Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

MAYORS should be able to host FESTIVALS in their towns!

The Mayor system is awesome and I'm excited to hop into it. However I think that there could be a new system added into it, a Festival system.

It's a simple idea, Mayors would be able to gather resources/goods in order to hold festivals in their towns. These festivals could do a number of things like Node-wide XP buffs, Citizen based buffs, or maybe higher spawn rates for mobs/resources in that specific node.

Festivals could vary in size. Anything from a simple decoration of the town, up to a grand feast. There's tons of different ways a festival could be represented in game.

Festivals could also provide a number of limited time things for that node. Stuff like festival specific tavern games, in-game cosmetics like party hats, and maybe even parades. (I know the parades seem over the top but they'd look doooope.)

Festivals would obviously have a timer between them so they couldn't be abused back to back. Perhaps once a month just as a base.

There are plenty of problems that this system could cause, such as it conflicting with Sieges. (However, a Siege during a festival would be chaotic and wonderful.) This is all an idea that I bounced off of some people in the Discord, and they all seemed to enjoy the idea so I made this forum post.

Let me know what you think.

-Randy, King of Frognar

Comments

• Options
    I like the idea of having festivals in your town/city/metropolis. sounds like a nice touch to make the buzzing. 2 things though:

1: I think there should be a limit on it. No fun if the city is in festival mode all the time.
    2: Your worry about conflicting with sieges can be easily solved since sieges are announce x amount of time before they happen anyway. And as it stands now i believe some services will be unavailable already. So they can just add this to the list.
  • Options
    i like this idea based on:

-If your town or city needs to increase revenue outside of raising taxes, you could sell fireworks or seasonal items to increase revenue.
    -It should be time limited, like 1x per season which is 1x per month.
    -Should be different in every major city. (banners, guards, confetti.
    -Should be able to pass out leaflets with personal notes inviting people but only in the city your in. (would be interesting to see how far they travel!)
    xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options
    that would be interesting, and could add in more professions. I can already see some people selling festive objects!
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    A few things:
    1. The opportunity to hold a festival should either be every month for 3 days or once a week for one day. Why you may ask? Because every week the seasons will change in Ashes and that would make it a thematic weekly or monthly thing.
    Weekly would be thematic for each season (Easter, Summer Solstice, halloween, Christmas or their equivalents) or as a new years festival. One year survived another is comming with new challenges.
    2. Make it give a little buff to regeneration. A week long buff if it is monthly, or a 2 day long buff if it is weekly.
    3. They could make it like the Darkmoon Fair in WoW. Something that some people REALLY like, while other totally ignore it.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Why does this have to be a mechanic? Sounds awfully like a player run event. Why do we need the developer's to provide this feature? We have pew pew spells and swoosh swoosh swords. We can jump and /shout. We can discord music. We can get a cook to make cake. We can create our own content. This is what the developer's want. Player driven, not an artificial enviornment.

Sure, we might need some tools, like a halfling smog machine, or a pixie dancing ball. But a mayor event with a parade and ferris wheel? Who doing the quest or flipping the bill? the citizens? I hope your not squandering my taxes for events and not defence.

I'm out here fighting the big fight. And your having a party? WTF!?
  • Options
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    Why does this have to be a mechanic? Sounds awfully like a player run event. Why do we need the developer's to provide this feature? We have pew pew spells and swoosh swoosh swords. We can jump and /shout. We can discord music. We can get a cook to make cake. We can create our own content. This is what the developer's want. Player driven, not an artificial enviornment.

Sure, we might need some tools, like a halfling smog machine, or a pixie dancing ball. But a mayor event with a parade and ferris wheel? Who doing the quest or flipping the bill? the citizens? I hope your not squandering my taxes for events and not defence.

I'm out here fighting the big fight. And your having a party? WTF!?

the suggestion was for it to have node-wide buffs
  • Options
    Sounds like an idea for mayors to push there personal real life Ideologies into the game. I hate the idea. May this idea go down in to the abyss of forgotten horrors and crushed by a million forgotten horrors that came before it. Farewell good sir, farewell.
  • Options
    Triple wrote: »
    Sounds like an idea for mayors to push there personal real life Ideologies into the game. I hate the idea. May this idea go down in to the abyss of forgotten horrors and crushed by a million forgotten horrors that came before it. Farewell good sir, farewell.

I am really curious as to what you see before you when you read OP's suggestion. Could you elaborate a bit more?
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love this idea! How about it being a triggered event upon successful defense of your town. If you successfully siege a town then the opposing faction gets one. It's a reward for either side.

"You want a festival citizens? Earn it!"
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    I like this idea, maybe something they can add after the game releases. I’m all for more ideas for the game, but I don’t want them to add lots of small new things before releasing, don’t want another Star Citizen.

I would prefer it as a thing you can do on big holidays in real life, that way it’s something more special and something to look forward to. I know different people have different holidays, so someone would probably not like this because they don’t celebrate that holiday or your holiday isn’t included, but it’s the best idea I can think of when it comes to not having festivals too often in the game.
    Or like @mrwaffles idea, after a successful defense (but only for node stage 5&6 or maybe even 4). That way it wouldn’t happen too often and it’s an extra motivation to defend.

But I think it’s should be something the Mayor can start, but for the festival to happen the citizens of the node have a time limit to gather the resources for the festival, and if they don’t make it in time the resources will go back to the people that contributed so it wasn’t just a wast of resources because nobody else contributed.The people get a mail with them or something.
    Member_Baconbread.png
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    baconbread wrote: »
    I like this idea, maybe something they can add after the game releases. I’m all for more ideas for the game, but I don’t want them to add lots of small new things before releasing, don’t want another Star Citizen.

I would prefer it as a thing you can do on big holidays in real life, that way it’s something more special and something to look forward to. I know different people have different holidays, so someone would probably not like this because they don’t celebrate that holiday or your holiday isn’t included, but it’s the best idea I can think of when it comes to not having festivals too often in the game.
    Or like @mrwaffles idea, after a successful defense (but only for node stage 5&6 or maybe even 4). That way it wouldn’t happen too often and it’s an extra motivation to defend.

But I think it’s should be something the Mayor can start, but for the festival to happen the citizens of the node have a time limit to gather the resources for the festival, and if they don’t make it in time the resources will go back to the people that contributed so it wasn’t just a wast of resources because nobody else contributed.The people get a mail with them or something.

Or instead of getting a fix number of mats, all citizens get a significant resource chance boost but only in the nodes proximity. Make that real estate more valuable

E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2020
    RandyBK wrote: »
    TThere are plenty of problems that this system could cause, such as it conflicting with Sieges.

Just imagine the cinematic of people out laughing and drinking in the town square when, overhead, a flaming boulder arcs into the bell tower, smashing stone and sending rubble flying into the crowds.

Cut to one citizen picking up a chicken leg. He bites into it, sending a shiver down his spine - the citizen buff has activated. With steeled resolve, he proceeds to rally the town into an organised defence.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    baconbread wrote: »
    I would prefer it as a thing you can do on big holidays in real life
    I'm not a particular fan of this - nor of any in game events based on real holidays.

If the game has a detailed calendar, then holidays and festivals should follow that.

A system like this seems to me like a good addition to the game as a patch to the game mid way through a content cycle. A new feature that doesn't directly impact on other features, and doesn't really rely on the either.

I would think that it should only be available to nodes that are metropolis level or vassals of a metropolis node (or grand-vassals/great-grand-vassals). Allow nodes to pick a specific season to have their festival, and the effects of it are determined by that season and the node type.