Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Quest logs and NPC interaction

Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
In my opinion, quest logs and NPC interactions being fun comes down to making paying attention feel rewarding

I'd like to argue that text based interaction with NPCs feels more organic compared to current implementation of answer selection by clicking on baked-in lines

Text based meaning you have to type your answer in the chat box, for example let's say the quest is to gather 10 iron ores or wood logs, at the end of the description the npc could ask what's your choice and the player will have to type "iron ores" or "wood logs"

Also, the quest dialog will have the key words highlighted to help quickly get the relevant info instead of having to read everything

Using above example, the words "iron ores" and "wood logs" should be highlighted like this

Those who want to immerse themselves in the story would read everything and those who don't care as much or don't have the time to read could understand quickly what needs to be done

This way you could have both rich and easy to digest quest dialogs

If it's too much text or dry dialogs players eventually much rather Google the answer for more complicated quests and puzzles

Comments

• Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited August 2020
    Characters reading some of their text out loud can help me pay attention. Doesn't have to be fully voiced, but having to read the entire paragraph of a quest can get pretty boring if that's all the game is. I personally don't like systems built for lore. I just like when random stuff is out in the world that tells a story on it's own. Whether that be with enemy placement, doodad placement, readable items out in the world, architecture out in the world, and not require quests to tell the entire story of the game.

I'd prefer not to have dialogue for quests as meaningless as collect 10 x. That or keep it to like 1 or 2 sentence only. That way when you get a quest with text or dialogue it means something. I'd rather the world tell it's own story and not rely on npcs to do it on their own.

If it were my choice I wouldn't even have leveling quests in the game. Quests would be end game content only. However you could speak to npcs on your own as an option.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East