Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What can Intrepid learn from other games

LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
I assume everyone is familiar with the recent success of Fall Guys, and how well the game is doing. I would like to point out one or two aspects that made Fall Guys as successful as it is, and how it is a great example that can benefit Ashes of Creation.

Of course, many things contributed to Fall Guys success, the game came with perfect timing, a colorful, fun, and easy-for-all game in the hard times we are living, but one of the things they are doing differently is their marketing.

Their social media accounts, especially Twitter is responsible for bringing so much attention and excitement to the game, engaging with the community, all the memes and all that "human" stuff that other developers and social media teams don't seem to understand how important it is, and don't get me wrong Ashes of Creation does the same - I love Margaret and everyone on the team, they are on the same level with what Fall Guys is doing, I'm just pointing out with fall guys, an already released game how much this is important, so keep it up - and work on the website, support and all that stuff to make it more human and less robot-like behavior :p

Another thing I think Fall Guys did great, was the whole free on playstation plus thing, and this might be an example for intrepid on how important it is to make the game accessible for people, (I'm not talking about a console release) I'm talking about maybe considering bringing the game on popular platforms like Steam, or making sure the website, installer all that stuff is on point, maybe having a phone app for the game, idk anything that helps the game stand out :)

And of course, No paying to get crowns on Fall Guys is the cherry on top of the cake.

img]
Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I have never heard of Fall Guys. I guess I better Google it.

Let’s see...

Oh, it’s yet another Battle Royale game. :grimace: Maybe they could study it if they ever plan to make APOC a real game but otherwise I don’t see that it’s relevant to Ashes. At least it better not be.

I also just realized you’re the one recently arguing that Ashes should be free to play. Hmm. :neutral:

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    LeroherLeroher Member
    edited August 2020
    Maybe some phone stuff that could work is:
    an app which tells you when a siege/war is declared to your nodes or near ones.
    which also tells you the status of late stage nodes (lvl 5 and 6) in your server, so maybe if one big node turns to ashes in the other part of the map, you know it right away.
    Also access to the forums in an easy way (I'm 24/7 using my phone for the forums cuz I don't have my PC now).
    And even some character customization to try some appearances while riding the bus.

Maybe access to the ingame auction/market is too much.

(Edit: always spelling errors my dudes)
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    edited August 2020
    hmmm idk I think they are making a good job at this already, let's see the ideas maybe they come up with something interesting
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think he has the MMO mixed up with apocolypse :(
  • Options
    Sandman wrote: »

It looks like, but I don't think so, Ashes made a super media boom recently, shouldn't be that xD
  • Options
    LeroherLeroher Member
    edited August 2020
    Marcet wrote: »
    hmmm idk I think they are making a good job at this already, let's see the ideas maybe they come up with something interesting

I think they can't do better tbh, that's why I just came up with some ideas for an app. For the rest? They are doing perfectly and they have a clear objective in mind (that's why).
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Atama wrote: »

Let’s see...

Oh, it’s yet another Battle Royale game. :grimace: Maybe they could study it if they ever plan to make APOC a real game but otherwise I don’t see that it’s relevant to Ashes. At least it better not be.

I also just realized you’re the one recently arguing that Ashes should be free to play. Hmm. :neutral:

@Atama Lmao :D next time take ur time and google it, Fall Guys is an obstacle course wipeout game, it has nothing to do with battle royales.... thats exactly why its doing good - there isnt any similar games on the market - I never said it should be free to play.... I support monthly sub-business models over b2p or f2p, I was talking about a free limited trial, you must be high af :D
    img]
  • Options
    Sandman wrote: »

Nope, I was just pointing out the positives on another game - and comparing it with ashes, that already do the same with the community side, but still can improve and learn with the success of different games
    img]
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »

Let’s see...

@Atama Lmao :D next time take ur time and google it, Fall Guys is an obstacle course wipeout game, it has nothing to do with battle royales.... thats exactly why its doing good - there isnt any similar games on the market - I never said it should be free to play.... I support monthly sub-business models over b2p or f2p, I was talking about a free limited trial, you must be high af :D
    You started a thread asking how Ashes can accommodate players who can’t afford the game. In fact you said nothing in your old thread about a limited trial. Your post history doesn’t go away just because your thread isn’t on the first page anymore. I’m certainly not the one exhibiting signs of drug abuse.

To your credit you did retract your suggestions in that thread after the strong negative response it received, but I think it demonstrates a misunderstanding of what Ashes is trying to be and why Intrepid has made some of the decisions it has. As does this thread to a lesser extent.

And Fall Guys is absolutely a BR game. Maybe you should also Google it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Let’s see...

You started a thread asking how Ashes can accommodate players who can’t afford the game. In fact you said nothing in your old thread about a limited trial. Your post history doesn’t go away just because your thread isn’t on the first page anymore. I’m certainly not the one exhibiting signs of drug abuse.

To your credit you did retract your suggestions in that thread after the strong negative response it received, but I think it demonstrates a misunderstanding of what Ashes is trying to be and why Intrepid has made some of the decisions it has. As does this thread to a lesser extent.

@Atama I don't need to google it, I play it since launch.... You have absolutely no idea what a battle royale is and what you talking about so no need to continue on that line.

I never talked about the game being free to play - you def high

As you said, my posts history don't go away, if you knew how to google stuff or read, you would notice that I made 2 posts, one talking about suggestions to make the game popular - releasing on steam - free limited trial and another post discussing about buying an in-game subscription token and how that could benefit who couldn't afford the game - My LAST reply on that thread 10 days ago is How I changed my mind on that with the replies on that post, which made me saw the negatives that I didn't think about, and how I would close the thread If I could.

As captain america would say: Stay away from drugs kids. And finish school.
    img]
  • Options

Let’s see...

Let’s see...

@Atama I don't need to google it, I play it since launch.... You have absolutely no idea what a battle royale is and what you talking about so no need to continue on that line.

I never talked about the game being free to play - you def high

As you said, my posts history don't go away, if you knew how to google stuff or read, you would notice that I made 2 posts, one talking about suggestions to make the game popular - releasing on steam - free limited trial and another post discussing about buying an in-game subscription token and how that could benefit who couldn't afford the game - My LAST reply on that thread 10 days ago is How I changed my mind on that with the replies on that post, which made me saw the negatives that I didn't think about, and how I would close the thread If I could.

As captain america would say: Stay away from drugs kids. And finish school.

I think both of you should just chill and try to post/comment things that contribute to the game, this "you are more this, you said that" is bs and you should stop.

I'm not taking sides, there's a post about what can IS learn from a succesful and fun game like Fall Guys, let's keep that line, I've already make a contribution about that, do as I did.
  • Options
    I googled it. It's literally described as a battle royale.
  • Options
    GodsThesis wrote: »

:D:D lol alright I'm done, I will call it an Obstacle Course Wipe Out game, and you guys can call it a battle royale, lets agree to disagree
    img]
  • Options

:D:D lol alright I'm done, I will call it an Obstacle Course Wipe Out game, and you guys can call it a battle royale, lets agree to disagree

Ok, I know what I said before, but I will help you guys out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_Guys

The first genre is "Battle Royale".

Means nothing, it's a fun game and your post can be very useful, let's move on.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Leroher wrote: »

Ok, I know what I said before, but I will help you guys out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_Guys

The first genre is "Battle Royale".

Means nothing, it's a fun game and your post can be very useful, let's move on.

yea but the devs don't call it a battle royale, it's not described as a BR on their steam page, and everyone that plays it knows the game is literally a complete opposite from the BR genre... :D agree lets move on :D
    img]
  • Options
    giphy.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Let’s see...

One definition of Battle Royale refers to a game that is won by being the last person standing.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    yea but the devs don't call it a battle royale, it's not described as a BR on their steam page, and everyone that plays it knows the game is literally a complete opposite from the BR genre... :D agree lets move on :D
    From the developers own website
    Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is the perfect chaotic battle royale

Any more comments on the matter?
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Perhaps Intrepid could design a dungeon where you get turned in to little jelly beans and have to navigate an obstacle course to get to the boss.

But seriously, I do know what you mean. The success of Fall Guys is something to be learned from. I don't think they do too much more than any other developer, they just had the right idea for a game that streamers latched on to.

What Ashes needs to ensure some success is to make sure they have a good community and strong partnership with streamers to get the good message across.

What we do have to remember is that Ashes is a very different game to Fall Guys. It's unlikely to have the same grab ability as a party game. If Ashes has a good start it may grab in some good numbers. If the streamers take to it that will help.

• Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Never thought I would take sides on a pointless argument on the internet, but man, you on something @Liniker ? I guess I shouldn't expect much from a person who uses emojis in an argument.
  • Options
    What can a big mmo with complex systems learn from random mini games? That streamers are da wae. Thats about it.
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    You can take away many lessons from many areas of life, but AoC is already on this course, even when they probably shouldn't be. They made APOC available on Steam; They shouldn't have. Social media is drumming up some hype, but I hope it isn't too much too soon for some people. The game has a while to go. I remember the community getting rather impatient over the lack of game play and 3D renders for a period of time. I hope the new people are more resilient.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter that Fall guys is a battle royale and is probably a fad like Pokemon Go. The OP is just saying that their marketing for the game is good, not that things from a casual game should be brought into an MMORPG. I don't really agree that being on steam is important though, because if a game is good, most reasonable people will spend two seconds downloading a launcher for the game. It's not that hard. The game will not use steam servers anyway.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    bigepeen wrote: »
    The OP is just saying that their marketing for the game is good, not that things from a casual game should be brought into an MMORPG.
    Is it in the best interests of an MMORPG to bring in the kind of players that this kind of marketing would bring in though?

The worst thing an MMO can have is an unstable population.

Marketing should only really be aimed at people that are likely to stay in one game for a while, not at people that are more inclined to play a new game to death every month and then move on.

That would be bad for an MMORPG.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    The OP is just saying that their marketing for the game is good, not that things from a casual game should be brought into an MMORPG.
    Is it in the best interests of an MMORPG to bring in the kind of players that this kind of marketing would bring in though?

Marketing should only really be aimed at people that are likely to stay in one game for a while, not at people that are more inclined to play a new game to death every month and then move on.

Good point. The last thing I want is to be on a server that gets flooded by a bunch of streamer subscribers who will leave the game as soon as the streamer moves on to another game, or casuals that only got the game because of social media. I guess organically growing the player base is good, instead of trying to inflate it with social media.
  • Options
    @CaptnChuck @Noaani I will just ignore all the childish personal attacks, I was wrong to assume there wouldn't be kids around ashes forums - clearly, unlike you kids, I have a company to run can't be on the forums 24/7 that's why I didn't reply

https://youtu.be/e29ncHImlS0

Also unlike you there are many people that Actually play the game, and dont consider it to be a battle royale - People that play the game, not people that google it to try to win an argument on the internet, It's opinion based, I couldn't care less about what definition you give to a game

This is my last reply on this matter

img]
  • Options
    Hartwell wrote: »
    You can take away many lessons from many areas of life, but AoC is already on this course, even when they probably shouldn't be. They made APOC available on Steam; They shouldn't have. Social media is drumming up some hype, but I hope it isn't too much too soon for some people. The game has a while to go. I remember the community getting rather impatient over the lack of game play and 3D renders for a period of time. I hope the new people are more resilient.

that's a good point, I agree, however, I do think if APOC didn't messed up as much as it did, the steam release would have been very positive.. all the marketing and decisions behind it from intrepid, were responsible for the hate APOC got...
    img]
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Good point. The last thing I want is to be on a server that gets flooded by a bunch of streamer subscribers who will leave the game as soon as the streamer moves on to another game, or casuals that only got the game because of social media. I guess organically growing the player base is good, instead of trying to inflate it with social media.

I agree, nobody wants that... but honestly, I can't see casuals and people in general paying 15$ a month on a game that they don't really care about - as they have many other popular f2p or b2p mmos to try out, (streamer subscribers are a different story, and inevitable..) I do think people that hear about this game and sub for it will have a certain level of commitment... I might be completely wrong tho
    img]
  • Options
    Fall Guys is gonna dissapear in a month and nobody will ever remember it.

And it is a battle royale, just without guns.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Never thought I would take sides on a pointless argument on the internet, but man, you on something @Liniker ? I guess I shouldn't expect much from a person who uses emojis in an argument.

Actually, emojis are a good way to get across a mood in a chat discussion. I see too many points misunderstood because of no use of emojis.

Shouldn't there be a wink in your reply?