Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gear progression and gear related thoughts.

Hello, joined the forum recently and been scrolling to see if there are any discussion about gear progression for the game. Couldn't seem to find any, so heres one :)

Gear Progression:
I have played alot of MMOs in my days, and one is more of an pve guy. I love to get along with 2, 5, 10 friends and just shread dungeon/raid bosses with hard tactics and mechanics. I have to give it to WoW, they really know/knew how this is made, also how you simply starts too feel your character grow in strenght over time you play and progress into harder and harder dungeons. I quit Wow after Cataclysm expansion and started to play GW2 alot. This game also has alot of great futures that they implementet later in the game. But one thing they lack is the gear progression. You hit max level, get some exotics and after that Ascended gear, this is the best gear in the game. It takes some time to gather it or craft it, but once you have it, you can't get any better gear. (there is Legendary gear, but it still have the same stats as the Ascended) only diffrent is that the gear have diffrent stats. So GW2 is pretty much as they say, "Fasion Wars 2" (Haters gona hate, I just sayin, I love Gw2)
What I try to say is that I think to alot of people gear is important and people want to see their character grow in strenght with it..
Now that I write this I do remember a Dev talk about similar question and how it will work. But This is one feature that I value the most in a MMO game as a PVE player.

Weapon wielding:
How come in almos (saying almost cuz I haven't played all MMOs so dont know for sure) every mmo there is certain weapons that certain classes can't wield.

You have said alot of things about other mmos not being realistic(as realistic they can be for a fantasy world). How come a priest or a mage for example can't wield a bow?? surely they wont need it, but why can they not equip it?? Obvious because then the loot system will have some flaus and probably be alot of ninjalooters, but just have personal loot or master looter will fix it. So is there a ranger/hunter that need the bow, give it to them. But if there is no hunter/ranger in the group and a priest wants it for some role play. Cool take it and look like Legolas or Green Arrow I don't care. But make them able to wield it.
Also a mage can't wield a Two handed axe/sword/hammer you name it. Usualy mages have lower physic and so. But when you create your character, often you have the opertunity to change body physics to pretty muscular type, but still can't wield a two-handed sword? same there. Would be cool AND realistic for all classes to atleast wield/equip all types of weapons.

One thing more I would like to see in an mmo is more spears and polearms. Really into antik Greece and Rome, where soldiers of Rome had spears and sheilds, also the Spartans. One-handed spears and shields would be really awesome to see in AOC, not just for tanks, but also for a dps spec :)

Combat system:
This have been mentioned before many times in other threads and videos. But can't been said enough imo.
How the combat will play out will have a big impact on the game. It must feel alive to make it attractive to players.

there I said mine, hope you like reading it and have some thoughts about it too. Bad or good tell me what you think.
have a Nice day.

Comments

• Every class can wield every weapon. Its just more effective on some.

Gear progression will be a long process. Legendaries are truely rare and resources to create top tier gear will be very limited. Also maintaining that gear will be very expensive
  • Warth wrote: »
    Every class can wield every weapon. Its just more effective on some.

Gear progression will be a long process. Legendaries are truely rare and resources to create top tier gear will be very limited. Also maintaining that gear will be very expensive

Is that so?? Awesome :)

Yeah remember that Legendarys will be one of a kind on a server. And it can switch hands by siege battles :) witch is both good and bad imo :/ if u have struggle to get one, u dont wanna lose it xD
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Adding on to what @Warth said, there will be a lot of different types of weapons in the game. You can learn more about them here:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons