Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Raid Boss Content Idea (compilation?)

KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
If a thread like this has been done before, I couldn't find it! If not, it would be cool to have a list of boss ideas for the community to read and maybe get picked up by the team to use in game! I literally had a dream last night about this boss fight......no idea why. Maybe I am just this damn excited ><. My wife didn't want to hear about this so here I am haha.

My idea - Top tier raid boss from a fully developed node in an earth/swamp area. Currently not named.

At first glance, this boss is a giant pile of Muck from the swamp. Like, massive. Almost filling the size of 33% of the room on the opposite side from the door. The room is a dome shape and there are various holes in the walls the size of doors (20 or so). The floor is solid all around with normal cave like textures. The tank yells Leroy Jenkins and pulls.

All damage on the boss at this point is 100% mitigated with full damage reduction. The boss initiates phase 1 and sheds 33% of it's mud in all directions spawning mud monsters all around the room. a couple large tank monsters, a dozen or so small monsters and several ranged monsters in random doors along the walls. Tanks need to pick up the large ones, CC the small ones when needed but dps them down with melee and ranged must handle the monsters along the walls. The boss is only mitigating 66% of all damage at this point because it shed 33% of it's mud.

When both tank adds die, the boss initiates phase 2 by dropping another 33% of it's mud in all directions. This time Ranged adds spawn again along the walls as well as another large tank boss (but deadlier) that must be tank swapped as it applies a debuff to whatever tank it is on to take 100% increased damage. During the time there is mud falling from the ceiling that deals damage and causes slow attack speed and a stacking debuff of damage over time. The boss entity is only reducing 33% of all damage because 66% has been shed.

Once this phase ends with that mini boss dying, phase 3 begins.This is the (true) DPS phase even though some damage may be viable during phase 2. The boss sheds all remaining mud causing him to take 50% increased damage (now taking 150% in total) while he charges up his summoning spells. He is revealed to be just a man (or women) who is controlling the mud he is summoning. The remaining 33% mud he shed is now causing the raid to avoid an increased amount of falling mud (same mechanic as phase 2), a beam that shoots from a portal above the summoner at random targets (that aoe's X meters from the target), and a raid wide movement speed debuff that ends after his summoning is complete.

This boss is a dark summoner who has mastered Earth and Water magic. This boss fight should be completed by the end of the second dps phase. You can have his voice muffled at the start but become clearer as he sheds the mud each time as if his summon has consumed him.

I'd like to read other boss fight ideas if anyone has any. I am extremely bored and have roughly 2 years to waste :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I know a lot of people skipped reading this because it's long but I couldn't even get any feedback? Or even a negative comment? lol. This would be a fun fight!
  • Options
    KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I like your boss fight idea. Not a fully tank-n-spank kind of fight, which I like. I haven't thought much about boss fights, but after reading this I may comment again with my own thoughts. Hopefully Intrepid adds something like this to the game!
  • Options
    @KHRONUS Sounds pretty cool. I just posted a wall of text in a similar thread for a world boss/event. Brb.
  • Options
    RoblightRoblight Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think your boss fight would be more interesting if part of the mechanics was the boss mixing water and earth in different combinations for different spells. Change the environment a little to have it in a cave with a underground river flowing through (maybe feeds into the swamp). The boss then takes from the earth causing rocks to fall from the ceiling for earth spells, pulls from the river causing a flood for water spells and when pulls from both creates a mixed spell.

Part of the mechanic could be interacting with the environment to mess with the bosses spells ie too much water or earth, destroying the rocks the boss is trying to gather, clearing a blocked path so the water drains from the boss room so not as much for the boss to use.
  • Options
    @KHRONUS wall of text inc.

A blood moon. Happens once every third in game year, in the fall.

A lycanthrope boss spawns. Everybody who kills the world boss gets infected with lycanthropy. This version is incurable and they'll have about 30 seconds to loot the boss. They then become lycans and can infect other players.

A lycanthrope will be a transformation, enhanced damage movement and a unique skill bar. On this bar will have a skill: infected bite, this debuffs the target with lycanthropy.
    Lycanthropy lasts 16 min. If the timer expires or HP reaches 0 you are transformed. Multiple applications of infected bite reduce the timer by 4 minutes each bite. All forms of chat are disabled for the transformed. You will no longer be able to understand your friends😈

A professional monster Slayer not called a Witcher arrives, opens quest chain to build a temporary shrine to cleanse those who haven't been turned, and grants immunity to those not yet infected to fight back. This NPC will spawn on the world bosses death, or after the first hour of the event starting. Whichever comes first. Once the shrine is complete or the end of the second hour and if the world boss is up he'll move to engage the NPC. If the monster Slayer is defeated the event fails.

Players infected with lycanthropy will respawn as lycans near where the boss first spawned, unless slain by a player who has been blessed at the event shrine. At which point they respawn as their normal self and can aide the defenders.

Victory condition would require at least 80% of the fully turned lycanthrope population be eradicated and the event boss slain. The boss will have an aura that heals player lycans, and will drop double loot if killed with the monster Slayer present. He'll also be a raid boss and can one shot player lycans. They will rally as defenders near the shrine. He won't drop any loot but if a player manages to land the killing blow on him they'll get an achievement and title 'Slayer of Monster Slayers'.

On next sun rise, the professional monster Slayer, not named Geralt, becomes a vendor who trades multiple lycan pelts for various rewards including a potion that is a one time use than can cure lycanthropy. ( Removes debuff in pre-transformation, not soul bound)

Player's who remain lycans by the next sun rise revert back to their normal form until the next blood moon. 3 in-game days before the next blood moon the lycanthropy debuff will return.
    Only the infected player will know that they have this debuff.
    They will be able to cure this debuff within the in game 3 day window assuming they can get their hands on the potion sold from the victory condition of the last blood moon.

However, the debuff will provide increased stats and combat procs that get stronger at night and even stronger the closer to the blood moon you get. On normal full moons leading up to the event you'd see a 3% global stat buff.
    Once turned on the blood moon, monsters become friendly, guards and player's will not. No matter where you are in the world you are free to infect as many players as you can, once they turn/die they're teleported via some sort of wild hunt themed juju to the events rally point for lycans. You won't be teleported unless your health reaches zero or remain out of combat for a certain amount of time. The blood moon demands your blood lust.

As for the vendor the rewards could be cosmetic wearwolf hunting gear/garb silver etched weapons and enchantments that do bonus damage to lycans. A consumable that lets you track lycans, and the cure potion.
    The cost in pelts should be high enough to require farming the event multiple times to get everything.
    The bosses loot tables should be up to the devs, but nothing from the vendor should be soul bound, including the lycan pelts.
    πŸŒ’πŸŒ“πŸŒ”πŸŒ•πŸΊ
  • Options
    As far as boss fights I have been thinking of is more of a mechanic with the world. Would be very interested to see mobs change with the day and night cycle. Think of higher level mobs leaving their caves that they are in during the day to come out at night and hunt players down.

That would lead to one of the first bosses I would imagine, a wolf thats sole purpose is to run around the map and hunt down players and other mobs. How you fight it at night in the open would differ from how you fight it during the day in its lair. This type of boss would be somewhat basic since its just based off a regular wolf. the interesting aspect would be that it hunts down players at night. Would make running around the world feel a lot more dangerous knowing a boss wolf is literally trying to hunt you down and eat you.
  • Options
    @Roblight Orly? Me too. What do you think of my blood moon event idea?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Roblight Orly? Me too. What do you think of my blood moon event idea?
    @Hurf Derfman
    I like the idea, I think it could easily be applied to a lot of themes like vampires, cults and other aspects that would make for pretty interesting events. I probably would add some form of an objective that the lycans are trying to achieve. Like say during the blood moon a tree or something at a town does something special. Like a blood orange tree said to have grown from the bodies of a massive battle and never grows fruit as well for some reason during that blood moon has grown a single fruit. That is what the lycans are after because the boss wants to eat it or something.

Essentially adding a bit of a purpose to the lycan side other than running around like hungry dogs. Part of the event could be that chat is disabled for them like you said and they all have to try and figure out which town it is. Spreading out infecting others and then howling to call others to the appropriate town once found. That would make it a bit interesting, though things like reddit, streams, discord and all will kinda mess with that. But otherwise could be interesting to see players doing what players do best, swarm and infect the world looking for that one thing of purpose.
  • Options
    @Roblight your tree idea sounds pretty metal. Maybe it could buff the boss in some way? With the objective being the monster slayers defeat? Maybe spawn adds MOBA style?
    The reward for being a lycan would be a static stat buff that goes from zero to 3% at night depending on the moon cycle with it being kinda op the few IRL hours leading up to the blood moon.
    You'd then be forced to participate by turning others no matter you location or risk getting teleported to the event. You are cursed after all. If you try to cheese it and logout during the four hour night cycle you'd wake up nude near where the event took place, apparently during your rampage a benevolent monster Slayer cured you of your affliction. Trying to remain cursed would also mean passing on loot that comes from an event that would only happen every 3ish months.
  • Options
    @Hurf Derfman yea a lot of ways you could take the lycans achieving their objective. Perhaps if the boss attains and eats the fruit the curse is broken temporarily (for the players only) and the lycan boss perhaps becomes a more permanent being in that zone. Essentially taking over a nearby node and during the nights anybody afflicted with the lycanthropy will potentially be summoned to serve the lycan boss in hunting players during the night. Essentially almost the same aspects of a player built town trying to level up the node but its the lycans at night trying to level up the den of the lycan boss.

This could create an event where the map begins to change and players either force back the lycans and look for a new way to defeat the empowered lycan boss by working with the faction that was sent to defeat the boss.

Essentially using the node system as intended but linking it up with an event
  • Options
    @Roblight
    πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
    You're right there has to be some sort of negative repercussion if the cursed win the event. Having to siege an NPC node would be interesting. Rather than forcing players back every night, the node could emit a node/regional miasma that spawns tough elites at night but don't drop anything. Something like headless horseman or riders of the wild hunt. An NPC gank patrol.

As for the event itself aspects of it would have to unlock phases over the course of the servers life cycle. So for example, the very first time it happens on a server the monster Slayer doesn't spawn until the world bosses defeated. then on the second blood moon the trees could spawn.

Considering what you said about the trees: multiple trees, one fruit at a time, fruit grow as player's get converted in the radius of the event.
    The trees could grow in real time over the three day moon cycle leading up to the event.
    Since it's a big world a little heads up for the citizens of that region would be for the best.
    I realize there would be some trying to convert others outside of the events radius without dying in effort to teleport their victims to the event and keep their buff since once the shrine is built defenders will have a huge edge and defeated lycan become defenders.
    That's also why items from the event vendor are made to defend against lycan, and are not soul bound.
    If a castle siege lands on a blood moon not only will the werewolves be hostile to their own team but those they infect get sent to the event and eventually over time there will be counter measures against werewolves introduced into the larger economy. Buuut if that siege were to happen 8 hours (ie the night before) the blood moon then those cursed duders would be beast mode.
  • Options
    @Hurf Derfman Your idea is certainly interesting : ). I like the idea of a world event that people can look forward to at certain times. I've honestly never really been into werewolves or vampires personally (I'm weird) but I would happily accept the challenge should something like this be in the game!

@kesarakk I would be honored to read your boss ideas! 99% chance nothing we say makes it into the game but you never know!

@Roblight At first my idea was purely earth but I added water last minute when writing. I do like the idea of adding a water element to the area as well as the bosses spell kit. Maybe one half of the room floods, forcing the raid to slide left or right. My son said instead of a beam coming from his summoning portal, it should be a water element type of attack from it.

Thank you guys for reading it :smiley: