Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unarmed fighting anyone?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ulquiorra wrote: »
    Same same. Kung Fu with just shield. Saw it in a mobile MMO and I immediately fell in love with the idea and couldn't get it out of my mind. Which game did you see this from?

In the game I've played, the class uses aura or spiritual energy to form large yellow flying palm hands* to do AoE damage, I was excited to explore more about the class, but now that's all I remember. :s

Similar to this model was UO - which was entirely skill based, and had no classes or levels - but for instance as a mage if you wanted to be incredibly tanky(the build I went with for mine), you would pick up parry - which gave you the ability to block while using a shield, and wrestling, which also allowed you to block - and at high enough skill levels paralyze or disarm people on a cooldown. So you would essentially have two avoidance abilities, and delay tactics to carve out windows to cast spells. Was pretty solid, but if I ever saw anyone with a kryss I'd just run the hell away - because you could back to back "ignore armor" with a kryss, and I'd get two shot if both hits landed lol ;) hurray for necro-fencers.
  • Options
    I would like unarmed combat, but being completely without a weapon seems pointless though.

Im all for fist weapons like gauntlets, knuckles, Katar or claws though for some punchy action.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Unarmed? How will you fight with no arms.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I like the concept of some form of weaponless martial combat, especially if there will be grappling type moves or crowd-control options against humanoid type targets. This might change up the loot-hunt for a player slightly, but it reminds me somewhat of the Monk from FFXI fighting w/ fists (and occasional kicks). This might be a neat path for an infiltrator/stealth type assassin or a brawler in weapon-free arena fights.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »

Like a glorious Knight of Ni, obviously!
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    Like a glorious Knight of Ni, obviously!

Tis but a scratch!
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Neurath wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsJP5Ox5rU

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
  • Options
    3am3am Member
    edited August 2020
    I mean there are other non eastern martial arts. It would be incredible to see a wrestling/boxing/ kickboxing/savat class seated in a western animation style.real wrestlers can break spines if they arent careful, not to mention the origination if the sport was to do just that and more, and its fast as hell. And dont get me started on boxing champs, the flow and combos my god. They dont need magic. Also literally every culture has a specific unarmed fighting style. You could easily contruct a class around western unarmed Fighting. Call them brawlers to detract from the eastern niche. And it makes sense, almost every culture has cultivated one ( not famous ornpopular) but still a fighting style. But an ENTIRE PLANET with MULTIPLE RACES just skipped hand to hand combat. I dont think so.

So yes. Im a loud yes.
  • Options
    Since AOC design has some "visual elements" in arabian and "tropical" styles - there is no problem with exotic weapon(fist also).
    + fist weapon
    + matrial artist style character
  • Options
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    Any front line folks curious/hoping there will be an option to fight without a weapon?

In a 2017 Q&A, can't remember which one on the AOC youtube page, this question was asked. Steven and Jeff said they do not plan to have unarmed fighting.

But like @OrcLuck brought up, fist fighting tavern brawls as a Tavern game mechanic the devs actually jokingly brought up as well after answering that question about unarmed fighting. And I believe Steven basically put a pin in that idea and left us hanging with the classic Steven answer of "Yeah I really like that idea of a tavern brawl, I could see that becoming a tavern game."

So here's hoping! Having a Tavern to 1vs1 duel someone for money would be on my wish list. And if it doesn't make it for launch then I bet they would add it in an expansion, (Expansion 2 "Drunken Dwarf Games")

• Options
    A major issue of effective unarmed combat would also be the lack of an upkeep for keeping your equipment from falling apart. Fists don't cost anything to equip, and don't cost anything to repair. You can never equip better fists, and you can't sell your old fists.

I'm not against fists being generally usable in fights, they just shouldn't be a realistic alternative to actual weapons.
  • Options
    Beekeeper wrote: »
    A major issue of effective unarmed combat would also be the lack of an upkeep for keeping your equipment from falling apart. Fists don't cost anything to equip, and don't cost anything to repair. You can never equip better fists, and you can't sell your old fists.

I'm not against fists being generally usable in fights, they just shouldn't be a realistic alternative to actual weapons.

Don't think of it as fists, but as brass knuckles.
  • Options
    I would count brass knuckles as fist weapons. If fist weapons are in the game, I would expect there to be brass knuckles as a base version, so you'll be able to transmog your thing into them.

As I said, I'm fine with fist weapons.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would count brass knuckles as fist weapons. If fist weapons are in the game, I would expect there to be brass knuckles as a base version, so you'll be able to transmog your thing into them.

Not only am I fine with them, I think they’d bring additional variety of gameplay without complicating matters or going against the aesthetics. I’d love them.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

Not only am I fine with them, I think they’d bring additional variety of gameplay without complicating matters or going against the aesthetics. I’d love them.

100% agree. The idea of a brawler was what I personally want to see in this game.
  • Options
    I don't know about completely unarmed but I would like to see claw weapons included. They had them in Lineage 2 which tends to be Steve's main nostalgia, so I can be hopeful :)