Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is Headstart P2W - Splice from 17 August Twitch Segment

JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
There has been a lot of discussion as to whether or not the Headstart access granted by Kickstarter is a Pay-to-win (P2W) feature in Ashes of Creation. I got asked to do this segment, still getting used to doing segments that are going to be cut over to YouTube but here is what we have.

The big takeaways from this are

1: The HeadStart servers are going to be clearly identified
2: During pre-registration you and your guild are going to be able to avoid being placed on a Headstart Server
3: Node Development is not even switched on during the Head Start period.

So while yes, Headstart is Technically a “P2W” feature, in that it is a “feature” you gained access to do by “paying” it does not fill the “win” category since players can avoid having any interaction with the system.

Do you have a different opinion? I’d love to have you share it

https://youtu.be/YIzt-dH9bcY
hpsmlCJ.jpg
Make sure to check out Ashes 101

Comments

• Options
    Great video. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    headstart in this case isnt p2w i toally agree with u.
  • Options
    SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Since substantial content is dependent on the tiers of node development I would say it isn't P2W in the traditional sense. I imagine someone could argue that the players who participate in the head-start will have the advantage of avoiding the launch day melee. I'd make a point that the people who've obtained the head-start are among the most motivated part of the playerbase. It will be competitive regardless of if you have silky smooth framerates or a 'slideshow'. I'm interested to see what the launch experience will be like with the technologies that Sharif has alluded to, but I've taken part in a few MMO launches before. Its become such a staple for launches to have tumultuous beginnings that I now consider it a part of the meaningful journey.

Character progression, unaided by the content of node development, will be limited without a doubt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Sussurro wrote: »
    Since substantial content is dependent on the tiers of node development I would say it isn't P2W in the traditional sense. I imagine someone could argue that the players who participate in the head-start will have the advantage of avoiding the launch day melee. I'd make a point that the people who've obtained the head-start are among the most motivated part of the playerbase. It will be competitive regardless of if you have silky smooth framerates or a 'slideshow'. I'm interested to see what the launch experience will be like with the technologies that Sharif has alluded to, but I've taken part in a few MMO launches before. Its become such a staple for launches to have tumultuous beginnings that I now consider it a part of the meaningful journey.

Character progression, unaided by the content of node development, will be limited without a doubt.

Since nothing develops until after the headstart I still dont understand what people are talking about.

We've had two ridiculous threads on people saying cosmetics are pay to win and now everything is pay to win.

If you want to get super technical about it I pay for sub so now we're all paying to win.

Seriously guys, can we just admit its a just a nice homage to the kickstarters and move on? Nothing develops, we're getting a two day early preview.

I would happily give my two day headstart away if it was an option without my account.

Its not going to change or advance anything so it means nothing to me from a gameplay perspective. I thought we were well past this nonsense
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jahlon wrote: »
    There has been a lot of discussion as to whether or not the Headstart access granted by Kickstarter is a Pay-to-win (P2W) feature in Ashes of Creation. I got asked to do this segment, still getting used to doing segments that are going to be cut over to YouTube but here is what we have.

The big takeaways from this are

1: The HeadStart servers are going to be clearly identified
    2: During pre-registration you and your guild are going to be able to avoid being placed on a Headstart Server
    3: Node Development is not even switched on during the Head Start period.

So while yes, Headstart is Technically a “P2W” feature, in that it is a “feature” you gained access to do by “paying” it does not fill the “win” category since players can avoid having any interaction with the system.

Do you have a different opinion? I’d love to have you share it

https://youtu.be/YIzt-dH9bcY

Nice work, as always Jahlon
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I can say, after a lot of discussion on this matter, a lot of people are starting to gravitate towards the center on this issue.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So the whole play to win..... the issue I have is that someone.... someone will always scream PTW! Having anything that is not transferable is PTW? So a Monarch is spending money to play and he or she will be one of a few to fly... oh wait anyone can get that without calling it PTW? Just takes time, effort, leadership, strong teamwork, dedicated guild members... the list goes on.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that nothing someone has bought in the packs will allow them to own you, beat you ingame, somehow threaten you or IRL make you look like any less of a person. All this has been with PTW and AOC is some folks will never be happy, and look for every excuse to find fault. Jahlon feels a little different but in theory he gets this. As a guild leader I hate that we cant gift as I always help my folks, and they help me. A skin or cosmetic will not define me as a person or a player and we know that.

IF.... something was purchased that in any way allowed someone to have better stats, better discovery, stronger solo then I am all about that being PTW. As for headstarters, you all get that although there are some things like early access.... the vastness of the map and all that can be done leaves even those with early access limited bonuses.

BTW i am not a headstart/early access/whale. I from experience like Jahlon, know that the dynamics of the game will not even begin to work themselves out in a few days after release. Be patient, all good things will come and you will be able to say you worked your bumbum off to get yours.
  • Options
    RedFloRedFlo Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I don´t see this as P2W, because if there are special head start servers and for the official launch two days later there will be normal servers.
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as I can start on a server different from the Head Starts then I'm ok with it as well.