Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Preorder Packages

CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
The pre-order packages on the Intrepid website contain access to alpha 2, beta 1 and 2 access. Alongside access to them you also gain in game time and marketplace credits.

Steven said during Asmongold's Interview that he did not care if people pre-ordered the game or not. If he truly didn't, then why exactly is in-game time and marketplace credits being combined with these packages? This is mostly only done when companies need the upfront money.

Beta 2 access is worth about 20$. But it costs 75$ simply because its paired with in game marketplace credits and in game time. Why not just sell beta 2 access, with that belt, for just 35 dollars? Why charge 75$ for it if you don't need the upfront money?

Its the same thing with alpha 2 and beta 1 access. More than 70% of the cost of ALL the packages, comes from the in game subscription fee and the in-game marketplace credits.

I understand that the amount is being charged because of the sheer amount of cosmetics that you're offering in every package but why even do that in the first place? Why not just offer a single unique piece of cosmetic, for every package alike, every month? Like a belt for one month, a mount the next etc. This will help bring so much of the cost of these packages down and make it far more accessible to the average joe.

I want to buy the beta 1 or 2 packages, but they're just too expensive. I can buy WoW, with 3 months of in-game time, for the amount it takes to just get access to AoC's beta 2 and I would STILL have about 3 bucks left over. That seems kind of ridiculous to me. Why does the beta version of a game, that won't be out for the next 2 or 3 years, cost more than another, fully finished, 15 year old game?

Comments

• Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just throwing darts here, but If I had to guess on a few reasons the prices are so high it would be

* With high cost you're more likely to get a more vested player than someone who paid 10-25.00
    * Knowing they have limited Beta and Alpha spots the cost will keep the numbers down

I understand where you're coming from though, for many people it is cost prohibitive.
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Sandman wrote: »
    Just throwing darts here, but If I had to guess on a few reasons the prices are so high it would be

* With high cost you're more likely to get a more vested player than someone who paid 10-25.00
    * Knowing they have limited Beta and Alpha spots the cost will keep the numbers down

I understand where you're coming from though, for many people it is cost prohibitive.

The first point is fairly reasonable and you can apply it to alpha 1 and 2 access as feedback during these stages is very important and having sincere players will help you obtain that crucial feedback. But beta 2? I don't really think so. Feedback during beta 2 is nowhere near as valuable as feedback during alpha 1,2 and beta 1. So it doesn't really make sense to charge such a high amount just for beta 2 access. I would be willing to pay 40 dollars or so...but 75? That's a little too much.

As for your second point, again it makes sense. But this shouldn't be something that is hidden. Why not be open about how many spots there are in total? I'm sure that IS has a rough idea of the amount of people that will be allowed access to the alpha 2 and beta 1&2 phases.
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can see your arguement for Beta 2, again the only reason I can think to justify this would just be how much exposure they want to give, and how much room they have alotted for that.

Again I can completly understand your position.
  • Options
    It is probably because they want people invested in the game to test it. Even Beta 2 is still testing. Not playing the game.
    They want people who will help make sure the game is the best it can be instead of people just wandering around trying to make sure they have an advantage on launch.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not going to speculate about their reasoning, nor am I going to defend their pricing. All I'm going to say is that if you think something is not worth your money. Don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    The pricing takes advantage of the Cost Sunk Fallacy. Basically, if someone buys these packages at a high price, they’re much more likely to actually use what’s included in the package because they will feel more invested.

If I pay $15 for a game, and I don’t enjoy it, whatever, no loss to just quit it. If I pay $60 for a game, then I’m far more likely to give it another try.

Likewise if I spent $50 for Alpha 2 - Beta 2 access, I wouldn’t feel compelled to test it, since it’s hardly half a day’s wage. But I spent a few hundred on test access, which came with ingame time and shop credits and cosmetics, so I fully intend to give feedback during all test phases.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Likewise if I spent $50 for Alpha 2 - Beta 2 access, I wouldn’t feel compelled to test it, since it’s hardly half a day’s wage. But I spent a few hundred on test access, which came with ingame time and shop credits and cosmetics, so I fully intend to give feedback during all test phases.

I think any normal person who spends 40 or so dollars on beta 2 access will be more than willing enough to test it completely. Not everyone has that kind of money to throw out for free.

But 75$ is just too much for beta 2. Heck I'd even be willing to pay 50$.

• Options
    SangramoireSangramoire Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

I think any normal person who spends 40 or so dollars on beta 2 access will be more than willing enough to test it completely. Not everyone has that kind of money to throw out for free.

I think read or heard somewhere about how many players they want testing each phase so I think that's their main concern. Since alpha 1 nor alpha 2 are even out yet, there's not real telling exactly how many people they would want for beta 1 and 2 so putting such a low price on those right now might over compromise them and end up getting too many players for testing purposes. Also, I'm guessing even though they don't need the money for the development of the game right now, it's still useful for future development plans and to expand like they recently did. They announced that they will be self publishing in EU as well and I'm sure all the money from the packages and other things helped with that.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

I think read or heard somewhere about how many players they want testing each phase so I think that's their main concern. Since alpha 1 nor alpha 2 are even out yet, there's not real telling exactly how many people they would want for beta 1 and 2 so putting such a low price on those right now might over compromise them and end up getting too many players for testing purposes. Also, I'm guessing even though they don't need the money for the development of the game right now, it's still useful for future development plans and to expand like they recently did. They announced that they will be self publishing in EU as well and I'm sure all the money from the packages and other things helped with that.

Well yea....but this post was made before that tweet. So rip.
  • Options
    Like has been said, it comes down to that there's obviously a cap on the amount of players they can let in, and that includes beta 1 and 2.

Beta 1 and 2 are also very important, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

It's a lot of money yes, and maybe it could be a little lower, but if AoC continues to rise in popularity, that price won't stop people from buying up those spots very fast. When you go for lower price, you risk capping out on players that don't really care that much for the game.

That last part might seem crazy, as why would you waste money like that? Well, that's the reality of the world, there are always going to be people who just don't care about that money, and just buys it because it looks cool or something.

At least with a higher price, you limit that from happening somewhat.

I also personally like that they include mostly monthly subscriptions for that money, because then if I do end up playing the game, I haven't really spend that much money in the end.
  • Options
    Investments come with risks. It took me a while to invest into this game. I wanted to help make it better. I had decided since I was tired of looking for an MMO the last 2 years or so; I would invest in the most promising production available. I did my homework, reviewed online, read posts, watched videos....and this looked like the best option. I wanted to be part of a community where I could provide feedback and assist in making something fun and awesome. I didn't do it to play the game, because I been through other betas/alphas before and I know what I am getting into.

I want to make the best contribution that I can so when I do get to play the game, I won't question too much on how come tester's didn't report this or that. I been waiting for that 1 MMO to get me back on point and this could be it. These days; good developer's are hard to come by, and this studio looks like they been making great moves for a while by expanding and adding talented member's to the team. This is a rare opportunity to be part of something that could very well be really special, and I want to be part of that.
  • Options
    Look, there was a vision in the beginning of great understanding by both forego developers Steven and Bard. Now if if they want to build a good MMO like they want to, they gonna need bread. With the drop of my.games publisher, they finally understand how much fiat trash there really is in the marketplace. Pay to build, build great game. HAHA