Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Marry me and my family.

As it stands. We have been told that family members are going to be able to summon each other and marriages will share storage and possibly homes.

As much as I support the non hardcore players and their time invested, this feature is going against some of intrepids core beliefs (Travel time and economy atrophy.).

So, guildies... Who wants to marry me and my alts?

Comments

• Options
    Hummm, my problem with that is, how exactly are you going to prove said said people are family? Because everyone could be adults, using separate credit cards with possible different last names, etc.

Not sure if I really like this policy and feel every player should have the same time required to reach a destination. 'family' shouldn't give you an advantage over others.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I plan on running my guild when AoC comes out but hell, I'll marry you bro. We can signify an alliance by a good old marriage of royalty!

I dislike the fast travel idea based on things like this but I am willing to let them sort it out during development. The sharing of homes I think should be allowed between friends if possible. I certainly don't want to see 100's of homes with nothing in them. It might be fun to see what they can become with an in game family in a home. If you ever saw my bases in Rust you would understand how much of an organization freak I am haha.
  • Options
    I believe Steven has stated the only fast travel would happen within a node's area. Have they stated family members could summon one another from opposite sides of the world?
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Hummm, my problem with that is, how exactly are you going to prove said said people are family? Because everyone could be adults, using separate credit cards with possible different last names, etc.

Not sure if I really like this policy and feel every player should have the same time required to reach a destination. 'family' shouldn't give you an advantage over others.

The family system is an in game system used to make it easy for groups that regularly play together to join up.

Families
    Families are a means to relate up to eight characters.[48][49][50]
    • A character may only belong to one family at a time.[48]
    • Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days.[48]
    • Family sizes are limited to eight characters.[48]

Family summon is a long duration cast (30 seconds to a minute) with an approximate 30 minute cooldown that slowly summons each of your family members to your location (up to eight members).[51][52] Players cannot be summoned while in combat, if they are corrupted, or if they are engaged in an event, such as node wars, guild wars, sieges, arenas or participation in the caravan system.[53]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character
  • Options
    I don't think there is going to be a range limit. Just a location and state limitation. Can't do it in combat or in a state that would be associated with combat. Also if you set off a caravan or mule then you can't summon in that situation either.

I still don't really like the system. I don't think it's that bad to just make them run to the person they want to play with. Instead of creating a possible to abuse system to appease to a group that may not even exist in the game.

The other benefits to the family system are fine, but I don't think you should get a free teleport. Especially when an entire raid could use it to relocate themselves across the world at any moment.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I don't think there is going to be a range limit. Just a location and state limitation. Can't do it in combat or in a state that would be associated with combat. Also if you set off a caravan or mule then you can't summon in that situation either.

I still don't really like the system. I don't think it's that bad to just make them run to the person they want to play with. Instead of creating a possible to abuse system to appease to a group that may not even exist in the game.

The other benefits to the family system are fine, but I don't think you should get a free teleport. Especially when an entire raid could use it to relocate themselves across the world at any moment.
    I agree. I think it would be enough if you had a waypoint that pointed you in their direction, and/or showed you on the map where they are so you can go to them. That’s something I’d also like to see for group members and maybe guild members.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Again, I understand why Intrepid wants to include these features. It makes sense. Unfortunately, they're going to be exploited beyond the intended design. Once you make a rule, you have make rules to govern those rules.
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »

The family system is an in game system used to make it easy for groups that regularly play together to join up.

Families
    Families are a means to relate up to eight characters.[48][49][50]
    • A character may only belong to one family at a time.[48]
    • Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days.[48]
    • Family sizes are limited to eight characters.[48]

Family summon is a long duration cast (30 seconds to a minute) with an approximate 30 minute cooldown that slowly summons each of your family members to your location (up to eight members).[51][52] Players cannot be summoned while in combat, if they are corrupted, or if they are engaged in an event, such as node wars, guild wars, sieges, arenas or participation in the caravan system.[53]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character

Ah thanks for explaining that. I thought based on a few other things, that it was a real family member (no, I have not read all things AoC but I am trying)

Hummm, I still don't know if I like it since it gives some a distinct advantage. For those who aren't in 'families' they will not have this available to them. Even if you were in a guild you still might not have a family.

I don't mind fast travel for say getting a group member into an instanced dungeon but since distance in this game is supposedly all about meaningful travel time, this kind of goes against that.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    It's more that it gives try hard guilds a tool to abuse and they will use it in the worst possible way outside of their intended design.

Like it can be used to group at castle or node sieges they otherwise could not make it to. Realistically a normal guild won't be sectioned off in 40 player group family units. However a try hard guild will. So they can abuse it to take control of the entire world pretty easily. All they have to do is zerg down every node that is in opposition to them or zerg down potentially growing nodes. They do can do this anywhere in the world, at any time, with no downtime if they plan it around people spending time off schedule running.

This system will be the reason zerging exists if it does. Though even without it you can just not separate in the beginning. However, that would at least still cover less ground.

Respect Murphy's Law it is a real problem. If you want to play together then you should plan that in advance. You don't need an op as hell system that is easily abusable to make it happen.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited August 2020
    I understand there are (or will be) features to prevent exploits, like cooldowns and such, for summons. But, really? It won't be a "family" feature, but a "game" feature.

Let's not forget about the idea about "shared" storage for married couples. People will just be marrying for the sake of storage. I just hope getting married doesn't require a GM, that would be a waste of resources. Because every one of my toons is getting married for extra storage, and I will need devorces for those afk spouses.

Single/Green/Orc seeks anyone for matrimony for storage sharing and possible summons.
  • Options
    They could make matching married only cosmetics. People care enough about transmog to make things related to it enough of a reward on it's own.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Sold. Marry is an uh, strong word. Family though, absolutely.
  • Options
    We are one big happy family, aren't we? 🤗
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    So, with the latest Livestream. It's been confirmed; Taboo is the latest game feature, with "rested exp" and a bonus with family members (bunks and spouse sharing beds). My family just got bigger. 😋