Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Let’s influence the augments

Well guys I think it's about time to share and compile some ideas of augments to influence the dev of IS ;)
Or at least give them a data base where they could pick some ideas.

ARCHETYPE: Rogue
ABILITY GENERAL MECHANISM: Sneak in the back of the enemy target through his shadow. ( if IS make shadow not base on day time and position of the sun )
Add X% critical damages.
CLASSE AUGMENT/TANK : activate on a ally target. For X amount of time being able to sneak in to ally shadow by recasting the spell.
And add damage mitigation for X second

Show your creativity!

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    So as much as I love this idea

How can we influence the augments before we even see the skills that the augments are going to go on?

This has to wait until the NDA on Alpha 1 drops so we can even see what we are working with.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Archetype: Fighter

Skill: 3 cast ability. First is a jab, second is an uppercut, and the final cast is a downward smash.

Tank Augment: First is a jab, second is a shield bash, and final cast is a a downward smash.
    Second cast stuns the target for 1s and final cast knocks the target down.

Fighter Augment: First cast is a charge attack that jabs the target and slows them by 35%. Uppercut cripples the target, reducing their armor for 2s.

Mage Augment: All casts apply Blaze. Upon hitting 3 stacks of Blaze, your target becomes ignited. Ignited targets take bonus burn dmg, and also take bonus dmg from fire type attacks for 3s.

Rogue Augment: Becomes a two cast ability. First cast is a jab that does bonus dmg if you're behind the target. Second cast slits the target's throat dealing bonus execute dmg.

Ranger Augment: First cast becomes a kick that interrupts the target. Second cast is a jab to the heart, that bleeds the target. Final cast is an arrow-shot that knocks the target down, flinging them several feet away.

Summoner Augment: Becomes a two cast ability. First cast becomes a charge attack that pierces the target marking them for 1s. Second cast makes you jump back and all your summoned weapons attack the marked target, dealing less dmg per additional weapon that strikes the target.

Cleric Augment: First cast cleanses you of all debuffs. Heal for a portion of the dmg dealt by each cast.

Bard: I have no idea.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Archetype: Fighter

Skill: 3 cast ability. First is a jab, second is an uppercut, and the final cast is a downward smash.

Tank Augment: First is a jab, second is a shield bash, and final cast is a a downward smash.
    Second cast stuns the target for 1s and final cast knocks the target down.

Fighter Augment: First cast is a charge attack that jabs the target and slows them by 35%. Uppercut cripples the target, reducing their armor for 2s.

Mage Augment: All casts apply Blaze. Upon hitting 3 stacks of Blaze, your target becomes ignited. Ignited targets take bonus burn dmg, and also take bonus dmg from fire type attacks for 3s.

Rogue Augment: Becomes a two cast ability. First cast is a jab that does bonus dmg if you're behind the target. Second cast slits the target's throat dealing bonus execute dmg.

Ranger Augment: First cast becomes a kick that interrupts the target. Second cast is a jab to the heart, that bleeds the target. Final cast is an arrow-shot that knocks the target down, flinging them several feet away.

Summoner Augment: Becomes a two cast ability. First cast becomes a charge attack that pierces the target marking them for 1s. Second cast makes you jump back and all your summoned weapons attack the marked target, dealing less dmg per additional weapon that strikes the target.

Cleric Augment: First cast cleanses you of all debuffs. Heal for a portion of the dmg dealt by each cast.

Bard: I have no idea.

personally, that's exactly the minor effect additions i don't want to see. ost of them still play exactly like a fighter would. This will just result in a number crunching exercise to determin what class should be played in which situation. Each class should have a distinct feel to them, that changes they playstyle significantly.

I do like the 3 hit jab a lot as a base ability though
  • Options
    @Jahlon you are 100% right !

But I'm sure with your knowledge of the game and your MMORPG experience you could come up with some general ideas who have a high probability to be representative of a skill and augment that will be in the game ;)

And if not there's still the ability of APOC that we can play with.

Alacrity:For the duration of this stance, your successful attacks will increase your run speed

Rogue augment: For the duration of this stance, your successful attacks will grant you stealth for Xsec

But has Warth say , it's maybe not enough of a change to feel the difference between class...
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    @Gimlog
    @CaptnChuck

to provide an example of what i mean:

Tank: 3 jabs allow him to deflect the next 3 projectiles or spells within x Seconds.

Summoner: jabs 3 times, each time flinging 2 spectral blades along a narrow line. (either dealing high magic damage or moderate damage + debuff) - Like Jett's ultimate from valorant

(he generates spectral blades through other abilities)

Ranger: 3 jabs, a stack of bleeding each and a leap 10m back

Rogue: (removes global cooldown) allows the shadowblade to jab the vital organs of the enemy 3 times in quick succession. Apply a debuff If all 3 hit successfully, that will increase the severity of bleed effects for x seconds.

Fighter: Charge, slow, knockdown.

Mage: jabs the air 3 times to shoot 3 freezing pulses in a 10m long frontal cone: 1. slows, 2. roots, 3. adds a combo effect to your next fire, wind or lightning spell
    (Avatar ish)
    https://youtu.be/1VERMyFiuqg
    at 35 seconds

Bard: each jab reduces the remaining CD of your other skills by x seconds.

Cleric: restores mana and health with each jab
  • Options
    @Warth

Augments are supposed to augment your abilities. Not completely change them into diff abilities. I think the rogue and summoner change is as far as I would go when it comes to changing the ability fundamentally.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

Augments are supposed to augment your abilities. Not completely change them into diff abilities. I think the rogue and summoner change is as far as I would go when it comes to changing the ability fundamentally.

@CaptnChuck you are right. Mine deviated a bit too much

@Gimlog

i have corrected them to involve both the jab and the triple cast of the primary
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    edited August 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »
    So as much as I love this idea

How can we influence the augments before we even see the skills that the augments are going to go on?

This has to wait until the NDA on Alpha 1 drops so we can even see what we are working with.

I agree 100%, it's bad to get hasty and try to influence the game prior to having any real understanding of the real game. It can backfire if IS decides to use these ideas and they turn out to be OP or underwhelming since the ideas relative to other augments don't operate with the same design mindset.
  • Options
    Kat_N7Kat_N7 Member
    edited August 2020
    I agree, as excited as I am there's also very little to go on at the moment. I'm very interested in bard, but nothing has been showcased yet so hard to theory anything at this time. Fun idea though
  • Options
    I'll just trust the team to do that for me. I seriously doubt after all the work they put in that they are going to let Augments ruin the game. Not one persons idea will work in this kind of a system usually. This is a system where their internal team working together is the most effective.

They'll have to ask specific dev questions if they want my feedback on it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    @bot I'm not expecting them to take 100% of ideas and put it in the game.

One of us may have some cool original ideas that IS could us the general ideas that as been share and us it with some tweaks to make it fit into one of there class designs.

If at a certain point they need inspiration to find some last skill or augment for a class , they could end up in this kind of post to find some ideas.

If some of us had his brain going crazy while learning about augments and want to share those crazy ideas , they can share it in this post.

And maybe a dev in his spare time read this ideas and find some useful stuff in it.
    They will not make one brainstorming and get a full class out it.
    Brainstorming/finding new inspiration/Brainstorming again and so on until they have some things they're happy with, ect ect
  • Options
    SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    One of the examples IS often uses to express their idea is the Blink augment for Charge; which does alter the behavior of the skill (not its form or function). Other mage augments they describe, in the same breadth, add status effects like fire damage or CC.

It seems fair to say that augments will alter the appearance, effect, values and (perhaps rarely) the behavior of a skill. I presume some of our talents may alter the functionality/limitations of our skills. Sharif described a Mage talent that made Blink's direction dependant on keystrokes rather than the direction your avatar is facing, If we were to couple this with an augment that creates a nova of damage and/or CC at the beginning and end of the Blink I would be satisfied with how distinct it would be over the original skill.

If we use the Blink augment of Charge it wouldn't be hard to imagine a talent that extends it's range, the duration/damage of its status effects, or (prohibitively*) a unique change that would allow the Battle Mage to reach targets where a conventional path for the base skill doesn't exist.

IS have industry veterans, passionate leadership and thoughtful goals for such an immense project. I have faith that we'll be able to help them iterate on the skills and augments they produce. I happily encourage speculation into the skills we discover (Sharif may have 'accidently' moused over the tooltips on his Tank hotbar during one of the most recent videos).

*I say 'prohibitively' because I personally dislike suggesting things that may increase development time and like to suggest things that cleverly increase complexity without too much effort
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • Options
    Sussurro wrote: »
    One of the examples IS often uses to express their idea is the Blink augment for Charge; which does alter the behavior of the skill (not its form or function). Other mage augments they describe, in the same breadth, add status effects like fire damage or CC.

It seems fair to say that augments will alter the appearance, effect, values and (perhaps rarely) the behavior of a skill. I presume some of our talents may alter the functionality/limitations of our skills. Sharif described a Mage talent that made Blink's direction dependant on keystrokes rather than the direction your avatar is facing, If we were to couple this with an augment that creates a nova of damage and/or CC at the beginning and end of the Blink I would be satisfied with how distinct it would be over the original skill.

If we use the Blink augment of Charge it wouldn't be hard to imagine a talent that extends it's range, the duration/damage of its status effects, or (prohibitively*) a unique change that would allow the Battle Mage to reach targets where a conventional path for the base skill doesn't exist.

IS have industry veterans, passionate leadership and thoughtful goals for such an immense project. I have faith that we'll be able to help them iterate on the skills and augments they produce. I happily encourage speculation into the skills we discover (Sharif may have 'accidently' moused over the tooltips on his Tank hotbar during one of the most recent videos).

*I say 'prohibitively' because I personally dislike suggesting things that may increase development time and like to suggest things that cleverly increase complexity without too much effort

That's what i fear as well.We might end up with 8 classes with a couple of different flavours instead of 64 classes which would be quiet sad in my opinion.

• Options
    SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That's what i fear as well.We might end up with 8 classes with a couple of different flavours instead of 64 classes which would be quiet sad in my opinion.

It isn't something I would fear. If the augments fit thematically within the classes that AoC is projected to have it would satisfy me, full stop.

I also think we'll be able to somewhat fulfill the holy trinity roles our primary and secondary archetype offer. I infer this may be the case because all classes can use all gear in the game. There are certain skills that require certain pieces, but I think we may be able to outfit our characters to bolster 'unconventional' playstyles.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited August 2020
    I hope augments will be trade-offs, such as for example: with the warrior charge becoming a blink.
    - Charge = now blinks you to the target, and reduces your defenses by 10% for 5 seconds.
    -
    - for a ranger, if penetrating shot is combined with a fireball (mage), the effect could be damage + explosion which puts a fire dot on all players in that area (damage over time)
    the side effect should be that it no longer penetrates the armor that increased its critical damage.

Too many games just keep on giving and giving, I think it's time we start to get some trade-offs and have to think about what we are giving up.
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    Gimlog wrote: »
    @bot I'm not expecting them to take 100% of ideas and put it in the game.

One of us may have some cool original ideas that IS could us the general ideas that as been share and us it with some tweaks to make it fit into one of there class designs.

If at a certain point they need inspiration to find some last skill or augment for a class , they could end up in this kind of post to find some ideas.

If some of us had his brain going crazy while learning about augments and want to share those crazy ideas , they can share it in this post.

And maybe a dev in his spare time read this ideas and find some useful stuff in it.
    They will not make one brainstorming and get a full class out it.
    Brainstorming/finding new inspiration/Brainstorming again and so on until they have some things they're happy with, ect ect

I never said otherwise, I said we should wait to see the skills in action first before trying to influence the game with augment ideas.
  • Options
    I can't disagree with you @bot and @Jahlon but I can't take down this feeling that if we wait until Beta and having those skills and augments, that it would be maybe to late ...

There is little chance that they design a skill and make it playable for putting it in to a trash bag if it doesn't work as antedate , they will tweak it and make it work.

So to me to early is better than to late...