Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

(Devs) pre-order road map request?

Tl;dr - 1) how many A2 packs will be sold in total, 2) can we get a pet/mount preview?

So over at the store the minimum price for a package granting access to alpha 2 is $250 (which based on my math is very worth it). The package also contains some cosmetic rewards which change on a monthly basis. It seems there is also a possibility for the number of players given access to alpha 2 to hit its cap, resulting in that package being removed from the store.

If it were possible to purchase the package before the cap is reached and then just pick whatever cosmetic you wanted, there would be no issue (as long as you got it before the cap is reached). But with skins changing, it's a kind of game where we wait for a cosmetic we like that is also available before the cap is reached.

It seems like this solution could be reached by publicizing the number of A2 slots available vs taken currently (like 350/10,000 etc). Because then we could gague how much time we might have to play cosmetic - roulette.

Also (and possibly in addition to) a solution could be as simple as just sharing themes for upcoming packages in the future. For example, last month was swampy thing, this month is rainbow frog. Maybe they could go "sept is a grassland theme, Oct is a spooky forest theme, Nov is a farm theme, etc."
This way they don't have to provide guaranteed cosmetics but at lease we know what kind of thing we can expect to help us decide when to purchase the pack.

If I had stacks of $100s like toilet paper, this would all be a non-issue. But as a guy wanting to support the game and having to save a little for it, Im just trying to get better conditions under which I finally let intrepid take my money.

Is anything like this remotely possible devs (or also those with extensive knowledge about what might be coming)?

Comments

• Options
    AtiqaAtiqa Member
    edited August 2020
    I do have to agree with this. Not so much for the designs personally, but because it is a lot of money, and I do think it's a big risk spending all that this early. Personally it does feel wrong to spend that much without even having seen anything from Alpha 1.

Right now I'm at very least waiting for info on if there will be a new EU store now, and when that will be up and running if that's the case. So I sure hope doesn't cap now.

Would be awesome to have a counter for it like you said.
  • Options
    Like a lot of people who put in thousands of dollars before there was anything (Kickstarter, Summer Backer, Intrepid Pack, etc.), it is a leap of faith to put your money into something you cannot even see.
    I have missed a few great items that I would have loved to have. There are others that I liked the idea of and got it even though it was a pretty vague concept art.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like a roadmap mostly b/c I'm a fan of clarity and transparency.

Thing is I don't know how far in advance they've planned b/c we still have a few years to go.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    AtiqaAtiqa Member
    edited August 2020
    Like a lot of people who put in thousands of dollars before there was anything (Kickstarter, Summer Backer, Intrepid Pack, etc.), it is a leap of faith to put your money into something you cannot even see.
    I have missed a few great items that I would have loved to have. There are others that I liked the idea of and got it even though it was a pretty vague concept art.

It's still a leap of faith if you buy one in like 3 months. Thing is, it's kinda stressful not knowing if they hit the cap like today or something. At least I would hope for some warning that they are reaching the end.

Edit: At the very least I'm not buying a pack right now until we know if there will be an EU store. I would rather not pay ton of extra money in form of VAT if not necessary. And who's to say they don't end Alpha 2 access packs now?
  • Options
    it is a leap of faith to put your money into something you cannot even see.

The thing is I am willing to give them the $250 now (well not now, maybe next paycheck). I would just like to be able to either pick my cosmetic reward, or be guaranteed one I will like (or hate the least). If that seems unreasonable, then you have to ask why they even advertise it at all and dont just instead say something like "mystery cosmetics".

I get that they might not know what cosmetics they will offer in the future. But it would be great if they could share what they are planning on. Or just offer the packs with the option to get the current cosmetic, or instead any one of the previous cosmetic options.
  • Options
    They have said many times that they will give lots of notice if they plan on stopping the sale of A2 or other access.

Again, it is a leap of faith. If you have that faith, you can purchase. If you don't, then don't. It is a completely voluntary purchase. They have said that there will be equivalent items in game. The ones in the shop are unique and that specific colour scheme or glitter, or something will not be the same.
  • Options
    They have said many times that they will give lots of notice if they plan on stopping the sale of A2 or other access.

I wasnt aware of this. So the only issue for me now is trying to get a cosmetic that I like, and then not really preferring the current system of "here's this months! If you dont like it, wait until next month to see if you like that."
  • Options
    RedFloRedFlo Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

And that is all we need to know. Sure it would be nice to know, how many people already bought a Alpha 2 pack, but at the end of the day, all that matters, if you want to be part of A2 is, that they will give head notice before stopping the sale.
  • Options
    Pretty sure if you buy a package now you have the option to buy cosmetics in later packs individually if you like them.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Reglon wrote: »
    Pretty sure if you buy a package now you have the option to buy cosmetics in later packs individually if you like them.

This image may help with visualization of how purchase of future cosmetics works.
    Individual_purchase.png?width=1449&height=774
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    right unknownsystemerror

my question is how does that image confirm that you can buy later cosmetic packs?

Also buying a cosmetic pack is not the same as getting the one you like when you preorder. Its a small issue, I admit. But thats why I raised the question about is there any possible way to get a sneak peak at future packs.
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Major holidays do tend to get themes for the month's cosmetics. Seasons as a whole effect the tastes of the cosmetic packs. You won't get a lot of winter at this time of the year.

Themes that we have no way of expecting would be more like racial or cultural themes. There are months where they have several races mixed into a single pack. I don't think we'll get any road map on racial or cultural themes. They seem to like to do whatever might look cool for the seasonal themes.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    right unknownsystemerror

my question is how does that image confirm that you can buy later cosmetic packs?

Also buying a cosmetic pack is not the same as getting the one you like when you preorder. Its a small issue, I admit. But thats why I raised the question about is there any possible way to get a sneak peak at future packs.

@TheGoodzilla

If you buy a pack you can individually purchase parts of later packs if you want them. I have a Kickstarter package and every month I can purchase parts of the monthly cosmetics if I want to. In fact, I bought the exact stag mount unknown system error displayed in that diagram. So if you buy a pack at $250 and find cosmetics you like in later months you can buy them without having to buy a whole new pack.

There is no way to preview what future months cosmetics will be. It's always going to be a surprise unless you get a job with Intrepid.
    Future Py'rai (M) - Shaman, Enchanter, Soul Weaver, Templar, or Necromancer (Pending)
    Future Crafting Plans: Herbalism > Alchemy & Scribe or Mining > Metalworking > Jewel cutting (Pending)
  • Options
    lunarsky wrote: »
    There is no way to preview what future months cosmetics will be. It's always going to be a surprise unless you get a job with Intrepid.

#sadface
  • Options
    They offer announcements on the next set of cosmetics a couple weeks in advance on the Discord so people can decide to wait or not.

• Options
    Dies that info get posted anywhere else? Because I haven't seen the preview for Sept yet.
  • Options
    Important note on the purchase of the cosmetics is that you can only purchase up to the level you get in future packs, but I believe you can also upgrade your pack later as well (ie there is a ship or wagon model that you really want but you didn't purchase up to that level). I think you can feel safe in waiting for now til cosmetics that you like are in the package, but the option to buy future cosmetics if you buy a pack now is definitely there.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2020
    Dies that info get posted anywhere else? Because I haven't seen the preview for Sept yet.

It usually gets posted a few days in advance of the pack changing over, not weeks. Steven did show us the pet and mount cosmetics for next months pack in Discord last night.

If you're not in the Discord, I recommend joining it as most information gets posted there.

Pet:
    pahvu6v8dhj51.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a039f439b10d004d475716ad65442a80d9d05bc7

Mount:
    nxkilb26dhj51.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3a9007050d6efe5e0f44c49ae7ec73048d06a37f
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    o.O

MUST GET!