Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Server Population Over Time

What will happen if you join a server and over time the population on that server drops for whatever reason? What will happen to all the progress made on your character or the nodes you have supported?

Many games simply move players from low population servers to high population ones or merge servers. What is the AoC solution to this problem?

Comments

• Options
    If I recall correctly they will merge populations of dying servers into one new blank server.
  • Options
    GrimmLibertyGrimmLiberty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Merge into an already existing server, with the server you are being merged into as the master server... what that actually means is anyone's guess. Best of both? Comparative Nodes? Comparative populations? Worst of both? *shrug*
  • Options
    I am really curious what happens to the nodes, since theoretically they will all be developing differently and mayors will be making different choices over those nodes not to mention racial styles. What if the location of your homestead has been claimed by multiple players?

It seems like it will be a big mess to merge servers.

One solution I can think of is watching active population and adding new players to older servers that are flagging, but that might be disappointing for new players hoping to experience the early game node development.
  • Options
    cyberwolf wrote: »

One solution I can think of is watching active population and adding new players to older servers that are flagging, but that might be disappointing for new players hoping to experience the early game node development.

Nope, that prevents new players from being able to play with whoever they want.

In my opinion, merging servers is pretty much the best thing they can do to fix low server population. As to how they will implement that, we don't know yet.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

In my opinion, merging servers is pretty much the best thing they can do to fix low server population. As to how they will implement that, we don't know yet.

or create incentives for new players to join legacy servers with a lower population. Guiding those that are not prediposed through friends onto the medium-low pop servers usually works really well.

Temporarily Increased EXP gains
    a temporary mount
    some cosmetics

usually is incentive enough for a new player to join the "recommended server"
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

or create incentives for new players to join legacy servers with a lower population. Guiding those that are not prediposed through friends onto the medium-low pop servers usually works really well.

a temporary mount
    some cosmetics

So you're telling me that a new player should be forced to choose between playing with their friends or playing to get a mount or skin? No way man.
  • Options
    NixalNixal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They could offer free character server transfers for dying (or overpopulated) servers.
    Maybe even grant the characters some items that represent their current node xp and resource investment to reinvest that on a node on their new server.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

a temporary mount
    some cosmetics

So you're telling me that a new player should be forced to choose between playing with their friends or playing to get a mount or skin? No way man.

you don't force them to decide at all.

You play with your friends. If you don't have any in the game, then you join the recommended server.

A skin might be the wrong incentive, you are right. Rather a temporary EXP boost, a temporary faster mount, etc. to get these people started in the game
  • Options
    They can give 1 week free trial for servers where the active population is going down.
    Off course with limits such as no global chat and a limit of max level of 15 -- 20 before you have to either buy the Subscription or leave.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif