Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

if you have time for an interesting article.

Article on Social architecture.
http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001625.php?page=1

"Game pacing has increased dramatically. In EQ, it took significantly longer to kill mobs and there was also much more downtime between combat. As some respondents pointed out, the availability of downtime increased social interaction among players."

"More importantly, game mechanics don't only change how we play the game, but they also change how we interact with other players and what cultural norms emerge. In EQ, it was perfectly normal to stop and say hi to a stranger running by and ask for help, for a buff, or for directions. In WoW, you oftentimes can't ask for help without being told to look it up on Thottbot.

Whilst reading through the DPS megathread I remembered this old thing I read years ago, and thought id pop a link up for some light reading.

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

"Game pacing has increased dramatically. In EQ, it took significantly longer to kill mobs and there was also much more downtime between combat. As some respondents pointed out, the availability of downtime increased social interaction among players."

"More importantly, game mechanics don't only change how we play the game, but they also change how we interact with other players and what cultural norms emerge. In EQ, it was perfectly normal to stop and say hi to a stranger running by and ask for help, for a buff, or for directions. In WoW, you oftentimes can't ask for help without being told to look it up on Thottbot.

This seems to be what they are going for. The slower world where every one helps the community vs what we see in WoW these days.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited August 2020
    Ya, EQ with it's slow combat and tons of downtime, it gave time for people to socialize. But, now with voice, people just aren't into stopping to "read" chat. And by the time they do, they are miles away.

We are in a different age now, and I doubt people are willing to backpeddle our society with communication devices or slow down people's hyperactivity.

By making groups dependant on certain classes, hopefully more people will be more inclined to socialize. But we live in an entitled world, where we don't want to rely on anyone and want do it all solo, because they don't know how to be social (group finder?).

It used to be... People would band together and try and solve problems (quests or just kill mobs). Remember... "group seeking dps at north wall!"? Now, it's just a race to be on top of the leader boards and I don't need anyone for that.