Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unique skills

Every set of classes should have an unique skill (an untimate if you will)
Agree/disagree

Comments

• Options
    Agree actually. Not just an ultimate but new abilities too rather than just augments. They don't have to all have the same added abilities. Class combos and even builds should be like playing different characters.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Disagree.

Opinion: In a system that is focused on a higher degree of character customization. Class identity is not important. The unique class names are just nomenclature that add a dash of flavor. We don't need strong class identity, and we should reject class identity in favor of player agency.

Is a Beastmaster and ranged or melee class? An ultimate may decide the play style of the class. Look at how Archeage did classes. The nomencature did not mean much compared to the archtype.

If the opinion above is not convening. Try this one. Ults are just lame. In every game. It always feels like some kinda anime "Forgive me master, I must go all out this one time" crap. I am not interested in it.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Disagree.

Why give a set of classes an ultimate skill? Ultimate skills pretty much only exist in games where there are only like 2 to 5 abilities. You don't need an ultimate skill when you have 20 to 30 abilities.

Also, adding on to what @Vhaeyne said, adding an ultimate skill to every class will make them focus on playing around that 1 ability. It will take away from the diversity of the game and force players to only choose abilities that synergize with their ultimate ability. This also makes several classes have similar play-styles to each other, which takes away from the identity of each class.
  • Options
    I agree if that is the case, but what if it is just a flavor skill, just to identify your class?
  • Options
    I don't like the ultimate idea, what I want is to have a clear difference when it comes to augment the same skill with different secondary classes and schools.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Deachir wrote: »
    I agree if that is the case, but what if it is just a flavor skill, just to identify your class?

You will know my class Identity when you see the dead rise around you, and I laugh as your life force slowly drains from your body into my own.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Deachir wrote: »

You will know my class Identity when you see the dead rise around you, and I laugh as your life force slowly drains from your body into my own.

You will be draining a shadow (look behond you, muehahahaha!)
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree that each class should feel unique but I am not sure about having an ultimate. I would like for the style differences to be more than one skill. This has been my main concern with having such a variety of classes. Will they actually feel different from each other?
  • Options
    AsuraAsura Member
    edited August 2020
    Strongly disagree with ultimates. Typically ultimates are far stronger skills with high cool down, it has no place in an mmorpg. An open world PvP encounter should not be decided by the fact that one opponent had cooldown on his ultimate and the other did not.

Having additional skills based on your class would be nice in my opinion, actually I think it would be cool if you would also get skills from your 2nd archetype but in a weaker from, either only rank 1 skills or only a subset of skills.
  • Options
    Asura wrote: »
    Strongly disagree with ultimates. Typically ultimates are far stronger skills with high cool down, it has no place in an mmorpg. An open world PvP encounter should not be decided by the fact that one opponent had cooldown on his ultimate and the other did not.

Having additional skills based on your class would be nice in my opinion, actually I think it would be cool if you would also get skills from your 2nd archetype but in a weaker from, either only rank 1 skills or only a subset of skills.

I did not mean ultimate like most ppl use the word ultimate sorry for that.

I agree 100% with your second part, that is kind of what i mean :)

• Options
    I don't mind ultimates 'cause they make a class unique, but I care more that the augments for being a Beastmaster need to be different than playing a Necromancer. There should be features that make each class and class combination unique.
  • Options
    agree
    + unique passive bonuses
  • Options
    Agree, something that is achieved at the end of your leveling journey, people who played Lineage 2 know what Song of Purification from level 80 SwS is (when that was max level)
    completemarch2.gif
  • Options
    I partially like the idea. Each primary archetype could have a signature skill, so 8 classes will have that same skill, but each with a respective modifier.

Example: the primary archetype Tank's signature skill is becoming invulnerable against all damage for 5 seconds when used with a 200 seconds cooldown. Now, depending on what class you choose, that skill will be changed a bit:

Knight - Fighter: also deals bonus damage for the duration.
    Guardian - Tank: the skill lasts for 10 seconds.
    Nightshield - Rogue: also becomes invisible for the duration.
    Warden - Ranger: reflects physical ranged damage for the duration.
    Spellshield - Mage: reflects magical damage for the duration.
    Keeper - Summoner: I have no idea, sorry.
    Paladin - Cleric: turns damage taken into healing for the duration.
    Argent - Bard: buffs party members around you with 30% damage reduction for the duration.

But this is what's already going to happen to every skill of the main archetype, so the only difference is that one (or more) skills will be called "ultimate skills", which have high cooldown and can change a fight.

I disagree with 64 distinct "ultimate" skills, unless they're passive.
    Asura wrote: »
    Typically ultimates are far stronger skills with high cool down, it has no place in an mmorpg. An open world PvP encounter should not be decided by the fact that one opponent had cooldown on his ultimate and the other did not.

If you ignore the word "ultimate", skills with high cooldown and strong effects are actually quite present in MMORPGs and aren't a bad thing if balancing is done right. From old games to new ones, it's very common for each class to have one or two skills of this kind. It also doesn't mean you'll automatically lose a PvP encounter if your "ultimate" is down and the opponent's isn't, again, if the game's well balanced. In fact, this type of skill is what could help in PvP situations against hard counter encounters.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    100% agree with baska13