Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Railroads in Ashes Confirmed?

Great Lords, Ladies and Corrupted of Ashes, lend me your ears...

I have returned from spelunking into the dankest depths of Ashes archives and return with what I believe is confirmation that Ashes will have railroads as a mean of material transport and faster travel. I wonder if railroads can only be built underground or in mines or if they can be above ground out in the grasslands. Will they connect nodes? Can a player lay tracks to connect a local mine shaft to their freehold? Or will any tracks in game be purely game generated based on Node advancement.

Exhibit A: “There will be magical energies and perhaps magical combustion type things.”-Steven 2018
(timestamp 15:35) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-JEV49xYY&feature=youtu.be&t=15m35s
Exhibit B: The concept art for the Talltuft caravan skin clearly shows railroad tracks with the caravan itself a literal railroad cart: https://aocwiki.net/Talltuft_Patriarch
File:Talltuft_Patriarch.png

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I doubt it unless they have suddenly decided to change direction. They have said before they want a high fantasy setting and less of the steampunk fantastical machines bent. Just because traditional mountain dwarves use tracks inside a mine to haul ore does not mean there will be "magical combustion engines" as a smirk to steam engines. The fact that the mounts are used as beasts of burden would help with that theory. Steven is already dealing the the hue and cry from the family summoning system, doubt they want to throw more fuel on that brushfire by adding what would be perceived as yet another form of "fast-er travel." And final point, others have said in Discord discussions in the past if they see stuff like "Get out da choppa!" they will nope out.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I hope you're right as well, I would prefer only to see railroad tracks but no engines pulling the carts, only these Talltufts and their calves near by with their backpacks filled with gems as just an aesthetic add on. That sort of visual would be an awesome surprise to see when walking into a dwarven mountain node or Tulnar underrealm node.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Trains are not listed as a form of faster travel that has been confirmed.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Public_transportation#Faster_travel
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2020
    Hmm that combustion comment was in response to weapons, and the caravan cosmetic could be it exiting a mine instead of an actual railroad. IIRC, that cosmetic talks about ruby mining in the desert or something.
  • Options
    Maybe referring to the airships..
    sig-Samson-Final.gif