Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Necessity for Hot Buttons

Just wondering how many abilities each class will have. I hope that either it will be possible to macro abilities, or there will be fewer than 20 or so combat abilities needed to play each class. There are few things more awkward than having to ALT/Shift/CTRL to extend your hot button capacity because your class has 397 combat abilities.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sadly, we will have signiticantly fewer than 20 abilities that we are able to use at any given time.

Probably closer to half of that.

So rather than having issues with enough hot buttons (which really is easily solved), we will have issues with somewhat boring combat due to so few abilities.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited August 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    Sadly, we will have signiticantly fewer than 20 abilities that we are able to use at any given time.

So rather than having issues with enough hot buttons (which really is easily solved), we will have issues with somewhat boring combat due to so few abilities.

I'm not entirely sure thats accurate. Responding to a question if the shown 13 slot hotbar is what we'll be limited to steven said you could have multiple hotbars. Unless we've got a more definitive answer this is what I've found on the wiki about it, from the march 2020 livestream specifically. 1:41:42 if the timestamp isn't working.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MJfCNq8uI&feature=youtu.be&t=1h41m42s
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface#Action_bar
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited August 2020
    Ashes is being designed with about 10-15 active combat abilities, which is plenty for good combat.

Some people are a little too attached to that repulsive mess of five hot bars, three sidebars, plus one up top for utility. I hated that about FFXIV
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Noaani wrote: »

Hell no. I'd rather have 15 abilities and focus on actively comboing them as opposed to having 30 abilities and not using a lot of them. Its one of the main reasons I quit WoW. GW2 has 12 abilities or so if I remember. Nobody is complaining about its combat being boring.

Besides, Steven said that you can have upto 30 abilities, or invest your skill points into further progressing a single ability, upto 3 times. So something like 1 point in 30 abilities, or 3 points in 10 abilities.
  • Options
    JindranJindran Member
    edited August 2020
    Aion main tank player here.
    Aion has 30+ normal skills for each class (depends on the patch), 12+ stigmas which are special skills for special slots which majority of them are in two main skill trees defensive (party buffs and sustain, etc) and offensive (single target burst DPS + cc) for tank. There are 6 normal stigmas slots and 6 greater stigmas slots so you can not use them all and you have to choose.
    In Ashes we have less skills, that is true, but we also have a lot of more classes, so it balances things out. Since we know tank skills, as a main tank, i can say we have majority of skills we need to be efficient in both

PvP
    We have plenty of CC (Stuns, Pull (which can be upgraded to lvl 3 and can pull up to 5 ppl! That is one of the most important AoE CC skill in PvP), Knock down single target and AoE and Target lock, some debuffs such us bleeding, Bodyguard skill, which is also very important, and some other skills mostly DPS ones.

PvE
    We need decent aggro/threat generation skills and DPS ones to keep the aggro and thats pretty much it, which we have.

Overall i would like to have more buffs for DPS like dmg up by X % for X duration but decreases defense by X amount and party sustain buff like X amount of HP or defenses up for X duration, but thats my personal opinion.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dont forget, that you will be able to in invest skill points in your abilities while either going tall or wide.
    I myself plan on focusing on 5 spells/abilities.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    I don't think we are currently in the position to plan anything if we don't know how anything works.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Raidri wrote: »
    I don't think we are currently in the position to plan anything if we don't know how anything works.

They already said that people will be able to either go for few abilities or for a multitude of abilities that wont be as strong.

"Players receive skill points as they level. These can be used to level up skills within their active, passive or combat/weapon skill trees.

It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
    In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.
    Players are able to reset and reallocate their skill points."
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Ashes is being designed with about 10-15 active combat abilities, which is plenty for good combat.

Some people are a little too attached that repulsive mess of five hot bars, three sidebars, plus one up top for utility. I hated that about FFXIV

Exactly! Having more abilities than available buttons on your keyboard is just annoying. I'm here to play games, not be a concert pianist :D
  • Options
    Dont forget, that you will be able to in invest skill points in your abilities while either going tall or wide.

Ok it won't be that low. You will have at minimum 10 to 15 spells even if you go all in on them.