can. Personally, I'm going animal husbandry all the way :sunglasses:
  • also read the wiki, it will answer so many questions, and if the answer isn't there, then it probably isn't anywhere
  • DicdonyaDicdonya Member
    edited August 2020
    Malc wrote: »
    Do we have any information on mount stats? I spent a lot of time taming and raising babies on Ark and I loved the idea of being able to balance stats to get dinosaurs which are desirable due to their incredible stats. To me this seems like the profession I will go to, but it also depends on how in-depth the mechanical side / thought side of this goes to.

Yeah this is what I am waiting to find out as well. If the breeding will be like Ark, where you first tame/acquire a good base animal, then through breeding continue to increase the desired stats(or color/features) through mutations or finding another animal with high stats in an area the first one did not have.

I am hoping its not just raise X number of horses, and if you are lucky/highly skilled you get random new horse Y that is a little better but that is it.

Edit: Also I wonder if animal husbandry is only mounts, or will you be able to have livestock, and increase the yield of those livestock in some way with higher skill?
  • @Dicdonya Like breeding a chicken with 10 wings so you can easily supply your Tavern with all the fried buffalo wings necessary? Or even better, breed a buffalo with wings so buffalo wings are actually wings from a buffalo!
  • loghan wrote: »
    @Dicdonya Like breeding a chicken with 10 wings so you can easily supply your Tavern with all the fried buffalo wings necessary? Or even better, breed a buffalo with wings so buffalo wings are actually wings from a buffalo!

Sure why not lol, we have already seen 4 wings on a bird, lets mutate those freaking chickens!

In seriousness I mean more like you start with a wild chicken, and it might only supply 1lb of meat, but after raising chickens for X amount of time, and breeding them for size/plumpness, you might have chickens that supply 5lbs of meat, increasing your yield and potential to make money.

Or you raise chickens long enough that instead of increased yield, the chicken meat itself becomes "better" which when used in a food dish increases the effect of the dish. Think along the lines of a +1 dish from other MMOs.
  • FaolchuFaolchu Member
    edited August 2020
    I was truly hoping to see a class like the original Tamer class from UO come back into the genre with this game. Was the highest grind in the game adventure profession wise, but had a big risk/reward. Multiple dragons as pets helping you grind-out and dominate a dungeon camp. The only profession who could solo the strongest creatures in the game (Ancient Dragons and Balrogs) with enough dragon pets. You could build them anyway you want, bow tamer, mage tamer (easiest to move around), melee tamer (funnest in my opinion, but with the most obvious risk) and you could wear any armor type (like all classes in the game).

But with time it got watered down and more and more easier to grind, same with crafters like smiths, so it wasn't just for the hardcore grinding individuals and everyone had a tamer/smith alt near the end (of my play time anyways).

Really hoped to see something like that but doesn't look like it 100%. I'll definitely be rolling a Beastmaster first to see how it is, not sure if all classes can wield all weapons/armor types yet but we'll see the fun mix-ups that can happen. Just hope it's not just weak summons but based on the class description summons won't make you "stronger" as a class but have been designed to take up a portion of your power and there is something you have to give up in order to go that path (I'd imagine survivability). So we only get to wait and see.

Classic UO was so groundbreaking it was a dream come true at the time but after the Trammel expansion it got heavily watered down trying to compete with the PVE friendly games (due to full loot drop etc.) that it has yet been remotely duplicated after over 20 years. But the genre systems it came up with originally were truly inspiring.
  • @Dicdonya The devs haven't gone deep enough to confirm yet alot of what you're hoping for but one thing that I remember hearing in a Q&A was that meat for example from animals you raise can have different levels of quality, I believe they mentioned that in relation to the husbandry system. And they went on to say that if you then take that high quality meat and use it on a top tier oven that a top tier Cook is using then the combination of that higher quality meat plus higher quality cooking process results in both the freshness of the food lasting longer and the buff it provides being stronger.
  • loghan wrote: »
    @Dicdonya The devs haven't gone deep enough to confirm yet alot of what you're hoping for but one thing that I remember hearing in a Q&A was that meat for example from animals you raise can have different levels of quality, I believe they mentioned that in relation to the husbandry system. And they went on to say that if you then take that high quality meat and use it on a top tier oven that a top tier Cook is using then the combination of that higher quality meat plus higher quality cooking process results in both the freshness of the food lasting longer and the buff it provides being stronger.

Thanks for bringing that up, it sounds quite nice to me, and almost exactly what I was hoping for. :)
  • YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited August 2020
    Gotta catch em all, Husbandry! XD

They didn't tell us crap about anything but fishing.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East